Photo

I chipped my diamond

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 DB2B

DB2B
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:51 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that! I hope your insurance covers it. Now i think I shoudl be more careful of flinging my hands about. I hope it works out - keep us posted!

#12 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 18,759 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 05:53 PM

here is some good info. a diamond is hard (scratch resistant), but being chip resistant is referred to as toughness.

Can Diamonds Chip? Can Diamonds Break? Can you Chip a Diamond? Can Diamonds really Chip or Break? What can you do about a Chipped Diamond? - Jewelry-Secrets.com

Diamond toughness

#13 Angel

Angel
      • 2,635 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:02 PM

Man that sucks. Sorry that happened to you.
        Yeah, I didn't think it was possible either.
        I hope your insurance covers it.

#14 Oscar_Ernie

Oscar_Ernie
        • 266 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 06:07 PM

What a bummer! I'm so sorry!!! I'm sure you must feel devasted.

(I just checked out your website and I love it! It looks SO good and it's so informative. It may be the best I've seen yet!!! Great job!)

#15 S2BLennon

S2BLennon
          • 668 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:19 PM

O NO! Let us know what happens... How the heck did you do that? I hope it was a good story at least..

#16 Jen_S

Jen_S
            • 3,737 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:54 AM

I did not think this could happen either. I do not remember what I did I wear it 24/7 but I did hit it hard last week cleaning and I remeber checking but did not find it, only found it bc I ran my fingers around the edge the other night.

I talked to my fi and my uncle and they do not suggest I put it under the insurance since we only had the policy for 6 months and its not huge (well not to them). We pick up our wedding bands in a week and my FI thinks the band cover it so I wont notice it, you cant really see it the ring is a basket setting so it is on the on the edge. They think if I put it through insurance they may not cover if something else happens to it. So for the time I am going to wait talk the jeweler next week and see what he says. I am now thinking if we get it fixed I will change the setting from a 4 prong basket setting to a 6, so there is less for me to bang.

Oscar Earnie - thanks I had fun putting it together.

Our Honeymoon In Ireland!!

#17 teacherbride

teacherbride
              • 354 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:06 AM

Good luck at your jeweler, I'm sure with a band and if you decide to change the setting it will still look great! Yesterday I just saw the title of this thread and last night I dreamed that I broke off the whole top layer of my diamond. I think I was feeling your pain cause I woke up feeling sick about it.

Best of luck, keep up posted :)

#18 kevsgirl

kevsgirl
                • 1,209 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 01:02 PM

Oh no!

I think it's easy to just forget how rings can be more fragile than we think.

I was engaged before and had a 3-stone ring in white gold. The centre diamond was larger and a replacement (it was an heirloom ring), well, only a week or so after I got it, I broke off 2 of the prongs! It totall freaked me out. Turns out that if you re-set something and they add to the prong's length, it is weaker.
                  So be careful not to catch it on anything. I think it was a sweater for me that did it, but again prongs are usually pretty solid when they're made for the diamond.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users