How is your dress bustled?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tvt

• VIP Member
  • 4,812 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:31 PM

EDIT: Can a MOD change my horrible spelling of bustle in the thread title?

I'm unsure how to butsle my dress. At my alterations appointment they did a 3 button butsle... and i really wish i would have taken a picture!!! especially because now i'm second guessing it.

how did you bustle your dress? want to share pictures?

#2 Angel

• 2,635 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 10:45 PM

Now that you mention it, I don't think mine does, or at least I haven't seen where it can. I'm taking mine in on saturday so maybe she'll show me. I'll post pictures if she shows me how.

#3 1elephant

• VIP Member
      • 15,998 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 04:39 AM

tara, mine was a reg. 3 button bustle. the seamstress showed me other ways, but this looked the best. i don't think i have pics tho...

#4 becks

• VIP Member
        • 4,881 posts
        • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
        • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
        • LocationNew York

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:10 AM

Mine gave me several options:

A french bustle where the fabric is buttoned up underneath, creating a drapey, pillowy look. It's a gorgeous look, but, with my slim-profile dress it made my butt look enormous, so that was out.

The three button, where the fabric is just lifted straight up and buttoned once at your tailbone, and once each just below each butt-cheek. Very pretty as well, but it was too much for my little dress.

In the end I went with a single point bustle. I just had one button that sat right at my tailbone. I thought it worked great with my dress. Only thing was that they had to take some fabric out of the side hem of the dress to get it short enough that the sides didn't drag on the ground when it was bustled (a three-button would have taken care of this without the scissors). It didn't shorten the dress, but rather than having a big circle of fabric for my train, it was more of an oval.

I'll see if I can find a photo or two.

Okay, I don't have a good one with my train down, but here are a couple of shots of it bustled:

(sorry, this one is dark, but maybe you can see)
        Click the image to open in full size.

from the side:
        Click the image to open in full size.

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#5 2bebridejamaica

• 1,206 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:11 AM

Tara I am picking up my dress tonight from all my alterations.. Let's hope nothing else needs to be tweaked.. but I have my camera already so I will take a pic for you tonight... I don't actually remember what I decided on... LOL

#6 ~Jamie~

• 39 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:24 AM

I went for the french bustle. I'll post pics once I get my dress back next week. There was just so much detail on the back of my dress that I didn't want to lose, and this worked best. It will have color coated strings in several places to tie. ( I have a big dress, though!)
            MaggieSottero.com - Maggie Sottero Collection
            It is called "Sheena"

#7 2bebridejamaica

• 1,206 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 07:54 AM

Well I went lastnight formy fitting... my dress isn't done BUT I did get to see the bustle they did ... YUCK.. They needed to change it. It was a 3 button .. But they put the buttons in a straight line below my butt and it looked horrible.. I had shelf arrsss with some of my fabric bunched above the line. Thank goodness my girls were with me, I was at a total loss. Well lets hope it's fixed. They ended up moving the main center point up 4 inches (yes that is how low they put it before) and then angled the outside 2.

Sorry Tara for no pics.. my damn camera battery was dead.. should have checked it before I left.

#8 tvt

• VIP Member
              • 4,812 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 12:14 PM

oh no amanda that sucks! why would they put them right at your butt?

i go back in two weeks so we'll see how my three buttons turn out!

#9 foxytv

• VIP Member
                • 7,740 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:28 PM

Megan, your dress is beautiful.

I had an unconventional bustle so that you could still see the design on my dress ... but I don't know how to explain it or what its called. I will try to find some of my pics that show it. I know I posted them ages ago...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users