Jump to content

Photo

aventura spa palace


  • Please log in to reply
2875 replies to this topic

#2781 chase414

chase414
  • Newbie
  • 97 posts

    Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

    Oh No!!! He did mention to me that he did your make-up for the trash the dress and he didn't think you liked it.  I forgot all about it until you just mentioned it.  

     

    I only wear Mally make-up so I made him use my make-up for the wedding.  But I was also on him about it every step of the way!  Way back when, I used to be a make-up artist.  I was planning on doing my own make-up until I met him and he did a trial run for me.  I was thrilled with the result. 

     

    Sorry you had such a bad experience with him.

     

    Oh and I saw your ceremony!  We were watching from above.  You looked beautiful!!!  Loved your chair decorations 

    Lol your post with all your wedding photos was not up on my comp when I posted!!!
    Loved the set up! You looked gorgeous!!
    Okay funny story about your makeup guy - he did my makeup for my trash the dress day and it was horrible!! I looked like a transvestite! I ran out of the salon after I tol him it was bad, ran to my friends room with my head down and face covered and she couldn't stop laughing!! I wish I took a picture! I was orange and my eyeliner was so thick and rummed all they way around my eyes!!! So yeah I washed my face and did it myself! I'm do glad he did yours extremely well!! He also did Brad sisters makeup the day I my wedding and did a great job so he must have been off his game or something! Also I asked for light and beachy makeup because my wedding day makeup was fairly heavy (gorgeous but I was afraid too much would melt in the water) and I wanted something different from my wedding photos.


    #2782 breeburns

    breeburns
    • Newbie
    • 102 posts

      Posted 12 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

      Yeah I had all my own makeup too! I even showed him the colours for my eye makeup but he never used it lol!! I could only laugh and still am fine that I did my own - it makes for a funny story (I wish I took a picture of it!!! We were gone all day on the Thursday for our TTD and your wedding day I wished I could have watched! I loved my ceremony (Chichen Gazebo)!! Our friends set our ceremony and reception decor up (they wanted $300 for what little things I brought). I loved my starfish - sad that I left them there! I needed room in my suitcase for my dress on the way home. The only complaint we had for the ceremony was the minister lady was so friggen religious!! Brad and I were both raised catholic but we aren't religious at all so we asked for non religious and got her talking about god and saying prayers the entire time. I can't lie I don't know really what she was saying as he and I spent the entire time chatting to ourselves! But I know the vow part started like "before god..." so basically ladies if you aren't religious really stress it to your wedding planner about how important it is that there is no mention of god etc. it was very odd for us. And she said my name wrong the entire time!! She did ask brad before the ceremony how to say our names (and she wasn't even Mexican, she was from the states), my dad halfway through also stopped the ceremony to correct her pronunciation and then she introduced us with the wrong last name! Again he and I just laughed, we are fairly easy going people! Again makes for funny stories!

      #2783 chase414

      chase414
      • Newbie
      • 97 posts

        Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

        LOL, You have to laugh some stuff off.  We had a different officiant.  I don't recall any overly religious stuff.  She did do a mexican reading that she said is done at all mexican weddings. It was actually very quick.  We also had my sister do a reading, which was nice.

         

        Our officiant was a Mexican female and our funny story is that she and our best man were wearing the same pink guayabera shirt! 

        Originally Posted by breeburns 

        Yeah I had all my own makeup too! I even showed him the colours for my eye makeup but he never used it lol!! I could only laugh and still am fine that I did my own - it makes for a funny story (I wish I took a picture of it!!! We were gone all day on the Thursday for our TTD and your wedding day I wished I could have watched!
        I loved my ceremony (Chichen Gazebo)!! Our friends set our ceremony and reception decor up (they wanted $300 for what little things I brought). I loved my starfish - sad that I left them there! I needed room in my suitcase for my dress on the way home.
        The only complaint we had for the ceremony was the minister lady was so friggen religious!! Brad and I were both raised catholic but we aren't religious at all so we asked for non religious and got her talking about god and saying prayers the entire time. I can't lie I don't know really what she was saying as he and I spent the entire time chatting to ourselves! But I know the vow part started like "before god..." so basically ladies if you aren't religious really stress it to your wedding planner about how important it is that there is no mention of god etc. it was very odd for us. And she said my name wrong the entire time!! She did ask brad before the ceremony how to say our names (and she wasn't even Mexican, she was from the states), my dad halfway through also stopped the ceremony to correct her pronunciation and then she introduced us with the wrong last name! Again he and I just laughed, we are fairly easy going people! Again makes for funny stories!


