Photo

Past Ontario Brides ~ Marriage Certificate ??

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ellipse22

Ellipse22
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:14 PM

OK..I'm just curious as to how this is going to work with the Marriage Certificate from Jamaica.

Do I need to apply for a marriage certificate here using the marriage certificate from Jamaica?

Can I simply use the marriage certificate from Jamaica to change my last name?

I was looking at the ontario government website about marriages outside of ontario and I'm unclear as to how to go about this.

Any info would be appreciated!

#2 J&M

J&M
    • 173 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:38 PM

Hi

I used my Jamaica certificate for a Health card ( I had to take it with me) also used it to change my name with the bank etc. I didn't have to get one here

It took about 7 or 8 weeks for it to arrive.

#3 Ellipse22

Ellipse22
      • 584 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:04 PM

Thanks!

That's what I was thinking but wanted to clarify because after reading the info on the gov. website I got all confused...see this is what happens when you have a bit of time to read crap on the internet lol

#4 bellemiche

bellemiche
        • 32 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:09 PM

I was able to use the temporary marriage certificate that they gave us while we were there to change my license, my health card, and at the bank.

#5 Ellipse22

Ellipse22
          • 584 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:05 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by bellemiche
            I was able to use the temporary marriage certificate that they gave us while we were there to change my license, my health card, and at the bank.
            I thought of that too...that's the Marriage Register paper that they gave us...oh well it's been a month and I'm sure it will be here within the next month so I can wait

#6 christenew

christenew
            • 325 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:47 PM

Question- I read the post that states you can unofficially change your name. So I understand that you change everything except your birth certificate. My question is doesn't your birthcertificate have to match your passport?

#7 Ellipse22

Ellipse22
              • 584 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:49 AM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by christenew
                Question- I read the post that states you can unofficially change your name. So I understand that you change everything except your birth certificate. My question is doesn't your birthcertificate have to match your passport?

That's a good question! I'll have to ask my SIL - I remember her mentioning that her passport was in her maiden name but she goes by her husband's name..hmm...

Thanks Christene!! Something else to stress over LOL

#8 sunstarsmoon

sunstarsmoon
                • 2,233 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:53 AM

Once you are married you have to change your passport to your married name. It does not have to match your birth certicate, if you are married. Just bring in your marriage license to the passport office. I know a few years back my friend got married and it cost only a few dollars and they just put a sticker with her new name on it. It might be a little different now, that they have made it easier to get a passport.
                  July 8, 2011, Couples Sans Souci Ocho Rios, Jamaica

#9 chicklet

chicklet
                  • 718 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:52 AM

Has anyone that was married in January 2009 received their marriage certificate yet?? I have the paper piece that they give you at the ceremony but I have found it doesn't work to change much.

#10 MissyR

MissyR
                    • 1,210 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:35 AM

I am not a Jamaica bride.. but am going to chime in anyway. You can legally change your name (which includes everything and your birth certificate) or assume your husband's name (everything but your bc). That's what I did and it's pretty easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users