Sorta DIY Wedding Cake?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 The Mandy in Chandy

The Mandy in Chandy
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:19 PM

I tried my hand and making wedding cakes, and let me tell you, after making the saddest looking cake ever I have a new appreciation for cake artists and why they charge so much.

I am trying not to spend too much on the cake, since many of you have said it's one thing you would have left out or cut costs on.

So I was thinking I could order 2 plain white frosted cakes from a bakery in the town I am marrying in, and just decorate them with some flowers.

Do you think this will look too...um...trashy? or cheap?

Has anyone pulled this off before?

#2 march132010

• 1,057 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:20 PM

I personally think, that would a great idea!!!!

#3 sperger

• Banned
      • 474 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

I have seen a very similar option where just to add color, instead of fondant they place a ribbon of whichever color your wedding is on the bottom of the cakes - it breaks up the layers, and adds more more color. Between that and the flowers, I think it will be fabulous!

#4 alkoch

• 515 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:37 PM

sounds like it would work good, maybe just talk to the bakery about it and see what they say, they might have some ideas to make it look professional

#5 The Mandy in Chandy

The Mandy in Chandy
          • 307 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:05 PM

I love the ribbon idea! Thanks gals! I think I'll do a trial run for someone's birthday between now and then :P

#6 ebredhawk

• 949 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:09 PM

mandy, i've taken a few wedding cake decorating classes and one of the suggestions we got once was if a bride would prefer a sheet cake because of cost, try instead a 2 layer cake. that way it gives it some height (especially for the flowers in your case, so they won't overpower the cake) and when you cut into it you'll get that really pretty, yummy look with several layers and filling. you'll get more servings out of a cake that way too!

Attached Files

#7 lexibride

• 276 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:17 PM

Hi! I decorate cakes part time and have a local shop. I think that whomever you order from should give you a basic price for a cake and then anything that would be extra they could price out. For instance, when I price a cake, if it's a buttercream cake, I don't charge more because it happens to have buttercream swags, as opposed to just being plain.

There should be some wiggle room on price, just make sure to tell them exactly what you want!!

#8 Sapphire723

• 888 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 02:46 PM

I think that it would be just fine to have it that way. In fact, you could have one small fancy looking cake to cut, and then just have sheet cake served to the guests.

Just make sure you double check with your place of reception before you get the cake from an outside source. Many places charge a "cutting" fee per guest.

#9 Amarillis

• 1,913 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:00 PM

My advice.... Don't ask for a wedding cake.... tell the bakery it is for a birthday.... My girlfriend did this for her backyard wedding, and ended up with the cake she wanted for 50$ less.... she had to put the topper on it herself....

Vendors generally fleece you b/c they know it is for a wedding.

#10 The Mandy in Chandy

The Mandy in Chandy
                    • 307 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:57 PM

That's a great tip about the birthday cake! I plan to "test them out" sometime this year before the wedding to see if the plain cakes are "good enough" and also make sure I can decorate it decently

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users