Questions re: Purchasing OOT items and favors in Cancun

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Myen

Myen
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:40 PM

Hi Ladies,

I was just wondering if anyone had ever visited the Walmart or Costco in Cancun? I'm toying with the idea of purchasing our favors, decorations, OOT items, etc. at these larger retail chains instead of hauling huge amounts of stuff in my suitcase.

Does anyone know of any posters here that have gone this route? Do you think that this would be good idea?

Also, for anyone that has recently been to Cancun and visited these stores, would the selection be comparable to the items we could find at our local Walmart / Costco?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks is advance!

#2 kristin928

kristin928
    • 78 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:30 PM

I went to the Wal-Mart in Cancun but it is rather far off the strip. If you are getting married at Moon Palace that seems like a far taxi cab ride to the store. When I went there it felt like it had a lot of the same stuff as back at home. There was also more souvenir type stuff when I was there (but that was 5 years ago)! Sorry I can't give you more advice but that's what I know of. I went to the flea market in the hotel strip back in May and they had trinkety stuff - like shot glasses but they all seemed overpriced. I guess the Peso is catching up with the Dollar in value!
      Good luck!

#3 Opice34

Opice34
      • 414 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:15 PM

I checked out the Costco in Cancun when we were there for our site visit for this very reason. Yup, it's just like a normal Costco! You could everything you need there! I'm planning on getting all of the snacks there....

#4 ErikDaGenErik

ErikDaGenErik
        • 315 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:43 AM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by kristin928
          I went to the Wal-Mart in Cancun but it is rather far off the strip. If you are getting married at Moon Palace that seems like a far taxi cab ride to the store. When I went there it felt like it had a lot of the same stuff as back at home. There was also more souvenir type stuff when I was there (but that was 5 years ago)! Sorry I can't give you more advice but that's what I know of. I went to the flea market in the hotel strip back in May and they had trinkety stuff - like shot glasses but they all seemed overpriced. I guess the Peso is catching up with the Dollar in value!
          Good luck!
          great question, myen!

how far exactly is it from Moon Palace? How much was the cab drive?

#5 kristin928

kristin928
          • 78 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 12:54 PM

I am not sure how much the cab fare would be from Moon Palace because I stayed on the hotel strip and took the public bus! THAT was an experience! I think it was about a 30 minute journey but you would go a different way from Moon Palace. Wish I could be more help!

#6 ErikDaGenErik

ErikDaGenErik
            • 315 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 06:29 AM

thank you!!! =)

#7 Myen

Myen
              • 102 posts

Posted 09 November 2008 - 04:21 PM

Thanks Ladies!! I'm not so much concerned about the distance from the resort, if it saves me the trouble of having to carry stuff down.

Did they happen to sell fresh flowers at the Costco? I would love to be able to buy a whole bunch of roses and use the petals for our flowergirl to toss down the aisle. Our resort doesn't allow silk rose petals.

#8 kristin928

kristin928
                • 78 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:11 PM

Moon Palace doesn't allow silk rose petals? Did you get a price for fresh petals? I am getting married at a Palace Resort and haven't gotten that far in my planning process. I would like to know where to get rose petals too!! Thanks!

#9 annieanddaryl

annieanddaryl
                  • 104 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:42 AM

Hello - is there a a Costco in the Mayan Riviera?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users