Jump to content

Photo

Grand Sunset Princess Resort


  • Please log in to reply
1772 replies to this topic

#671 gujarwala

gujarwala
  • Newbie
  • 82 posts

    Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:42 PM

    I just got an email from the old the coordinators at GSP, looks like they are now with BlueBay Grand Esmeralda, the email was a general message that if, due to the unfortunate events at the Princess, anyone would like to switch that they have capacity at BlueBay. 

     

    Misshh sounds like your agent doesn't want to go through the effort to try to switch you, although I do believe it is pretty difficult.  I called our vacation provider and they refer all requests to switch out of GSP to a separate line which seems to ALWAYS give a busy tone.

     

    I think mine is too close and group too large to switch, so I'm hoping all goes well and I have a good feeling it will.  Will post a review here for sure.



    #672 Tamara2

    Tamara2
    • Newbie
    • 11 posts

      Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:27 PM

       

      I was contacted by my travel agent today, she said that they are waiting for the full report on the explosion before they get too concern with moving us to another resort. But said she understands if we want to move to another resort, she will do what ever it takes to do so....We are getting married on March 3rd,11. and 90% of our guests are staying in the Platinum Suites, where the explosion took place. I know that area of the resort will still be roped off buy the time we get there. 

       

      I stayed at this resort when it first opened, and yes you could smell the swamp then too. 



      #673 samcalv1

      samcalv1
      • Jr. Member
      • 300 posts

        Posted 23 November 2010 - 03:56 AM



        Originally Posted by ChristaMichelle 

        I would love to hear from anyone who has stayed at / had their wedding at GSP since the explosion. My wedding isn't until October next year and I don't know whether or not I should be concerned at this point. Still debating about changing venues. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.



        Hi My wedding is also in October 2011 and I am with you as I don't know what to do whether I should be looking at changing resort just yet???? I was going to wait until after Christmas and make a decision then.... it all depends on what they confirm the cause of the explosion was.... 



        #674 budgetingbride

        budgetingbride
        • Newbie
        • 20 posts

          Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:21 AM

          Hello,

           

          My wedding was scheduled for May 7, 2011 at the GRP resort. I got an email from my wedding coordinator yesterday she stated that she received notification from GRP that the resort is now closed and they do not have a set date as to when they will be reopening. We were contemplating on staying even after the explosion but now i guess we don't have a choice we have to find somewhere else. This is a complete nightmare knowing that now i only have about 6 months to put everything into prospect. Good Luck to all the future brides, i know im gonna need it. One good thing is DJ Mannia did say due to the circumstances they would refund us 100% of the full deposit. Now its just a headache of finding another location, that offers private beach receptions and can have 40-45 guest, then looking for a new photographer, dj, etc. I just want to scream but i guess maybe this happened for a reason and it just wasn't meant for my family and i to go to Mexico. Since having to switch resorts of course everybody in my wedding party really doesn't even wanna consider Mexico now. So i'll be searching elsewhere.



          #675 lynfar

          lynfar
          • Newbie
          • 38 posts

            Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:07 AM

            My wedding date is Jan11th, 2011... My agent was resistant at first to help us switch hotels, but after a few phone calls and a letter I wrote personally to Sunwing… She was willing to help us change hotels.

            We are now going to Punta Cana - the Bahia Principe. I won't lie... it was stressful, but my group of 18 is now switched without a penalty (my FI and I made several calls to the resort, travel agent and Sunwing) I believe Sunwing waived the change penalty because we are remaining with a Sunwing property.

            I was able to change with less than 2 months before my wedding date… there’s no harm in trying!



            #676 gujarwala

            gujarwala
            • Newbie
            • 82 posts

              Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:24 AM



              Quote:
              Originally Posted by budgetingbride 

              Hello,

               

              My wedding was scheduled for May 7, 2011 at the GRP resort. I got an email from my wedding coordinator yesterday she stated that she received notification from GRP that the resort is now closed and they do not have a set date as to when they will be reopening. We were contemplating on staying even after the explosion but now i guess we don't have a choice we have to find somewhere else. This is a complete nightmare knowing that now i only have about 6 months to put everything into prospect. Good Luck to all the future brides, i know im gonna need it. One good thing is DJ Mannia did say due to the circumstances they would refund us 100% of the full deposit. Now its just a headache of finding another location, that offers private beach receptions and can have 40-45 guest, then looking for a new photographer, dj, etc. I just want to scream but i guess maybe this happened for a reason and it just wasn't meant for my family and i to go to Mexico. Since having to switch resorts of course everybody in my wedding party really doesn't even wanna consider Mexico now. So i'll be searching elsewhere.



               



              #677 gujarwala

              gujarwala
              • Newbie
              • 82 posts

                Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:28 AM

                Not sure what happened above, I meant to quote budgetingbride and typed a response but for some reason its not showing up so I'm going to try again here.

                 

                Budgetingbride, can you let me know which coordinator told you that your May/2011 wedding would be cancelled due to resort closure?

                 

                I just talked to Alexandra minutes ago (I think the only coordinators are her and Mara?) and she insisted that no weddings are being cancelled.  She also claimed that not even all of the GRP side is closed (just a portion although she did not say how big the portion is, I asked if its about half and she said, "Yeah about that.").  She also says none of the GSP side is closed, and that all restaurants and bars remain open. 

                 

                My agreement is supposed to come very soon and I'll need to make a payment of about $5,300 and I'm slightly worried in that I dont want to make this payment if my wedding will be cancelled or if they are not giving me accurate information.  I don't think a resort would do that but I guess you never know.



                #678 lynfar

                lynfar
                • Newbie
                • 38 posts

                  Posted 23 November 2010 - 10:58 AM

                  http://www.cbc.ca/co...ico-travel.html



                  #679 lynfar

                  lynfar
                  • Newbie
                  • 38 posts

                    Posted 23 November 2010 - 11:02 AM

                    Below is an article from CBC - Dated Nov 22nd 2010

                     



                    #680 gujarwala

                    gujarwala
                    • Newbie
                    • 82 posts

                      Posted 23 November 2010 - 12:14 PM

                      Someone left a comment yesterday on this article http://www.cbc.ca/wo...on-closure.html saying that they are currently at the resort and that "only" 30% of people from the Riviera side have been moved over to the Sunset side as a precaution and otherwise the resort is fully operating.






                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users