where to get hitched in FL??

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 EngagedToBeMrsB

• 23 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:11 PM

Hi all! After months of pondering, my FI and I have decided to have a private wedding (only the two of us) on a beach in Florida and then stay at a reasonably-priced (thinking 200 or less a night) for the honeymoon at the same location. We dont want to do it all in the FL keys but cant seem to pick a location bc there are just so many beaches!!!! Ideally, we are looking for a beach that is within walking distance of our hotel, not too overcrowded, and offers a lot of area for swimming with possibly a "swimming with the dolphins" experience." We really just want to hang out together at the beach all day and it would be nice if the hotel/resort offered a pool or two as well. I was hoping you all would have some suggestions and any would be sooo appreciated! Thanks everyone!

#2 EngagedToBeMrsB

• 23 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:13 PM

I should prolly mention that wedding/honeymoon would be set for the second of third week of June 2009!

#3 lil_miss_frogg

• 826 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:44 PM

Have you thought about Destin, FL. It isn't very croweded and it's beautiful
        My Babies
        "Love isn't about finding a perfect person,
        it's seeing an imperfect person perfectly!"

#4 ~Melissa~

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 8,680 posts
        • Wedding Date:October 7, 2010
        • Wedding Location:Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
        • LocationUtah

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:14 PM

I live by the Destin beaches and to put it simply it's a piece of paradise. The sand is almost as white as snow!!! I don't know of any "swim with the dolphins" businesses but I do know I've seen dolphins on several occasions jumping out of the water along Okaloosa beach. It's quite the sight!

As for hotels along the beach there are plenty off the top of my head there is a Sheraton and a Hilton. You may want to check out Pensacola beach too. I've stayed at the Hampton (got engaged there during sunset) and it was super clean and very nice.

#5 FLgator

• 253 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:52 PM

I live in the Tampa area, but I wouldn't recommend our beaches (St. Petersburg, Clearwater, etc.), b/c they will be way too crowded. We don't have any "swim with the dolphins" places, just boats that will take you out to see them, although they can't get too close b/c there is a law against "harrassment."

Have you checked out the Sanibel area? Good luck!

#6 IslamoradaBride

• 459 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:52 PM

Well, my suggestion would be for the Keys but you've already vetoed that . Islamorada has a place called Theater of the Sea that has swimming with dolphins. Also there are a lot of resorts and beachy places in the area. Let me know if you need more information cuz I am packed with details!

#7 EngagedToBeMrsB

• 23 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I checked out those areas last night (for way too many hours!) and am really hooked on Sanibel. It looks amazing there and seems like it just couldnt match our personalities any better. I posted again today to see what other insights I can get on the Sanibel area.

#8 sharibare

• 33 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:31 PM

I'll second Sanibel. It has such a world-away feel, you feel like you are in another country. There are lots of great hotels, and that time of year I think you should be able to find $200 a night rates.

South Seas is my favorite venue on Captiva, which is right next to Sanibel (it's often called Sanibel/Captiva), but I think it may be more than $200.

I don't think there are any organized swim with the dolphin trips here but you're sure to see them almost every day at sunset. One swam up right behind my fiance a few months ago.
                Insider Bride
                Tips & tales from a wedding photographer planning my own destination wedding!

#9 NSB Wedding

NSB Wedding
                • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:51 PM

I'm having my wedding just South of Daytona in a place called New Smyrna Beach. There are so many beach areas that have beach and sand dunes instead of beach and high rises. It's one hour from Orlando where there is a dolphin swim at SeaWorld.

#10 Fleur Jolie

Fleur Jolie
                  • 47 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

Here in Key West we have several beaches that cater to weddings; Smathers beach is free and Fort Zack has reasonable sight fees. Several hotels have private beaches such as Pier House, Casa Marina, and Sunset Key.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users