Jump to content
Bianca

Dreams Puerto Aventuras Brides - POST HERE!

Recommended Posts

Originally Posted by sherryro13 View Post

 

Thanks for all the great pointers!

What was the cost to extend the time in the restaurant for 1hr?

Also did you go with a dj or just bring your own ipod dock?  I am torn on what to do.

 

I have been searching for the Bubba Kegs but they are all quite expensive when I have to buy 34-40.

Great Idea with the chips and cookies, I was going to make a Costco run before leaving and bring down some goodies.

 

It was $18 per person to extend for the first hour, you could do a second hour for $15 per person.

We had our ipad. We organized everything into playlists so it would be easy to jump to different songs for the first dance, cake cutting, etc. Ipads don't have the ability to crossfade songs, which kind of sucked, so if you want to do that, I would bring your laptop or a device that can do this. Everyone was dancing without a dj, I suppose it depends on your crowd. I found the oldies were the biggest hits, something everyone can appreciate. The thing that is nice about doing the music yourself is you can choose exactly what songs you play.

 

The Bubba Kegs are definitely cheaper from shopbubba.com than if you bought them in the stores. The resort has nice large glasses though, so mugs aren't a must if you want to save costs.

 

If you can do it, I would recommend trying to buy snacks when you are down there. I would be concerned that they would get crushed on the way. And everyone liked all the funny names that they had for the snacks. It was really cheap, you could take a quick cab ride to the Chedraui and get a big flat of chips and large packs of cookies and candy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i just returned from the resort for our wedding.  man o man was it sooo much fun.   overall it was 100% a wonderful success and so much fun, but i'm going to share the things that i wish i had learned before i went, so this post may sound negative, but i'm not trying to be negative . it was 98% wonderful and only 2% negative. promise. 

 

jacki was amazing and took care of everything.  she would just say "dont' worry about it, i got it"  and she did.  the reception was at el patio which was the perfect space. i'm so glad we decided to do that versus the beach. the beach weddings were just too bright with all the lighting they used. and everyone at the resort was watching the entire time. el patio was way more private.  we saw a wedding not quite on the beach, but on the bonfire location and that looked alot better than the beach location. 

 

i had my hair and makeup done at the spa and pedicure.  the spa is beautiful but it was the most expensive pedicure that i've ever had and it wasn't that impressive. i would suggest just getting them done before you go. the makeup looked good and the hair looked pretty good but they used tons of hairsparay that kept my hair in place in case it was windy and now when i look at the pictures i just feel like my hair looks glued in place. i wish i would have asked them to just let it blow in the wind a bit.  i think that would have looked more natural.  

 

some other unfortunate things is that a large group of us got "mexico belly" if you know what i mean.  luckily we had three doctors in the group who had brought stuff to deal with it kind of.  but it still put all that got it out for about 24 hours. i would definitely suggest going to teh dr and getting some medicine from your doctor in case you need something for vomitting or diarrehea once you get there.  also, we had one person have their wallet stolen from the room.  he had not put it in the safe.  noone that used the safe had any complaints.  my sunglasses disappeared from our room (again not in the safe) and we heard a story of a guy walking in on the maid going through his back pack.  

 

the food was very very good at portofino(italian) and el patio(mexican). i got the lobster 2 nights because it was so amazing. teh lobster costs extra but to me was worth it. 

 

the rooms were awesome. there are different size rooms in the same price bracket. the first night the room we got was smaller than my mom's room, so we asked for the larger room and they moved us the next day.  the 7th floor is the preferred club level and that was awesome. we are so glad we got that.  they had top shelf liquor and snacks all the time. a lso they had breakfast up there so we didn't have to go down to the loud busy buffet in the morning and could just have a quiet breakfast up with our family in the morning. often i would order room service and then take it out to the 7th floor lounge to have with my family.  the room service food was much better than i've had at other resorts.  especially the chicken fingers.  super yummy. 

 

okay now i just really want to go back so i'm going to stop writing, but please ask if you have any questions. 

 

chelsey

 

 

 

post-58380-138622496598_thumb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the feedback. My wedding is September 1, 2013 and we are planning on using El Patio.  The place looks amazing!! Thank you for suggesting to use the place longer, I had not thought of that.  Do you have any pictures? 

