Jump to content

Question about Rings and Chlorine / Salt H20


Recommended Posts

This may be a really stupid question! Can you wear your engagement and wedding rings in the pool/ocean?

I'm so afraid of the rings sliding off of me since I know a girl who lost her engagement ring in the ocean.

I'm paranoid about leaving my rings in the room safe while I'm out and about.

 

I hope I don't sound stupid but I really think about this a lot!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not a stupid question. I know some people do and some people don't. I just went to Miami a month ago and I had my ring on in the ocean. My friend did as well. But if your really paranoid about it then maybe you shouldn't because you are going to be constantly thinking about it. Lock it up in a safe or leave it home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie09 View Post
This may be a really stupid question! Can you wear your engagement and wedding rings in the pool/ocean?
I'm so afraid of the rings sliding off of me since I know a girl who lost her engagement ring in the ocean.
I'm paranoid about leaving my rings in the room safe while I'm out and about.

I hope I don't sound stupid but I really think about this a lot!!!
Funny! I was just having this conversation with my jeweler, who also happens to be a very close friend. This is what she told me...

"Do NOT wear your diamond rings in the pool (chlorine) if there is a lot of soldering b/c the chlorine slowly eats away at the soldering."

"Occasionally wearing them in is not a big deal but wash them with warm, soapy water when you get out"

"As for the ocean, salt water shrinks your fingers so if your rings don't fit snug - watch out!"

she also said that is one of the highest insurance replacement claims they get - people losing their rings in the ocean!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
Funny! I was just having this conversation with my jeweler, who also happens to be a very close friend. This is what she told me...

"Do NOT wear your diamond rings in the pool (chlorine) if there is a lot of soldering b/c the chlorine slowly eats away at the soldering."

"Occasionally wearing them in is not a big deal but wash them with warm, soapy water when you get out"

"As for the ocean, salt water shrinks your fingers so if your rings don't fit snug - watch out!"

she also said that is one of the highest insurance replacement claims they get - people losing their rings in the ocean!
Yeah I'm also very afraid of ruining the rings. And my engagement ring tends to loosen a bit when my hands are cold..I have no idea what to do!!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie09 View Post
Yeah I'm also very afraid of ruining the rings. And my engagement ring tends to loosen a bit when my hands are cold..I have no idea what to do!!
Well if it is only for your wedding / HM it is not that big of a deal - i think it is more for people who go to the pool or ocean 1x a week or a couple times a month KWIM?

my personal viewpoint is that when i am traveling my rings are safest when they are on me.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never really thought about this. My fingers tend to swell and I actually take my ring off sometimes because of it. I guess I will see what happens when we are down there. If my ring starts fitting loosely, then I will probably keep it in the safe when I go to the ocean, but otherwise I will be keeping it on my finger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...