Photo

1st Fitting...Estimate...$625 - $775!!!! Yikes!

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#21 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
  • 11,659 posts
  • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:17 PM

jessalyn,

that sound pretty expensive...i bought my dress and got it altered at saks and it was about $500...i had it taken in, shortened and a bra sewn it.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#22 Jessalyn

Jessalyn
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:53 PM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NHPT
    jessalyn- how much do you have to have done? i am asking because our weddings are close together and i wasnt planning on getting alterations until next month.......what do you think? i just need it taken in and bra sewn in
    Not too much. The sides from the bust through the hips needs to be taken in 3/8" tapered down to 1" in the hips and then a bustle and a hem (only about 1/4 inch shorter).

I think I'm early on trying to get the alterations done. But, I figure it will be one less thing to worry about later. Now, I'm glad I've started early because I want to shop around for alteration prices.

Tammy ~ $500 even seems high to me. I'm hoping for $300ish.
    My new man....Donovan

Wedding photos and avatar by Jonathan Thrasher Photography - www.jthrasherphoto.com
    Our wedding slide show www.jthrasherphoto.com/slideshows/jessalynhttp://tickers.Ticke....k/27c1/age.png

#23 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
    • 26,161 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:53 AM

Ouch! That is quite a lot I think, my bridal shop does free alterations thank goodness, is there a fashion district where you live? I know in downtown L.A. there are tons of seamstress shops that are inexpensive. A coworker paid $150 to have a bra sown in a straps adjusted on her gown. Keep checking, there must be something less expensive than that!

#24 jpkw

jpkw
      • VIP Member
      • 1,650 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:13 AM

Oh no, I am so sorry... As everyone else said - the price you were quoted is ridiculous!! Definitely get a few more opinions! I'll ask my sister if she knows anyone good in SD & PM you.

My dress should be in in a few weeks and I am terrified to find out how much my alterations will be!

#25 TammyB

TammyB
        • 10,630 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:40 AM

Sorry for hijack...

Hey Tammy, did you buy a bra to be sewn in your dress? If so where and what kind? How did they do it?

#26 *JillD*

*JillD*
          • 5,112 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:43 AM

usually you can just get cups sewn in

#27 TammyB

TammyB
            • 10,630 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 09:51 AM

but what about support? I'm having someone look at my dress to possibly do the alterations but she said she would need me to get a strapless, seamless bra. If it doesn't work out then I will have the salon do it.

#28 Rachelle E.

Rachelle E.
              • VIP Member
              • 4,116 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:12 AM

I had cups sewn into mine, the straps taken up and the sides taken in at the top of the bodice (just under the armpit area to the waist) and a french bustle (albeit a simple one) and my cost was just over $250. Not having to hem saved me a lot of $$.

Also, If you're concerned about the top/cups etc....unless you're super well endowed, I think you can totally do that and it's not very expensive at all! In fact it's probably the least expensive item you'll have done. I was so glad I did...I'm a 34C and wasn't worried about support or anything at all...they make the dress to fit you like a glove so everything pretty much stays where you put it! lol!

#29 Rachelle E.

Rachelle E.
                • VIP Member
                • 4,116 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:15 AM

Just re-read your post Tammy....I'll have to look at your dress again. I'm sure the sewn-in cup solution might not work for some styles. My dress was fairly structured and had spaghetti straps so the top almost fit like a bra anyway... :-)

#30 Sarah

Sarah

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 6,996 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 10:24 AM

omg Jessalyn I think that's the craziest thing I've ever heard! I'm glad that you've discovered this place is expensive and that hopefully you can get your dress done somewhere else for cheaper. I haven't started getting mine altered yet- probably something I should think about since the wedding is only a little over a month away...yikes- now i'm scared!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users