Sign in to follow this  
jessiee223

Should I register?

Have most people registered or plan to register if they are having a destination wedding? I have been going back and forth on the issue. Our guests are going to be paying for their travel and hotel stay already. I don't want them to feel like the have to get us a wedding gift on top of that.

On the other hand I think that some guests will want to bring something and I would rather them not have to guess at what we might like. Has anyone else had trouble deciding? Thanks for the input!

im here with you on that. We arnt sure either. Any help would be great girls and guys!!

Jessiee223: are you guys having a post-wedding reception/celebration?! We think we might be doing this, and werent sure if we should register or not. I'd rather our guests not bring gifts to Jamaica with us, Im just worried about getting them home safely :)

Definitely register. There will be people who can't make it to your wedding but want to get you something. It's better to have a registry than to have people give you random gifts. For your guests that are coming, tell them firmly that you consider their attendance your gift. We told them that we didn't want gifts because we didn't want to have to worry about how to get it home. That worked.

You definately want to register because we have tons of people that want to get us a gift that cant afford to go to mexico. Though the ones that are booked were told not to get us gifts because their gift is vacationing with us which means more to us. Though some are still giving us gifts anyway.

congrats on the 13 booked so far and the 9.6 pounds gone! exciting. Im pretty new to this stuff.. and i cant seem to even figure out how to post my picture! lol. I would like to say that we have 5 couples booked and we havent even gotten our invites out yet, and Im down 18 pds! woot woot! Planning is getting more and more exciting every day! Good luck and happy planning!!

I didn't want to register either, I had the same thoughts as you. But there are people who cant come and want to get you a little something, I was surprised how many got us gifts when we had my shower and it was easier for them after I registered.

We didn't really want to register either... we've both been living on our own for years and don't really "need" anything, and since people are flying to Mexico for the wedding, we didn't want to register for gifts too. But this thread is helpful... I'm still 4 months from the wedding and people are already asking me if we're registering. We are doing a reception at home a month or two after the wedding, so now we're leaning towards registering, but trying to think of a way to ask those coming to Mexico to not buy gifts, since they're taking a vacation to celebrate with us.

Islandbride2b: Great point about getting the gifts home safely. The last time we visited Mexico our bags were stuffed to the limit and we had to weigh each of them to make sure we wouldn't have to pay extra. Between the souveniers and duty free liquor and extra wedding stuff I don't know where we would put them!