Photo

Before or After???

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 amygirl1169

amygirl1169
  • 653 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:30 PM

We're doing it before we leave. Keeping it small and on the DL, but by no means a secret. If people ask, I'll tell them. It's too much hassle to do the real thing there!

I'm sure none of my guests would rather attend the city hall ceremony vs. the 'real' symbolic ceremony!

#22 AJandNate2010

AJandNate2010
    • 58 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

We are having our legal ceremony after we get back right before our reception (19 days after our DW). We were originally going to hold our legal ceremony before but then we thought of 2 things: 1. that was another party we have to plan, more money to spend and our family will have travel twice or even three times to see us. and 2. it will make our DW the first time we say our vows. It just makes it that much more special. Our DW date will be our anniversary date.
      http://ticker.7910.o....1hcnJpZWQh.gif

Final guest count... 63 adults and 10 kids!!

#23 YaelM

YaelM

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 5,369 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:53 PM

We did ours before and it was pretty informal and went by so fast. It was also at 10am and didnt feel at all like we were "married" Even though we ended up having our ceremony in Santa Barbara, CA (cancelled MX because of swine flu) the ceremony felt 100% real and to be honest it was only after saying our vows in front of our friends and family did i really feel married.

I personally think it would be weird for me to walk down the aisle and say vows at the DW and know that you arent quite married yet...KWIM?

#24 bosi

bosi
        • 131 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:17 AM

I am getting married at Beaches Negril Jamaica in January 2010. I thought the legal aspect would also be a part of the whole thing so Im a little confused about people asking about legal ceremonies in the US. Am I missin something?

#25 mexicana bride

mexicana bride
          • 165 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:09 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by bosi
            I am getting married at Beaches Negril Jamaica in January 2010. I thought the legal aspect would also be a part of the whole thing so Im a little confused about people asking about legal ceremonies in the US. Am I missin something?
            Some of us just don't want to deal with the legal paperwork transferring, blood tests, etc. That's all, so some will either have a legal ceremony before or after the DW.

#26 Sparkles8300

Sparkles8300
            • 349 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:05 PM

We also went ahead and did our legal ceremony back in January of 2009 and our wedding is December 2009, so it will be almost one year to the day since we had our first "legal" wedding. Nobody knows about us being married except for one of my bridesmaids (my best friend) and my FIs business partner. I had gotten laid off right about the time we got engaged and I really needed health insurance so we figured we would just get married in the courthouse sooner since we planned to do it before we left for Jamaica anyway. It did not feel like a real wedding at all and we do not consider ourselfs to have a had a wedding yet. The real wedding will be Dec 4, 2009!
              WE WERE SO BLESSED TO HAVE A PERFECT WEDDING WEEKEND FROM START TO FINISH!

My Planning Thread:http://bestdestinati....c-heavy-53105/Our Sungold Photograpy Slideshow to music:http://www.sungoldph....otter-hooters/http://tickers.Ticke....3c97/event.png

#27 ms.nadia

ms.nadia
              • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:35 AM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Sparkles8300
                We also went ahead and did our legal ceremony back in January of 2009 and our wedding is December 2009, so it will be almost one year to the day since we had our first "legal" wedding. Nobody knows about us being married except for one of my bridesmaids (my best friend) and my FIs business partner. I had gotten laid off right about the time we got engaged and I really needed health insurance so we figured we would just get married in the courthouse sooner since we planned to do it before we left for Jamaica anyway. It did not feel like a real wedding at all and we do not consider ourselfs to have a had a wedding yet. The real wedding will be Dec 4, 2009!
                Ohhh, Leslie! I'm so glad you posted!
                I was starting to think that we're the only couple in the world that's secretly married and planning a wedding but I feel like we're on more solid ground now!

Congrats!

#28 MrsJones2Be

MrsJones2Be
                • 311 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:57 AM

I am soooo glad to have read this thread, it has put me at ease! I know it was done a year ago- but it helps me now! Thanks ladies!

MRS JONES 2 BE!

#29 JKL_WeddingMexico

JKL_WeddingMexico
                  • 130 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:47 PM

I am having the same worries. We are getting legally married before we go as they require a marriage certificate to do the symbolic ceremony.  We have decided to have our BM and his wife to be our witness and we will only tell our parents when it is over with.  There were concerns of having our families there as if we only invite certain people others will then get hurt. Just doing it simple and plain and hopefully that will make our real day as real as possible.!

#30 bediva33

bediva33
                    • 118 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:18 AM

I would do it before you leave.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users