 

Toni

Originally Posted by Lovesnick View Post


I am happy to help! We booked El Patio way in advance, mostly because we wanted it so much. There was another wedding on our wedding day, so it could have been possible they booked the restaurant before us, and we didn't want to take that chance. There are only 2 weddings a day, at 3pm and at 5pm. It seems like a lot of people choose a wedding on the beach.

 

We had a buffet, the Mexican one. It was absolutely spectacular. There were a lot of choices for people, and I knew everyone would find something they liked. We also took out the chicken mole and added the coconut fish from the Carribbean buffet menu, it was pretty much the star of the dinner. I had read a lot of other people said sit down dinner takes awhile, and buffet was pretty quick.

 

I brought down photo frames (large ones, 8x 10) that had the table numbers and photos of my husband and I from each year corresponding to the table number. I brought down tealights and glass candle holders from Ikea as well. Pretty much it, with the exception of the cake topper, guest book. The candles near the front of the restaurant (where the windows are near the ocean) blew out, but the others stayed lit. Honestly though, the ambiance in the restaurant was so nice, I don't think candles would be necessary at all. Jacki took the flowers from the gazebo and split them to the cake table, guest book table, and head table. So we bought little centerpieces for each table, a tall round vase with water and a lily in it. $30 each, kind of steep. They charge so much for everything, if you have something in mind you would really like, I would bring it. I honestly don't think you need much in that restaurant at all, something personal for you and your fiance maybe. The place sells itself.

 

If I could give one piece of advice, pay the extra money to have an extra two hours in the restaurant. We paid for one extra hour and wished we had way more. It seemed like less when we were dancing around and drinking, but I would highly recommend paying for longer, even if you have to cut from somewhere else. We went to the sports club after which was fun, but everyone really enjoyed dancing in the restaurant and having it to ourselves. It is not cheap to do this, but without a doubt the one thing I wish I did. It was an incredible night though, whatever you do will turn out great!

 

I saw you are doing welcome bags, we did too. The towels aren't necessary, they have big beautiful ones that you can take as you please, and leave on your chair when you are done. We got Bubba kegs shipped to the resort, which was great. The glasses they give at the resort are large nice plastic glasses so travel mugs aren't a necessity, but if you want to go that way, Bubba kegs were great. We also added hand sanitizer, spf lip balm. Also, when we got there, we went to the grocery store (Chedraui, quite near the entrance to Puerto Aventuras) and bought big boxes of small bags of chips and cookies. People loved to have those snacks when they arrived, esp since the chips from the gift shop were $10 for a small bag!!!

 

Let me know if you have any more questions, I am happy to help, You will have a great time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by ChelseyB View Post

 

i just returned from the resort for our wedding.  man o man was it sooo much fun.   overall it was 100% a wonderful success and so much fun, but i'm going to share the things that i wish i had learned before i went, so this post may sound negative, but i'm not trying to be negative . it was 98% wonderful and only 2% negative. promise. 

 

jacki was amazing and took care of everything.  she would just say "dont' worry about it, i got it"  and she did.  the reception was at el patio which was the perfect space. i'm so glad we decided to do that versus the beach. the beach weddings were just too bright with all the lighting they used. and everyone at the resort was watching the entire time. el patio was way more private.  we saw a wedding not quite on the beach, but on the bonfire location and that looked alot better than the beach location. 

 

i had my hair and makeup done at the spa and pedicure.  the spa is beautiful but it was the most expensive pedicure that i've ever had and it wasn't that impressive. i would suggest just getting them done before you go. the makeup looked good and the hair looked pretty good but they used tons of hairsparay that kept my hair in place in case it was windy and now when i look at the pictures i just feel like my hair looks glued in place. i wish i would have asked them to just let it blow in the wind a bit.  i think that would have looked more natural.  

 

some other unfortunate things is that a large group of us got "mexico belly" if you know what i mean.  luckily we had three doctors in the group who had brought stuff to deal with it kind of.  but it still put all that got it out for about 24 hours. i would definitely suggest going to teh dr and getting some medicine from your doctor in case you need something for vomitting or diarrehea once you get there.  also, we had one person have their wallet stolen from the room.  he had not put it in the safe.  noone that used the safe had any complaints.  my sunglasses disappeared from our room (again not in the safe) and we heard a story of a guy walking in on the maid going through his back pack.  

 

the food was very very good at portofino(italian) and el patio(mexican). i got the lobster 2 nights because it was so amazing. teh lobster costs extra but to me was worth it. 