        #2784 SarahWitt

        SarahWitt
        • Newbie
        • 69 posts

          Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:05 AM

          Hi Chase,

           

           

          I am a little nervous!! Myself and all of our guests are staying on the cove side because we have a couple children coming, and we definitly drink and I was looking forward to the swim up bar.

           

          Is this really closed as you said in your review???

          (The Cove side swim up bar is closed along with the brick pizza oven)

           

          I emailed Cristina my wedding coordinator, but the more I hear about this resort, the more nervous I am getting!!!!

           

          Thanks & if you have any comments/feedback about the Cove side that would be great to hear:)

           

           

           

          Originally Posted by chase414 

          Wedding Day!

          We had a ceremony at the Chichen Gazebo.  What I wish I had know prior to arriving (but worked out for us because we had music and an extra usb drive) is that your guests are asked to arriving to the Gazebo 30 mins prior to your ceremony time.  They will not release you from your room until all the guests have arrived.  So if you don't want your guests sitting around without music, bring a usb drive that they can use with the sound system at the ceremony.  They may take other forms of music but didn't ask.

           

          I didn't end up getting out of our room until 4:10 and our ceremony was supposed to start at 4:00.  The saxophone player was late!

           

          But it all worked out and it was all so beautiful.  I can't wait til we get back our video and pictures from the resort!  

           

          909.JPG1123.JPG1094.JPG

           

          Our after the ceremony reception was held at the Pandero Terrace.   I loved this spot and so happy with our choice of location!

          I'm also thankful, that I had a change in dresses!  By the time the ceremony and photo session was over I was soaked.  It was very, very hot in my gown.

           

          237 - Copy.JPG

          We also hired the Mexican Trio and had our fireworks at this location! It was wonderful.366.JPG392.JPG

          We had our dinner reception at the El Greco on the lower outdoor terrace.  We had this area to ourselves and it was wonderful.  After we sat down the waiter let us know that the chef would prepare a special menu of Filet Mignon and Grilled Shrimp for us!  They had the champagne flowing all night as well. (I did request the lower terrace and wasn't sure that we would get it until we showed and saw that the area was set up for us.)

          698.JPG702.JPG

           

           

          Just a few more things you should know:  

          The Cove side swim up bar is closed along with the brick pizza oven.

          The Rock Climbing Wall is also closed, but it made for a great photo op!

          975.JPG

           

          And one more thing, Angel at the Salon did my hair and make-up!  Also, knows how to apply false eyelashes.  He's the best!! I love him.

          645.JPG646.JPG

           

          If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.  I'll be more than happy to help in anyway I can.

           

          If you would like feel free to check out all of our photos at our photo share site.  I have over 1000 pics on there between us and our guests!  They're also broken down into event albums.  They may give you a better idea on what the areas look like with decorations!  

           

          www.tammyjeffreylaporte.shutterfly.com

           

          Good luck ladies!!!



          #2785 chase414

          chase414
          • Newbie
          • 97 posts

            Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:55 AM

            Hi Sarah,

            Unfortunately, the swim up bar and brick oven pizza is closed.  However, the waiters and waitresses can bring you drinks.  And there is a snack bar open at the pool.  They serve pizza but not from the brick oven.  They also have a children's pool area with a really cool water slide!  The cove side pool is 3x larger than the spa side. This may be a plus or a negative but there was hardly anyone at this pool. Probably because the swim up bar was closed.  I really like the Cove lobby.  They have a pastry cafe and a children's area near the front entrance with marshmallow lolly pops.

             

            The cove lobby bar area is much nicer than the spa lobby bar.

             

            They do offer babysitting services.  The children's pool and children's clubhouse is fenced off so if you had them with the sitter it would be very safe.  The resort is beautiful.  Also, the breakfast buffet on the cove side is geared towards children.  They'll love it, frosted muffins, homemade donuts, waffles, candy!

