Photo

Anyone travel the EuroRail?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JennyK

JennyK
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:31 PM

If so, tell me about your experiences. Was it worth it? More expensive than hotel? FI and I have decided on our honeymoon but we were thinking of doing the EuroRail and checking out some more countries.

#2 amyc

amyc
    • 38 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:02 PM

I have and highly recommend it! I've traveled across Europe twice on a Eurail pass. I went to 5 countries and only had to take a cab twice. It goes everywhere and is so convenient. I did the Global Pass but there are some less expensive options available if you just want to go to a couple of countries. Where are you planning on going?

The trains in some countries are better than others but overall I felt safe at all times. They even have night trains. I took one from Florence, Italy to Munich, Germany (on my way to Oktoberfest :)). You have to pay an additional fee for a private sleeper car but it was about the same price as a hotel. The one I stayed in even had a private bathroom with a shower.

This is where I got my pass...
      How to travel by train in Europe: Eurorail, Eurail, Official fares and schedules from Rail Europe

Let me know if you have more questions. I spent a LOT of time on the trains! :)

#3 kr3611

kr3611
      • 127 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:08 PM

I agree. I had a 10 country pass when i backpacked in college and it was great. For your honeymoon, definitely make reservations and get a private car of course. There's tons of options so just decide exactly where you want to go and for how long. I like the night trains b/c it always seems like a waste of a whole day to sit on a train. I've taken them in Western and Eastern Europe both alone and with my FI and never had a major problem.

#4 -Kate-

-Kate-
        • VIP Member
        • 7,676 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:25 PM

I used it about 8 years ago for my 6 week backpacking trip and loved it. It's SO easy to use. Make sure you make reservations though if you want a private room.

#5 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
          • 11,659 posts
          • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:32 PM

we got it and LOVED it. i did a girls trip with my sisters....

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
          Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
          Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
          Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
          sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
          Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#6 Leia78

Leia78
          • VIP Member
          • 2,459 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:35 AM

i haven't yet, but John and I are planning to on our honeymoon. We're going to take it from Paris to Florence...woohoo!

#7 SAM

SAM
            • 542 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 04:02 AM

I took it last summer while in Italy. I HIGHLY recommend it. We went during the day so I didn't sleep on the train. It was very inexpensive and nice to see the country side.

#8 1elephant

1elephant
              • VIP Member
              • 15,998 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:46 AM

my sister and i looked into it when we traveled in europe. for whatever reason, at the time, it made sense to fly from one place to the next. we did strange cities tho (bologna and faenza, italy; nerka, spain; and dublin, which isn't so strange.)

#9 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 18,759 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 09:33 AM

I took the chunnel from london to paris. it was great. traveling by train was so much nicer than flying. the train was perfectly on schedule. you don't have to show up that early. it was really comfortable.

a roundtrip is often cheaper than a 1-way.

it's cheaper when you book in advance

if you are doing an overnight, get a private room

#10 JennyK

JennyK
                  • 3,502 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:24 PM

We're planning on flying to Portugal for a week, traveling around there and then take the Eurorail through Spain and France, and ending in Amsterdam. Plans aren't definite though.. only the Portugal for 2 weeks part :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users