 

the rooms were awesome. there are different size rooms in the same price bracket. the first night the room we got was smaller than my mom's room, so we asked for the larger room and they moved us the next day.  the 7th floor is the preferred club level and that was awesome. we are so glad we got that.  they had top shelf liquor and snacks all the time. a lso they had breakfast up there so we didn't have to go down to the loud busy buffet in the morning and could just have a quiet breakfast up with our family in the morning. often i would order room service and then take it out to the 7th floor lounge to have with my family.  the room service food was much better than i've had at other resorts.  especially the chicken fingers.  super yummy. 

 

okay now i just really want to go back so i'm going to stop writing, but please ask if you have any questions. 

 

chelsey

 

 

 

 

Hi ChelseaB,

Congrats!  How was the bonfire?  was it worth the cost?

I am thinking of skipping the cocktail hour but am not sure what the guests will do while we are off getting pictures.  Can you please give feedback on the menu items you chose and if you substituted anything in or out of the wedding package?  I am thinking of removing the massages and the mexican trio to get a credit to apply towards other items.

What did you use for favors and did you bring your own chair sashes?

post-70939-138622496916_thumb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by sherryro13 View Post

 

 

Hi ChelseaB,

Congrats!  How was the bonfire?  was it worth the cost?

I am thinking of skipping the cocktail hour but am not sure what the guests will do while we are off getting pictures.  Can you please give feedback on the menu items you chose and if you substituted anything in or out of the wedding package?  I am thinking of removing the massages and the mexican trio to get a credit to apply towards other items.

What did you use for favors and did you bring your own chair sashes?

the bonfire was awesome.  it just was too short!  but we had alot of musicians in our group and my husband had planned a little musical show, so that's why it was soo amazing.  i wouldn't have given it up though for sure. 

 

we skipped the cocktail hour as well which was a very wise decision. all of the guests just went over to the barrcuda bar which is the bar out towards the ocean with swings. that is where we were taking pictures anyway, so we were with the party the entire time pretty much.  the cocktail hour flew by and jackie was quickly ushering us into the reception. i defintiely recommend opting out of the cocktail hour. 

 

i unfortuantely did not get to eat any of the wedding food because that was the day i was dealing with "mexico tummy"  so i had saltines for dinner.  isn't that sad!  we had the carribean menu and he said teh coconut fish and the beef shishkabobs were his favorite.  the cold salads didn't get eaten much it seemed so if you can substitute more warm items for the cold items that may be a good thing. 

 

we got the silver wedding pacakge so it didn't include the mexican trio so i can't speak to that.  the silver package had everything we thought we needed. the massage was nice. we did it the first day there which i think was a good thing because we were so anxious when we arrived. 

 

we did not bring chair sashes but i dont' think we needed them at all. the flowers they provide are quite large so they serve as plenty of decoration.  i just brought two starfish to hang on the first two chairs as we went down the aisle. 

 

we did not give favors at the wedding. just a gift bag when the guests arrived. we kept it simple but did include inflatable flamingo drink holders which i got off of amazon which were a hit. 

 

are you using the resort photographer?  if so i have some suggestions on that as well.  so let me know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by ChelseyB View Post

 

the bonfire was awesome.  it just was too short!  but we had alot of musicians in our group and my husband had planned a little musical show, so that's why it was soo amazing.  i wouldn't have given it up though for sure. 

 

we skipped the cocktail hour as well which was a very wise decision. all of the guests just went over to the barrcuda bar which is the bar out towards the ocean with swings. that is where we were taking pictures anyway, so we were with the party the entire time pretty much.  the cocktail hour flew by and jackie was quickly ushering us into the reception. i defintiely recommend opting out of the cocktail hour. 

 

i unfortuantely did not get to eat any of the wedding food because that was the day i was dealing with "mexico tummy"  so i had saltines for dinner.  isn't that sad!  we had the carribean menu and he said teh coconut fish and the beef shishkabobs were his favorite.  the cold salads didn't get eaten much it seemed so if you can substitute more warm items for the cold items that may be a good thing. 

 

we got the silver wedding pacakge so it didn't include the mexican trio so i can't speak to that.  the silver package had everything we thought we needed. the massage was nice. we did it the first day there which i think was a good thing because we were so anxious when we arrived. 

 

we did not bring chair sashes but i dont' think we needed them at all. the flowers they provide are quite large so they serve as plenty of decoration.  i just brought two starfish to hang on the first two chairs as we went down the aisle. 