             

            The resort is beautiful and if you go to the front entrance roads around 4:30 or 5 you'll see the monkeys!  They also offer a monkey tour on Mondays at 5pm.  We didn't do the tour but we did go and see them on our own one day.  

             

            Have faith, they may have it all up and running by the time you get there.  Even if it's not I think all your guests will have a great time!  The food at the resort is better than most we've been to!  There are so many more positives than negatives :)  



            Hi Chase,

             

             

            I am a little nervous!! Myself and all of our guests are staying on the cove side because we have a couple children coming, and we definitly drink and I was looking forward to the swim up bar.

             

            Is this really closed as you said in your review???

            (The Cove side swim up bar is closed along with the brick pizza oven)

             

            I emailed Cristina my wedding coordinator, but the more I hear about this resort, the more nervous I am getting!!!!

             

            Thanks & if you have any comments/feedback about the Cove side that would be great to hear:)

             

             

             



            #2786 AlmostMrsMcD

            AlmostMrsMcD
            • Newbie
            • 18 posts

              Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:52 AM

              I agree with Chase!!  Sarah we have to have a little faith!!  Think positive vibes!  I'm getting so excited and can't wait to leave!  We don't leave until Sunday I really have to get in gear this week and get all my bags organized, and start packing.  Can't wait to be at the poolbar, no matter what side it's on!!!



              #2787 SarahWitt

              SarahWitt
              • Newbie
              • 69 posts

                Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

                Thank you!!!

                 

                That helped put me at ease a little. Once I get there and get a feel for everything I am sure I will feel better. I am more concerned about my guests really than myself lol, so I am having faith everything goes well.

                 

                Thank you for all of that, it did help!! I am glad you ladies had a great experience!!

                 

                Yes, I cant wait to leave, I am itching to get into the sun and have some drinks:)

                 

                We leave Saturday morning, bright and early, so we will see you Sunday and the rest of the week!!! I am hoping I dont forget anything lol!!

                Originally Posted by chase414 

                Hi Sarah,

                Unfortunately, the swim up bar and brick oven pizza is closed.  However, the waiters and waitresses can bring you drinks.  And there is a snack bar open at the pool.  They serve pizza but not from the brick oven.  They also have a children's pool area with a really cool water slide!  The cove side pool is 3x larger than the spa side. This may be a plus or a negative but there was hardly anyone at this pool. Probably because the swim up bar was closed.  I really like the Cove lobby.  They have a pastry cafe and a children's area near the front entrance with marshmallow lolly pops.

                 

                The cove lobby bar area is much nicer than the spa lobby bar.

                 

                They do offer babysitting services.  The children's pool and children's clubhouse is fenced off so if you had them with the sitter it would be very safe.  The resort is beautiful.  Also, the breakfast buffet on the cove side is geared towards children.  They'll love it, frosted muffins, homemade donuts, waffles, candy!

                 

                The resort is beautiful and if you go to the front entrance roads around 4:30 or 5 you'll see the monkeys!  They also offer a monkey tour on Mondays at 5pm.  We didn't do the tour but we did go and see them on our own one day.  

                 

                Have faith, they may have it all up and running by the time you get there.  Even if it's not I think all your guests will have a great time!  The food at the resort is better than most we've been to!  There are so many more positives than negatives :)  

                1011.JPG



                #2788 SarahWitt

                SarahWitt
                • Newbie
                • 69 posts

                  Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

                  Chase,

                   

                  Since you did get married on the Cove side in the Coba Gazebo, throughout the whole experience, what do you wish you would of known beforehand? Is there anything you would of changed?

                   

                  We are having a cocktail hour on the Cove Terrace Friday night, then Getting married in the coba gazebo at 6pm on saturday, then dinner at the Maracas Terrace after with Mariachies, then going indoors for a dance party with a DJ.

                   

                  Any suggestions, feedback, comments that you have not mentioned yet would be amazing!!!!!

                   

                  Thank you

                   

                  Sarah



                  #2789 SarahWitt

                  SarahWitt
                  • Newbie
                  • 69 posts

                    Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:44 AM

                    Sorry if you didnt get married on the cove side/Coba gazebo, I think I was reading my own profile lol. I was typing and not really processing/thinking!! So much to do before Saturday my mind is all over the place!!!

                     

                    Originally Posted by SarahWitt 

                    Chase,

                     

                    Since you did get married on the Cove side in the Coba Gazebo, throughout the whole experience, what do you wish you would of known beforehand? Is there anything you would of changed?

