Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

What is duty?? Lol

#2882 pokeyholly

pokeyholly
    • 176 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by jreist 

Nope! 

I don't know the real rules, but I find that any orders from USA I pay duty on, and any orders from China I haven't had to pay duty on. 

Ah I guess that makes sense! I don't think I've ever ordered anything from China lol. But I'm definitely ordering those glasses. They're awesome! 

#2883 Ploman

Ploman
      • 425 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Marymack 

What is duty?? Lol

Taxes and fees that you have to pay to have some things imported into Canada. 

Iberostar Rose Hall Beach, Montego Bay

91 guests and counting....

#2884 lgerry

lgerry
        • 349 posts
        • Wedding Date:January 15, 2014
        • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Akumal, Riviera Maya, Mexico

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:19 AM

Nope! 

I don't know the real rules, but I find that any orders from USA I pay duty on, and any orders from China I haven't had to pay duty on. 

I could be totally off base here, but i think that anything that is shipped from the US, but is made outside of the US, you have to pay duty on. I just ordered my dress from a shop in Boston, MA, and all I had to pay was the taxes on it because the designer manufactures their dresses in the US. That saved me sooooooooooo much $$... Yay!! 

#2885 missroxy

missroxy
        • 178 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by lgerry 

I could be totally off base here, but i think that anything that is shipped from the US, but is made outside of the US, you have to pay duty on. I just ordered my dress from a shop in Boston, MA, and all I had to pay was the taxes on it because the designer manufactures their dresses in the US. That saved me sooooooooooo much $$... Yay!! 

Yep that's it. When something is MADE in the US or MEX, you will only pay taxes on it, no duty. Everything else is subject to taxes + duty. It's case by case, you don't always have to pay...Before ordering something, one should always consider the full amount with duty + taxes, and if they end up not charging you it's a bonus !

#2886 Ploman

Ploman
          • 425 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

Yes, Sorry I mixed those things up. From USA, I almost always either have to pay either duty, taxes, or fees from the shipping company to get it through the border. From China I never pay any of those. 

#2887 Marymack

Marymack
            • 414 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Got it now,thanks for explaining!!

#2888 FireyNurse

FireyNurse
              • 389 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:06 PM

For any of you ladies going to Mexico for sure, possibly other destinations, make sure you take receipts with you for what everything you are bringing in costs. We didn't carry much down with us, 15 small glass vases, about 5 frames with pictures, cellophane, wedding favours and cake server set and such and we were asked how much what we had was worth (the limit in Mexico is $300 to bring in) and my brother who was carrying just a couple frames and vases in his luggage was actually asked what his stuff was worth too. Nothing close to $300 but if you had a lot of stuff I could imagine them getting picky! Spreading it out amongst family members is a great option if available, just make sure you give them receipts in case they are asked :o)

#2889 chantal09

chantal09
                • 192 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

The sunglasses that I ordered from DHGate arrived and they are awesome!! They came to 75 cents each, free shipping, and arrived in about 2.5 weeks. Minimum order of 20.
                  I donno if this link will work, but this is the seller I bought it from (glitter2009): http://m.dhgate.com/...138b847813a04bc
                  Here is a pic[IMG]

Hey When did you order these? Was there an option for faster shipping? I wish I had done this now... I think its too late b/c we are flying on the 14th

#2890 Ploman

Ploman
                  • 425 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by chantal09 

Hey When did you order these? Was there an option for faster shipping? I wish I had done this now... I think its too late b/c we are flying on the 14th

I'm not sure if there was a faster option, but I think the 14th is pretty tight. DHGate warned me that there is a 3 day holiday starting today, and then it took a few days to process the order even before it shipped. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users