 

we did not give favors at the wedding. just a gift bag when the guests arrived. we kept it simple but did include inflatable flamingo drink holders which i got off of amazon which were a hit. 

 

are you using the resort photographer?  if so i have some suggestions on that as well.  so let me know

 

Thank you so much for all your tips!  Yes we are using the report photographer. 

If you didnt get chair covers included in the silver package what did the chairs look like?  Were they the bamboo style or a nice white chair?

If thats the case I might just go with the other wedding package...... we were thinking we needed the most expensive package but are finding we may not need some of the items.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by ChelseyB View Post

 

i just returned from the resort for our wedding.  man o man was it sooo much fun.   overall it was 100% a wonderful success and so much fun, but i'm going to share the things that i wish i had learned before i went, so this post may sound negative, but i'm not trying to be negative . it was 98% wonderful and only 2% negative. promise. 

 

jacki was amazing and took care of everything.  she would just say "dont' worry about it, i got it"  and she did.  the reception was at el patio which was the perfect space. i'm so glad we decided to do that versus the beach. the beach weddings were just too bright with all the lighting they used. and everyone at the resort was watching the entire time. el patio was way more private.  we saw a wedding not quite on the beach, but on the bonfire location and that looked alot better than the beach location. 

 

i had my hair and makeup done at the spa and pedicure.  the spa is beautiful but it was the most expensive pedicure that i've ever had and it wasn't that impressive. i would suggest just getting them done before you go. the makeup looked good and the hair looked pretty good but they used tons of hairsparay that kept my hair in place in case it was windy and now when i look at the pictures i just feel like my hair looks glued in place. i wish i would have asked them to just let it blow in the wind a bit.  i think that would have looked more natural.  

 

some other unfortunate things is that a large group of us got "mexico belly" if you know what i mean.  luckily we had three doctors in the group who had brought stuff to deal with it kind of.  but it still put all that got it out for about 24 hours. i would definitely suggest going to teh dr and getting some medicine from your doctor in case you need something for vomitting or diarrehea once you get there.  also, we had one person have their wallet stolen from the room.  he had not put it in the safe.  noone that used the safe had any complaints.  my sunglasses disappeared from our room (again not in the safe) and we heard a story of a guy walking in on the maid going through his back pack.  

 

the food was very very good at portofino(italian) and el patio(mexican). i got the lobster 2 nights because it was so amazing. teh lobster costs extra but to me was worth it. 

 

the rooms were awesome. there are different size rooms in the same price bracket. the first night the room we got was smaller than my mom's room, so we asked for the larger room and they moved us the next day.  the 7th floor is the preferred club level and that was awesome. we are so glad we got that.  they had top shelf liquor and snacks all the time. a lso they had breakfast up there so we didn't have to go down to the loud busy buffet in the morning and could just have a quiet breakfast up with our family in the morning. often i would order room service and then take it out to the 7th floor lounge to have with my family.  the room service food was much better than i've had at other resorts.  especially the chicken fingers.  super yummy. 

 

okay now i just really want to go back so i'm going to stop writing, but please ask if you have any questions. 

 

chelsey

 

 

 

 

the chairs were white and looked very beautiful. 

 

the suggestion i had about the resort photographer is that she kept taking pictures of us from the back and we ended up with more pictures of us from teh back then of our faces.  i don't see us using the back shots as much as we would face shots, so i wish i would have stopped her from turning us around so often and just asked for more front shots.  otherwise the photos were very good. 

post-58380-138622497022_thumb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello all!  Had my wedding last week and everything was wonderful.  I will post details and reviews in a few days, just busy getting caught up at work now.  Feel free to ask any questions!  I ended up having the ceremony in the gazebo and the reception at el Patio.  One think I recommend is tie clips, the guy's ties were flying all over the place.  Good gift idea!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by Timothea View Post

 

Hello all!  Had my wedding last week and everything was wonderful.  I will post details and reviews in a few days, just busy getting caught up at work now.  Feel free to ask any questions!  I ended up having the ceremony in the gazebo and the reception at el Patio.  One think I recommend is tie clips, the guy's ties were flying all over the place.  Good gift idea!