                     

                    We are having a cocktail hour on the Cove Terrace Friday night, then Getting married in the coba gazebo at 6pm on saturday, then dinner at the Maracas Terrace after with Mariachies, then going indoors for a dance party with a DJ.

                     

                    Any suggestions, feedback, comments that you have not mentioned yet would be amazing!!!!!

                     

                    Thank you

                     

                    Sarah



                    #2790 chase414

                    chase414
                    • Newbie
                    • 97 posts

                      Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

                      Hi Sarah,

                      We married at the Chichen Gazebo and I loved it!  (They may consider this the cove side as well)  

                       

                      I have to honestly say that all of my events far exceeded my expectations!  I brought so many of my own decorations and gave Karime (she was the best!) instructions on how I wanted everything set up.  I was sure something would have been done wrong, but everything was set up just as instructed and perfect!

                       

                      The only thing, like I said, I wish I would have known earlier that our guests had to be at the ceremony site 30 mins early.  But we had the music situation covered so it wasn't a big deal.  If we didn't have the extra usb stick and music already, I would have had poor Jeff running around Playa del Carmen to get it.

                       

                      Some things you should know about the resort credits and your wedding contract:

                       

                      1.  If you purchased a wedding package they state that you can use the resort credit towards your wedding package.  This is true but what they don't tell you is that they don't refund your money that you've already paid.  What they do is put your money in an account that you can spend at the resort. This worked out for us anyway because we had over $2,000 in wedding extras, but if we didn't we would have had to find a way to spend the money. 

                       

                      2.  If you have a group contract that states that they will be crediting you complimentary rooms post travel due to the amount of rooms your guests have purchased, don't plan on getting that money refunded to you either.  They say they'll put the money in an account for you to spend at the resort or use for future travel. Jeff fought this and they are supposed to wire the money into our checking account.  We're yet to see this money.

                       

                      3.  They just started a new 11% charge on use of your resort credits starting April 1st.  If you booked prior to then this will not apply to you.  However, they put it on your account and are supposed to take it off at the time of check out.  Some guests had it removed others had to argue to have it removed. But they will remove it.

                       

                      4.  You are permitted to use $300 of your resort dollars at the fine jewelry stores but only on diamonds and gold.  Also, you can negotiate prices in this store!  Do not pay full price.  You do have to pay 11% taxes.

                       

                      5. You are permitted to use $100 of your resort dollars in the silver jewelry stores.  Again an 11% charge.  You can negotiate prices in these stores too.

                       

                      6.  There is no longer a limit on the dollar amount to be used in the spa.  You can spend all of your resort dollars there.

                       

                      7.  Do plan on spending a significant amount of time in the vacation planners office to either confirm your spa apts or book them.  I HIGHLY advise that you book your spa apts on-line in advance!!  If you don't have the e-mail address to do this let me know and I'll give it to you.  Otherwise the chances of getting the apt time you want is very slim!  You can reserve your guests apts. on-line in advance as well and then when they check in they can go to the vacation planners office to confirm them and get their tickets.  

                       

                       

                      My only other words of advice that I can think of right now is DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR WHAT YOU WANT!  

                       

                      I asked to have Tres Leches for cake and I received it.

                      I also asked if they could dye the flowers in my bouquet hot pink and they did.  I also asked for hot pink ribbon around our bouquets and they did that too!

                       

                      Everyone from the waiters, bar staff and assistant WC's went out of their way to make our events very special.

                       

                      Don't be afraid to ask any other questions and if I think of something else, I'll post it.

                       

                      Good luck!

                       

                       

                      Originally Posted by SarahWitt 

                      Chase,

                       

                      Since you did get married on the Cove side in the Coba Gazebo, throughout the whole experience, what do you wish you would of known beforehand? Is there anything you would of changed?

                       

                      We are having a cocktail hour on the Cove Terrace Friday night, then Getting married in the coba gazebo at 6pm on saturday, then dinner at the Maracas Terrace after with Mariachies, then going indoors for a dance party with a DJ.

                       

                      Any suggestions, feedback, comments that you have not mentioned yet would be amazing!!!!!

                       

                      Thank you

                       

                      Sarah






                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users