Photo

Question about Rings and Chlorine / Salt H20

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lillie09

Lillie09
  • 114 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:43 PM

This may be a really stupid question! Can you wear your engagement and wedding rings in the pool/ocean?
    I'm so afraid of the rings sliding off of me since I know a girl who lost her engagement ring in the ocean.
    I'm paranoid about leaving my rings in the room safe while I'm out and about.

I hope I don't sound stupid but I really think about this a lot!!!

#2 Angel

Angel
    • 2,635 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:47 PM

It's not a stupid question. I know some people do and some people don't. I just went to Miami a month ago and I had my ring on in the ocean. My friend did as well. But if your really paranoid about it then maybe you shouldn't because you are going to be constantly thinking about it. Lock it up in a safe or leave it home.

#3 Angel

Angel
      • 2,635 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:49 PM

And mine fits pretty snug so I think that's why I'm not too worried about it falling off.

#4 JUSTUSTWO

JUSTUSTWO

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 12,193 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:52 PM

I had mine on in the water on my HM & did not have a problem at all. I think I kept checking my hand though every now & then, just making sure it was always there! LOL

#5 Anna83

Anna83
          • 288 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:34 PM

I wear mine all the time in the water and have never had a problem. Give it a try, and if it feels too loose, than take it off. If your ring fits loosely, you might not want to wear it.

#6 Alyssa

Alyssa
            • 11,793 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:46 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Lillie09
              This may be a really stupid question! Can you wear your engagement and wedding rings in the pool/ocean?
              I'm so afraid of the rings sliding off of me since I know a girl who lost her engagement ring in the ocean.
              I'm paranoid about leaving my rings in the room safe while I'm out and about.

I hope I don't sound stupid but I really think about this a lot!!!
              Funny! I was just having this conversation with my jeweler, who also happens to be a very close friend. This is what she told me...

"Do NOT wear your diamond rings in the pool (chlorine) if there is a lot of soldering b/c the chlorine slowly eats away at the soldering."

"Occasionally wearing them in is not a big deal but wash them with warm, soapy water when you get out"

"As for the ocean, salt water shrinks your fingers so if your rings don't fit snug - watch out!"

she also said that is one of the highest insurance replacement claims they get - people losing their rings in the ocean!

#7 Lillie09

Lillie09
              • 114 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 09:54 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Alyssa
                Funny! I was just having this conversation with my jeweler, who also happens to be a very close friend. This is what she told me...

"Do NOT wear your diamond rings in the pool (chlorine) if there is a lot of soldering b/c the chlorine slowly eats away at the soldering."

"Occasionally wearing them in is not a big deal but wash them with warm, soapy water when you get out"

"As for the ocean, salt water shrinks your fingers so if your rings don't fit snug - watch out!"

she also said that is one of the highest insurance replacement claims they get - people losing their rings in the ocean!
                Yeah I'm also very afraid of ruining the rings. And my engagement ring tends to loosen a bit when my hands are cold..I have no idea what to do!!

#8 Alyssa

Alyssa
                • 11,793 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:08 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Lillie09
                  Yeah I'm also very afraid of ruining the rings. And my engagement ring tends to loosen a bit when my hands are cold..I have no idea what to do!!
                  Well if it is only for your wedding / HM it is not that big of a deal - i think it is more for people who go to the pool or ocean 1x a week or a couple times a month KWIM?

my personal viewpoint is that when i am traveling my rings are safest when they are on me.

#9 EricaG

EricaG
                  • 1,915 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:36 PM

I never really thought about this. My fingers tend to swell and I actually take my ring off sometimes because of it. I guess I will see what happens when we are down there. If my ring starts fitting loosely, then I will probably keep it in the safe when I go to the ocean, but otherwise I will be keeping it on my finger.
                    http://i141.photobuc....DSC_0038-1.jpghttp://i141.photobuc....DSC_0463-1.jpg
                    My wedding review of the Grand Palladium Palace, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
                    http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t35125

Our Professional Wedding and TTD Pictures by Photo Souvenirhttp:...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users