So excited to hear all of your feedback. How big was your group? we are having a group of 40 and was hoping El Patio wouldn't feel too big and empty if we rented it out. Did you get the extra hour? did you feel like you needed it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by Timothea View Post

 

Hello all!  Had my wedding last week and everything was wonderful.  I will post details and reviews in a few days, just busy getting caught up at work now.  Feel free to ask any questions!  I ended up having the ceremony in the gazebo and the reception at el Patio.  One think I recommend is tie clips, the guy's ties were flying all over the place.  Good gift idea!

Also, were there theme nights/entertainment at PA? Did you go to the 'night club'? If so how was it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • Hi there, I think the idea of abroad trip is great for the newly married couple. But along with the trip you can also gift them some beautiful pairs of wholesale designer sunglasses, that will be helpful to them on the trip. By wearing wholesale sunglasses they look stylish and fashionable.
    • What is BMI? Body Mass Index ( BMI index ) is a person’s weight in kilograms divided by the square of height in meters. For children and teens, BMI is age- and sex-specific and is often referred to as BMI-for-age. In children, a high amount of body fat can lead to weight-related diseases and other health issues and being underweight can also put one at risk for health issues. A high BMI can be an indicator of high body fatness. BMI does not measure body fat directly, but research has shown that BMI is correlated with more direct measures of body fat, such as skinfold thickness measurements, bioelectrical impedance, densitometry (underwater weighing), dual energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) and other methods1,2,3. BMI can be considered an alternative to direct measures of body fat. In general, BMI is an inexpensive and easy-to-perform method of screening for weight categories that may lead to health problems. How is BMI calculated for children and teens? Calculating BMI using the BMI Percentile Calculator involves the following steps: Measure height and weight. Refer to Measuring Children’s Height and Weight Accurately At Home for guidance. Use the Child and Teen BMI Calculator to calculate BMI. The BMI number is calculated using standard formulas. What is a BMI percentile and how is it interpreted? After BMI is calculated for children and teens, it is expressed as a percentile which can be obtained from either a graph or a percentile calculator (see links below). These percentiles express a child’s BMI relative to children in the U.S. who participated in national surveys that were conducted from 1963-65 to 1988-944. Because weight and height change during growth and development, as does their relation to body fatness, a child’s BMI must be interpreted relative to other children of the same sex and age. The BMI-for-age percentile growth charts are the most commonly used indicator to measure the size and growth patterns of children and teens in the United States. BMI-for-age weight status categories and the corresponding percentiles were based on expert committee recommendations and are shown in the following table.   Weight Status Category Percentile Range Underweight Less than the 5th percentile Normal or Healthy Weight 5th percentile to less than the 85th percentile Overweight 85th to less than the 95th percentile Obese Equal to or greater than the 95th percentile   How is BMI used with children and teens? For children and teens, BMI is not a diagnostic tool and is used to screen for potential weight and health-related issues. For example, a child may have a high BMI for their age and sex, but to determine if excess fat is a problem, a health care provider would need to perform further assessments. These assessments might include skinfold thickness measurements, evaluations of diet, physical activity, family history, and other appropriate health screenings. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends the use of BMI to screen for overweight and obesity in children beginning at 2 years old. For children under the age of 2 years old, consult the WHO standards. BMI online Is BMI interpreted the same way for children and teens as it is for adults? BMI is interpreted differently for children and teens even though it is calculated as weight ÷ height2. Because there are changes in weight and height with age, as well as their relation to body fatness, BMI levels among children and teens need to be expressed relative to other children of the same sex and age. These percentiles are calculated from the CDC growth charts, which were based on national survey data collected from 1963-65 to 1988-944. Obesity is defined as a BMI at or above the 95th percentile for children and teens of the same age and sex. For example, a 10-year-old boy of average height (56 inches) who weighs 102 pounds would have a BMI of 22.9 kg/m2. This would place the boy in the 95th percentile for BMI, and he would be considered to have obesity. This means that the child’s BMI is greater than the BMI of 95% of 10-year-old boys in the reference population. For adults, BMI is interpreted as weight status categories that are not dependent on sex or age. Read more: How to interpret BMI for adult BMI Why can’t healthy weight ranges be provided for children and teens? Normal or healthy weight weight status is based on BMI between the 5th