We married at the Chichen Gazebo and I loved it! (They may consider this the cove side as well)
I have to honestly say that all of my events far exceeded my expectations! I brought so many of my own decorations and gave Karime (she was the best!) instructions on how I wanted everything set up. I was sure something would have been done wrong, but everything was set up just as instructed and perfect!
The only thing, like I said, I wish I would have known earlier that our guests had to be at the ceremony site 30 mins early. But we had the music situation covered so it wasn't a big deal. If we didn't have the extra usb stick and music already, I would have had poor Jeff running around Playa del Carmen to get it.
Some things you should know about the resort credits and your wedding contract:
1. If you purchased a wedding package they state that you can use the resort credit towards your wedding package. This is true but what they don't tell you is that they don't refund your money that you've already paid. What they do is put your money in an account that you can spend at the resort. This worked out for us anyway because we had over $2,000 in wedding extras, but if we didn't we would have had to find a way to spend the money.
2. If you have a group contract that states that they will be crediting you complimentary rooms post travel due to the amount of rooms your guests have purchased, don't plan on getting that money refunded to you either. They say they'll put the money in an account for you to spend at the resort or use for future travel. Jeff fought this and they are supposed to wire the money into our checking account. We're yet to see this money.
3. They just started a new 11% charge on use of your resort credits starting April 1st. If you booked prior to then this will not apply to you. However, they put it on your account and are supposed to take it off at the time of check out. Some guests had it removed others had to argue to have it removed. But they will remove it.
4. You are permitted to use $300 of your resort dollars at the fine jewelry stores but only on diamonds and gold. Also, you can negotiate prices in this store! Do not pay full price. You do have to pay 11% taxes.
5. You are permitted to use $100 of your resort dollars in the silver jewelry stores. Again an 11% charge. You can negotiate prices in these stores too.
6. There is no longer a limit on the dollar amount to be used in the spa. You can spend all of your resort dollars there.
7. Do plan on spending a significant amount of time in the vacation planners office to either confirm your spa apts or book them. I HIGHLY advise that you book your spa apts on-line in advance!! If you don't have the e-mail address to do this let me know and I'll give it to you. Otherwise the chances of getting the apt time you want is very slim! You can reserve your guests apts. on-line in advance as well and then when they check in they can go to the vacation planners office to confirm them and get their tickets.
My only other words of advice that I can think of right now is DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR WHAT YOU WANT!
I asked to have Tres Leches for cake and I received it.
I also asked if they could dye the flowers in my bouquet hot pink and they did. I also asked for hot pink ribbon around our bouquets and they did that too!
Everyone from the waiters, bar staff and assistant WC's went out of their way to make our events very special.
Don't be afraid to ask any other questions and if I think of something else, I'll post it.
Originally Posted by SarahWitt
Since you did get married on the Cove side in the Coba Gazebo, throughout the whole experience, what do you wish you would of known beforehand? Is there anything you would of changed?
We are having a cocktail hour on the Cove Terrace Friday night, then Getting married in the coba gazebo at 6pm on saturday, then dinner at the Maracas Terrace after with Mariachies, then going indoors for a dance party with a DJ.
Any suggestions, feedback, comments that you have not mentioned yet would be amazing!!!!!