First day of the semester...

JoLo908

Today was the first day of the semester for what should be my senior year of my undergrad. I am an English Lit. major and was PILED with a tons of books and work for the semester and I freaked...

I was thinking about going to grad school after I finish my degree for teaching, but now I am not so sure... I am tired of being in school and kind of want to find my "path" or "way" in the work world... I just feel so unsure about everything! How am I supposed to know what I want to do? Does anyone have any advice or nice words? I had such a stressful day...... not to mention I stepped on a bee and it stung the crap out of my foot...

I am a singer and that is my passion, but I know I need to pay the bills...

I have been back and forth and torn between everything... any advice or kind words will be welcome....

Thanks so much!

I feel you! I just finished my BA this summer. I originally planned on starting grad school, but after working my ass off for 4 years, I just want to relax! If grad school is something you want to do, I think you will find your way back to it eventually. It's never too late to advance your education. My FI was accepted into Boston University's masters program but was not sure if that was what he wanted to do. I just think that one year or how ever long you decide to take off is going to be insignificant in the grand scheme of your life. The worst thing you could do is start something you are unsure of imho.

Joanna, congratulations on being a senior and almost finished with your degree! It might help to think of your life as a path with stepping stones and to realize that you can graduate and get a job wherever the door opens up, but that's not where you will necessarily be the rest of your life. Take a English lit job and look around for opportunities to sing. You never know what might open up for you. I think I read somewhere that most people have 4 different careers in their lifetime. So just focus on doing your best week by week, graduating and get a job. That will give you a starting point and you can go from there towards whatever presents itself. I will mention, I pray daily and ask God to lead me and open doors for me. He is doing that now for me and it's an exciting time in my life.

But anyway, don't worry about where you are going to be 5 years from now. Just do what you have to do today.

I go to NJCU... Thank you so much for the encouraging words... I slowed down today and took a deep breath, and realized I will be alright no matter what happens. I just have to take everything one day, and one class at a time... it is so easy to get caught up in the stress, it is ridiculous!!!

That's really tough. I've been in school for almost 7 years now - this month makes it the 7th. I've gone straight from BA to MA. The end is in sight, and I too had aspirations to pursue a PhD, but I am so tired and burnt out. I wish that I had taken a gap year between my BA and MA. I've been talking to a lot of grad students and we all feel the same. We're all tired, and right now none of us feels like pursuing the 3rd degree...this may change after we take a break.

That being said...focus on now. Focus on what you want and need to accomplish now. You've almost crossed the finish line and you should be very proud of your accomplishments thus far. It's okay to take a break after the BA. Work a daytime job and sing on the side. You can do both! I think what you're studying sounds great...and if you want to pursue the MA go for it! You can take it as slow as you want doing it course by course part-time...and slowly build your up. Give yourself some credit. Almost there! cheesy.gif Good job!

Take a breather and think about it in your spare time while you are in school. I initially began my college life with a full scholarship to a highly ranked engineering program only to realize less than a year later that I did not wish to pursue engineering as a career. Long story short I am back in school 16 years later with a completely different major. A large part of me wishes I had not taken the time off "to find myself", but now that I am back in school I can see that I am taking it more seriously. I no longer have the scholarship and I find that I am the oldest in my class. I also find that it is so true when they say.."what will I ever use this for?" I have been out of touch with mathematics for so long that I forgot the rules of adding and subtracting positive and negative numbers. I don't know if I am offering any helpful insights into your situation, but when I read your post I thought about what it would have been like for me to remain in school instead of trying to find myself.

Joanna,

I think you should go with your gut instinct no matter what. If you are feeling a little burnt out on school then maybe you should take a couple years and work until you really want grad school. I am in my 2nd year grad right now after being our of school for almost ten years. I am thinking of continuing onto a phd but this would not have happened straight out of undergrad. I needed time to have life experience and my first career which led me to where I am now.

You and your future hubby need to decided what will work best in your marriage but maybe you could pursue your career and live in the work force for a bit before heading back for the grad degree?

I don't regret anything. I feel totally fine about having gone back to grad school at 30. I am really enjoying it even though it took a minute to get back into my "school head".

good luck!

Thanks so much for all of the support. I have a few options that I have been thinking about, and I know, no matter what, it will all work out. I went to talk to an advisor about pursuing the alternate route in Education. It is program in NJ that you can do where you teach for two years, regular teacher with regular salary, under a mentor. After the two years you are certified, and if you wish, you can complete the remainder of the grad courses to get your degree. But whatever I do will be the right decision... and I will be okay with it. Thanks again so much for all of the support.