and 85th percentile on the CDC growth chart. It is difficult to provide healthy weight ranges for children and teens because the interpretation of BMI depends on weight, height, age, and sex. What are the BMI trends for children and teens in the United States? The prevalence of children and teens who measure in the 95th percentile or greater on the CDC growth charts has greatly increased over the past 40 years. Recently, however, this trend has leveled off and has even declined in certain age groups. To learn more about child and teen obesity trends, visit Childhood Obesity Facts. How can I tell if my child is overweight or obese? CDC and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommend the use of BMI to screen for overweight and obesity in children and teens age 2 through 19 years. For children under the age of 2 years old, consult the WHO standards. Although BMI is used to screen for overweight and obesity in children and teens, BMI is not a diagnostic tool. To determine whether the child has excess fat, further assessment by a trained health professional would be needed. For information about the consequences of childhood obesity, its contributing factors and more, see Tips for Parents – Ideas and Tips to Help Prevent Childhood Obesity. Can I determine if my child or teen is obese by using an adult BMI calculator? In general, it’s not possible to do this. The adult calculator provides only the BMI value (weight/height2) and not the BMI percentile that is needed to interpret BMI among children and teens. It is not appropriate to use the BMI categories for adults to interpret the BMI of children and teens. However, if a child or teen has a BMI of ≥ 30 kg/m2, the child is almost certainly obese. A BMI of 30 kg/m2 is approximately the 95th percentile among 17-year-old girls and 18-year-old boys. My two children have the same BMI values, but one is considered obese and the other is not. Why is that? The interpretation of BMI varies by age and sex. So if the children are not the same age and the same sex, the interpretation of BMI has different meanings. For children of different age and sex, the same BMI could represent different BMI percentiles and possibly different weight status categories. See the following graphic for an example for a 10-year-old boy and a 15-year-old boy who both have a BMI-for-age of 23. (Note that two children of different ages are plotted on the same growth chart to illustrate a point. Normally the measurement for only one child is plotted on a growth chart.)  
    • Whether your relatives were especially generous with their checks or you intentionally set up a cash registry, let’s be perfectly clear: There’s no right or wrong way to spend your wedding gift money.  So sit down and start talking to ensure you’re both on the same page, then check out some of our favorite ideas for spending (and saving) those dollars wisely. Be Sensible About the Long Run
      Sometimes it pays to be a responsible adult, even if it seems boring on the surface. Before that cash starts burning a hole in your pocket, it’s a good idea to “pay yourselves first.” That means paying down debt (especially if you racked up any for the wedding itself), starting a rainy day savings fund, or even contributing to your retirement accounts. It might feel like a lifetime away, but one day you’ll both be glad you made such a sound investment. Save Up for Something Big
      A wedding windfall offers the perfect opportunity to get the two of you closer to a future goal you’ve been dreaming of. It can be as immediate as investing in much-needed new furniture (you can finally dump that lumpy old mattress!), or as far down the road as saving up for a home. Or maybe you want to buy a new car—especially if that sporty two-seater you’re currently driving doesn’t exactly match up with your plans to have kids. Whatever the goal, working toward something together will only serve to strengthen your relationship. Bright idea: Want to put your wedding wedding toward a down payment on a house? Consider opening a certificate of deposit (CD), especially if you’re not planning to buy for a few years. CDs tend to offer higher interest rates than savings accounts—and since you can’t touch the money for a set period of time, it’s useful if you’re usually tempted to tap into your savings for more immediate needs. Have a Little Fun
      Once you’ve got the future squared away, it’s okay to treat yourselves—so go ahead and enjoy a mini splurge that’ll benefit both of you. Reserve a small amount to put toward a shared interest, like a high-tech wine fridge or top-of-the-line home theater system. Or if the two of you have been texting each other pictures of golden doodle puppies for weeks, and you’re serious about raising a dog or cat, visit your local shelter or check out reputable breeders to find a new four-legged friend. Allocating a bit of the funds for something exciting maintains a healthy balance in your spending habits, making long-term financial wellness more achievable. (You know what they say about all work and no play.) Bright idea: Take a class together. Having a common interest helps you grow as a couple, so pick something you both want to learn, like a foreign language, and enjoy that extra quality time. 
