hello all newbie from vancouver

hellomike

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstinson1503 View Post
Hello Mike,

Welcome to the forum; there is a wealth of information here about DW's. I'm actually the sister of the bride (that got stuck planning the entire wedding), but I am more than willing to share any information that I can about Cancun if you would be interested. The cost of a DW really depends on what you want & how many guests will be attending. We are having 25 guests & for everything (food, open bar, site, judge, papers, bloodwork, photography, cake, flowers, etc) we are paying close to $5000. Most of the resorts offer a free wedding coordinator when you book your wedding with them. My favorite resorts in Cancun to host a wedding would be Dreams Cancun, JW Marriott & Casa Magna. Dreams Cancun, I think offers the most complete wedding packages at the best prices, but they didn't have our date. If I can be of any help to you, please let me know. Have a great day & good luck!

KIM
Hi Kim,

Really appreciate your offer to help, as this has been very interesting and stressful time to decide what exactly we want. DW is certainly high on the list for us. that being said, i have a few more questions regarding costs in general.

as far as bribesmate and groomsman goes, and friends and family member. what do i have to cover and who do i have to cover and what type of costs?

i.e. i dont know if im suppose to pay for friends's accomodation or not ??

as u can see its those little things that im trying to make sure so i can have an idea what I may be looking at.

Thanks, Sincerely.

Mike

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hellomike! I'm from Vancouver and was in your position not too long ago. We were going to get married in Van. and decided not to b/c it would be so damn expensive! We chose Puerto Vallarta b/c it's closer then the Cancun side and not so humid! (Not to say I don't love the Mayan Riviera). Anyway, we're getting married at Dreams PV. Lemme know if you have any questions!

Mike,

As far as paying for the bridal parties travel arrangements, that's hard for me to really give advice on b/c the budget for my sister's wedding is really tight. That being said, it never even crossed our minds to cover the travel arrangements for the bridal party. My sister has her two sisters & our cousin as her bridesmaids (& it never would have crossed our minds to have her pay for our trips.) The groom has his brother & cousin, but also his best friend as his groomsmen. Everyone that's coming to the wedding is also using the trip as a vacation, so we didn't feel compelled to have to offer to pay for their vacations. I guess everyone may have a different opinion on this, but in my opinion, it isn't necessary to have to pay for the travel arrangements of the bridal party. Hope that helps; good luck!!

-KIM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayanbride78 View Post
hellomike! I'm from Vancouver and was in your position not too long ago. We were going to get married in Van. and decided not to b/c it would be so damn expensive! We chose Puerto Vallarta b/c it's closer then the Cancun side and not so humid! (Not to say I don't love the Mayan Riviera). Anyway, we're getting married at Dreams PV. Lemme know if you have any questions!
HIHI!!, Sounds like you had a great time down there huh.. That's what i'm hoping to have as well.. so to ask a bit more details here, did u plan it urself? i'm curious as to the process. and from what im hearing that most resort when u book a wedding package, they have their own resort planner that takes care everything for you, is that the truth?

Reason why i'm a bit nervous and concern is that since its a planning project far away from home and you have no control or knowing what to expect till the day of makes me a bit nervous and which is why i was thinking if its necessary to hire a DW wedding planner locally to ensure things as smooth sailing as possible.

Any more insights is greatly appreciated.

Mikesmile72.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstinson1503 View Post
Mike,

As far as paying for the bridal parties travel arrangements, that's hard for me to really give advice on b/c the budget for my sister's wedding is really tight. That being said, it never even crossed our minds to cover the travel arrangements for the bridal party. My sister has her two sisters & our cousin as her bridesmaids (& it never would have crossed our minds to have her pay for our trips.) The groom has his brother & cousin, but also his best friend as his groomsmen. Everyone that's coming to the wedding is also using the trip as a vacation, so we didn't feel compelled to have to offer to pay for their vacations. I guess everyone may have a different opinion on this, but in my opinion, it isn't necessary to have to pay for the travel arrangements of the bridal party. Hope that helps; good luck!!

-KIM-
Hi Kim,

i totally agree with you that i dont think theres a set rules that we have to and must do this or that. thanks for the clarifications.. i guess what i asked about the logistics of having a DW. did u hire a local wedding planner or did u just call & book and have the local wedding resort planner do everything for u? like i said in the previous post, not able to see or control since its a DW, makes me a bit nervous but then again i might be just over worry here etc.

Mike :)

Mike,

I am a very organized, planning freak, so I was really concerned about not being able to be hands on down there while planning the wedding. I have a great wedding coordinator at the resort we chose. I have talked with her everyday via email, asking questions & requesting pictures of EVERYTHING. This has made it so much easier to make choices, bc i can see what I'm picking. I think it's just important to keep in very close contact with the hotel wedding coordinator. I also think that once you choose your resort you will be able to get a better idea of whether you need a outside wedding planner; it's all a matter of how confident you are in the resort coordinators abilities. Good luck & have a great day!

-KIM-

• 3 weeks later...

Hello fellow Canadian! There are some great locations for weddings on the west coast of Mexico and given that you are from Vancouver, they are a little closer. Alaska Air has reasonably priced flights to this zone. As well, Westjet has several convenient direct flights. Rumour has it that Westjet will soon be opening up a direct flight to Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo also. Happy planning!