Photo

How strict are adult only resorts??

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lauren_Hirshon

Lauren_Hirshon
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:09 PM

I was wondering if anyone has been in this situation or had any suggestions about how I should handle this.... So I am getting married at the El Dorado Royale which is an adults only resort in February 2008. Everyone invited is over 18 with the exception of a close cousin who will be a couple months shy of his 18th birthday at the time of the wedding. My question (in an apparently long winded way!) is whether or not I should (1) ask the resort ahead of time if they will make an exception for my cousin (possibly even sign a waiver saying he wont drink alcohol?) (2) Pray that they dont realize he is not quite 18 or (3) Force my aunt and cousin to be the only ones in the whole wedding party to stay somewhere else

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

#2 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
    • VIP Member
    • 4,791 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:13 PM

How old does your cousin look? I'd think if he looks his age or slightly younger they may ask but if he looks older I don't see why they would...

Maybe call the hotel under a "pseudonym" and ask. Do some detective work, lol.

~ Jaime & Martin ~
      "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

#3 Lauren_Hirshon

Lauren_Hirshon
      • 33 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:17 PM

Thanks for responding :) He looks a lot older (lots of facial hair). Do you know if the resorts look at ID's or passports or anything when you check in?

#4 MelissaH

MelissaH
        • 1,724 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:36 AM

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't
          My 17 year old cousin (same situation - just a few weeks shy of her 18th birthday) had her passport checked at check-in but there were about 100 17 year old spring breakers around who obviously didn't have their ID checked :

#5 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
          • 11,659 posts
          • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:10 AM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Lauren_Hirshon
          I was wondering if anyone has been in this situation or had any suggestions about how I should handle this.... So I am getting married at the El Dorado Royale which is an adults only resort in February 2008. Everyone invited is over 18 with the exception of a close cousin who will be a couple months shy of his 18th birthday at the time of the wedding. My question (in an apparently long winded way!) is whether or not I should (1) ask the resort ahead of time if they will make an exception for my cousin (possibly even sign a waiver saying he wont drink alcohol?) (2) Pray that they dont realize he is not quite 18 or (3) Force my aunt and cousin to be the only ones in the whole wedding party to stay somewhere else

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

el dorado is pretty strict about it. they check id upon checkin in.

i have already asked for clients for a guest that was just shy of 18 and they said no one under the age of 18 and they check ID upon arrival. i asked even if they stayed off resort but came just for the reception and they said in the past they may have considered but now will not because of past complaints.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
          Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
          Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
          Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
          sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
          Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#6 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
          • 26,161 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 01:13 AM

I also say do a stealth call. Say you will be attending a wedding and want to know if you can bring your 17 year old son, or something like that. I'm not sure if they check id's. As a teenager I was served alcohol at bars in Mexico without showing id but a private resort like this may have stringent rules.

#7 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
            • VIP Member
            • 4,791 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:28 AM

Jeez, what a bummer!

~ Jaime & Martin ~
              "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

#8 CourtneyV

CourtneyV
              • 4,979 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:31 AM

Well, when I was there I had a lot of people tell me I looked 15 (!!! ) and I was never ID'd - not even at check in. But, is it worth the risk to have to turn him away once they get there??!
                Happily Married since May 9, 2008
                Proud Mama to Evelyn Eileen since June 8, 2010

#9 Kevsbeachbride

Kevsbeachbride
                • 18 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:54 AM

I was in the exact same situation. We had our wedding at EDR in February. I have a cousin that turned 18 a few days ago so he was 2 months shy. They said no one under 18 may enter the resort, not even if they stay somewhere else & come for the day. I asked others that visited before us if they checked their ids & all said no. But we didn't want to risk it. That being said, they never checked id at check-in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users