Photo

Great San Francisco Hotel - 4 Days 3 Nights

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Infinity22

Infinity22
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:35 PM

I'm trying to plan a surprise birthday present trip for my wife to San Francisco in the next 3-4 months and I'm in great need of some hotel advice. I'm looking for a great hotel that's located in the middle of everything. The Le Meridien has caught my eye so far but I'm not sure if that's the route to take. Can anyone help me with some suggestions

Thanks

#2 Jess

Jess
    • 4,455 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:50 PM

There are a TON of hotels up there. What kind of vibe do you want?

#3 Infinity22

Infinity22
      • 1,520 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:58 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Jess
        There are a TON of hotels up there. What kind of vibe do you want?
        Something like the Grand Hyatt Seattle. I've always liked a bit modern and contemporary, but not over the top.

#4 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
        • 11,659 posts
        • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:03 PM

i lived in downtown sf up until recently.

when you say in the middle of everything, what do you mean? do you want to be near downtown and union/square/shopping? or near the water/views? near tourist area?

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
        Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
        Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
        Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
        sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
        Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#5 Infinity22

Infinity22
        • 1,520 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:21 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Tammy Host
          i lived in downtown sf up until recently.

when you say in the middle of everything, what do you mean? do you want to be near downtown and union/square/shopping? or near the water/views? near tourist area?
          Any of the above, doesn't matter. She's never been before.

#6 Jess

Jess
          • 4,455 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 02:14 PM

Last time I stayed at the W downtown and it was great

#7 Infinity22

Infinity22
            • 1,520 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:07 PM

Ok, I want to stay near Market Street. Hotel Monaco and the Le Meridien have caught my eye so far.

#8 jenniebey

jenniebey
              • 842 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:26 PM

Le Meridien is a very nice hotel but is a bit of a walk from Union Square (maybe 10-12 blocks), but is very close to the embarcadero center which has some great shops, the ferry building which is very popular with the out of towners, and the embarcadero area which has a great restaurant selection and only a couple blocks from the bay.

Hotel Monaco is on the other side of Union Square so you're more in the thick of it in regards to the city, but still close to great shops, restaurants and powell street if you want to do the cable car.

The W is the closest probably to Market Street, and is only a couple blocks from the edge of Union Square. You're also close to the Metreon and Yerba Buena Gardens.

You can't go wrong with any of them and they're all just a short cab ride from anywhere downtown and neither is super close to fisherman's wharf.

A couple of things i recommend you do that I always do with out of town guests.

1. Drive or walk the Golden Gate Bridge. It's amazing and it still takes my breath away when i drive into town and see the whole city from the bridge.

2. If you get a chance, go up to Twin Peaks for the best view of the city you can imagine. You get a whole different perspective of SF.

3. Take the ferry either over to Tiburon or Sausalito for lunch.

Have a great trip!

#9 melody

melody
                • 236 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:08 AM

I love the Fairmont, not in downtown but being on the hilll the rooms (specially the new ones in the tower )have fantastic views plus you can take the cable car to downtown. Very romantic.

#10 Cindy&London

Cindy&London
                  • 258 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:53 AM

I have only been to SF once and I loved it so much!!
                    We stayed at The Palace.. all I know is that we were walking distance to downtown (Macy's) and alot of GREAT restaurants!! I was 7 months pregnant, so I ate alot lol!!

The Palace Hotel: San Francisco Hotel Reservations

What a great Bday present!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users