Photo

Is it "two-thousand nine" or "two-thousand AND nine"

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JOSIE

JOSIE
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:36 AM

This may be a silly question.......but my mom and I are debating? Which is gramatically correct when writing the year 2009 on the invites?

two-thousand nine

or

two-thousand AND nine

THANKS LADIES!!!!!!!

#2 boscobel

boscobel
    • VIP Member
    • 24,213 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:39 AM

Good question! I wasn't sure so tyuped it into google and apparently it's one of their saved queries - two thousand nine or two thousand and nine - Google Search

I would put "two thousand nine"....

#3 ~Nicole~

~Nicole~
      • 4,512 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:40 AM

Hmmmm...... I should proabably leave this question up to the teachers on the forum, but for some reason I always thought that gramatically "and" indicates a decimal point, so it would be two thousand nine Sorry, I guess I'm not much help but that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw that question.
        *Formerly Nikki07*
        My Planning Thread

#4 JOSIE

JOSIE
        • 1,792 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:43 AM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by carly
          Good question! I wasn't sure so tyuped it into google and apparently it's one of their saved queries - two thousand nine or two thousand and nine - Google Search

I would put "two thousand nine"....

I should have thought of this.......I googled before I posted, but I googled "how to spell 2009" lol!

#5 *Heather*

*Heather*

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 9,532 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:45 AM

I've read somewhere that technically it's supposed to be two thousand nine. No "and." I can't remember where I read it but I think that sounds better anyway

#6 JOSIE

JOSIE
            • 1,792 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:50 AM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Nikki07
              Hmmmm...... I should proabably leave this question up to the teachers on the forum, but for some reason I always thought that gramatically "and" indicates a decimal point, so it would be two thousand nine Sorry, I guess I'm not much help but that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw that question.
              This is exactly what I thought too!!

#7 JOSIE

JOSIE
              • 1,792 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:16 PM

OK so my mom is insisting on "two-thousand and nine". I am so confused! When I look at invitation websites they all have the "and" in there........but I honestly think that's incorrect!

Is this a battle I should just concede? I don't think people will notice anyway :) Maybe I am having a bridezilla (or as i like to call it - perfectionist) moment??

#8 boscobel

boscobel
                • VIP Member
                • 24,213 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:19 PM

Really, if your mom is insisting, I think you can concede this one to her (as long as you don't feel strongly about it). I don't think it matters either way, both look ok and it seems to be a matter of preference.

#9 britsytoll

britsytoll
                  • 129 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:21 PM

HA..this is a good question. I never thought of it. I am getting married in 2010 and I put two thousand and ten.

Honestly, I doubt people would notice. However I did a google search and couldn't really find anything.
                    http://tickers.Ticke....1f53/event.png

Bride & Groom + 41 Guests BOOKED~

#10 TightyWhitey

TightyWhitey
                    • 181 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:23 PM

I was told the correct way was "Two Thousand Nine" with no "and" but if your mother is insisting, I don't think it's that big of a deal to concede to her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users