Photo

DIY LED lights for Paper Lanterns

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#1 San Fran Sarah

San Fran Sarah
  • 173 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:28 PM

I found this DIY project that I am pretty excited about. I'm going to make LED "throwies" to put inside chinese paper lanterns. This saves the hassle of dealing with electrical wiring. All you do is make these little throwies, attach then to the inside of your lanterns with clips or string, and then you can hang your lanterns with fishing wire. It can also save a bunch of money because the individual LED lights for lanterns are like $3 each. I just ordered my supplies (LED lights, batteries) I'll report back when I have finished the project. Here is two links that explain everything:
    Click the image to open in full size.

Now I just need to decide whether to use all white lanterns or colored lanterns (like the two pictures above). What do you all think? Are the colored lanterns going to look too cotton candy/ kids party during the day?

#2 Erin6341

Erin6341
    • 298 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:53 PM

Wow! This is an ambitious project, but I can't wait to see how it turns out. I personally like the all white look because of the classy elegance it exudes. Good Luck!

#3 GarlicBride

GarlicBride
      • 71 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

this is a wonderful idea and so cheap! Thanks so much for posting this - I have saved all the webpages!
        Hannah

#4 Jacilynda

Jacilynda
        • 2,777 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

I think it depends on your reception location. we are mixing color inside our palapa, but i think all white looks great for a beach reception. thanks i'm probably going to do this.

#5 Jacilynda

Jacilynda
          • 2,777 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:21 PM

I'm not doing the magnets, but i just bought 100 10mm led lights for $13.99 on ebay and 100 batteries for $16.50. that includes shipping, not bad

#6 jam8x2

jam8x2
            • 82 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 02:58 AM

I am really interested in these, I will for sure be looking into these. Great idea!

#7 Jacilynda

Jacilynda
              • 2,777 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:38 AM

Hey girls so as I mentioned before I spent $30 on 100 leds and the batteries (also included shipping). So tonight i put 2 leds together and put them inside a 14" lantern. here's a pic!

I really only think you need 2 lights, not 3. And maybe only 1 for 8" or 10" lanterns.

#8 Erin6341

Erin6341
                • 298 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 11:56 AM

Those look great!

#9 San Fran Sarah

San Fran Sarah
                  • 173 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:40 PM

Jacilynda--thanks for the helpful hints. I bought my LEDs and batteries but I haven't gotten around to making them yet. Did you only need 1 battery for each lantern or did you need 1 battery for each LED?
                    Did you try the on/off switch?

#10 DanielleNDerek

DanielleNDerek
                    • VIP Member
                    • 18,452 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:32 PM

those look great.
                      ***Married November 6, 2008***Gavin Born February 28th, 2010***
                      Paradisus Palma Real Wedding Review
                      Our Professional Wedding Pictures on Snapfish

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users