    • The Body Mass Index (BMI) Calculator can be used to calculate BMI value and corresponding weight status while taking age into consideration. Use the "Metric Units" tab for the International System of Units or the "Other Units" tab to convert units into either US or metric units. Note that the calculator also computes the Ponderal Index in addition to BMI, both of which are discussed below in detail. Reference BMI is a measurement of a person's leanness or corpulence based on their height and weight, and is intended to quantify tissue mass. Although BMI has limitations in that it is an estimate that cannot take body composition into account, it can be used as a general indicator of a healthy body weight based on a person's height. The value obtained from the calculation of BMI is widely used to categorize whether a person is underweight, normal weight, overweight, or obese depending on what range the value falls between. These ranges of BMI vary based on factors such as region and age, and are sometimes further divided into subcategories such as severely underweight or very severely obese. As previously mentioned however, due to a wide variety of body types as well as distribution of muscle, bone mass, and fat, BMI should be considered along with other measurements rather than being used as the sole method for determining a person's "healthy" body weight.   Body Mass Index Formula Below are the equations used for calculating BMI in the International System of Units (SI) and the US customary system (USC) using a 5'10", 160-pound individual as an example: USC Units: BMI = 703× mass (lbs)   height2 (in)  = 703× 160   702  = 22.96 kg   m2 SI, Metric Units: BMI =  mass (kg)   height2 (m)  =  72.57   1.782  = 22.90 kg   m2 Ponderal Index The Ponderal Index (PI) is similar to BMI in that it measures the leanness or corpulence of a person based on their height and weight. The main difference between the PI and BMI is the cubing rather than squaring of the height in the formula (provided below). While BMI can be a useful tool when considering large populations, it is not reliable for determining leanness or corpulence in individuals. Although the PI suffers from similar considerations, the PI is more reliable for use with very tall or short individuals, while BMI tends to record uncharacteristically high or low body fat levels for those on the extreme ends of the height and weight spectrum. Below is the equation for computing the PI of an individual using USC, again using a 5'10", 160-pound individual as an example: USC Units: PI =  height (in)   ∛mass (lbs)  =  70   ∛160  = 12.89 in   ∛lbs SI, Metric Units: PI =  mass (kg)   height3 (m)  =  72.57   1.783  = 12.87 kg   m3   BMI Table for Adults This is the World Health Organization's (WHO) recommended body weight based on BMI values for adults. It is used for both men and women, age 18 or older. Category BMI range - kg/m2 Severe Thinness < 16 Moderate Thinness 16 - 17 Mild Thinness 17 - 18.5 Normal 18.5 - 25 Overweight 25 - 30 Obese Class I 30 - 35 Obese Class II 35 - 40 Obese Class III > 40   >> Read more: BMI Online
    • After the wedding, the wedding dress purchased at a high price can be kept in the wardrobe, or it can be sold as a second-hand wedding dress for some cash. If you're in the market to sell your wedding dress or looking to buy a used one, you may be tempted to turn to large online marketplaces like Ebay and Craigslist. While these popular websites are great for listing and buying everyday purchases, a website specifically for used wedding dresses can probably offer you a better deal and a more user-friendly service for this very niche (and important) wedding day purchase.  Tips for Selling Used Wedding Dresses
      Whether you aren't the sentimental type or you're just savvy, selling your used wedding dress is an easy way to recoup some money from your wedding. If your dress is in good condition, consider listing it online over selling it to a thrift store, where your listing will reach a greater volume of potential buyers and can be more easily shared and promoted. A used wedding dress in great condition and under two years old can usually sell for 50 percent of the retail price. And, if your dress is a more recognizable brand like Oscar de la Renta or Vera Wang, you could make closer to 60 percent of its retail value. Even if your gown isn't designer, don't give up hope—since there's a large demand for all kinds of second hand wedding dresses, a designer label doesn't necessarily mean your dress will sell faster. Not to mention, mermaid dresses are also in high demand, so you shouldn't worry if you're not a sample size. Tips for Buying Used Wedding Dresses
      Buying a used wedding dress can be a bit of a gamble, but as long you're cautious, it's a thrifty way to snag a designer wedding dress for half the retail value. Plus, if you get lucky and buy a wedding dress from someone with a similar body type, you may not have to make too many alterations, which also cuts down on your costs. As long as the gown you found looks to be in good condition (if you can't see it in person, make sure photos show it clearly from all angles or ask to Skype with the seller to get a better look), a used wedding gown can be a terrific deal. A few tips: Since your dress will have to be custom-tailored to your body regardless, a larger size is easier to work with where alterations are concerned. Fabric can always be subtracted, but adding more fabric that perfectly matches the rest of the gown can be difficult (not to mention expensive!). And because you're getting the wedding dress for a steal, you can put some of the money you save toward making sure it fits like a glove (and some extra dry-cleaning if necessary).
  • Topics

×