57 replies to this topic

#11 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
  • 26,161 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:56 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DougsGirl
    we don't have it for our cats and dogs tho, they are all indoor animals and in good health so far (knock on wood!!) so we havent had to think about getting it ourselves.
    Yep, ours is an indoor animal too. We've been lucky that in 4 years she's only had 2 "emergencies" - once when she got in a fight with a loose dog in front of our house (she won..lol) and once while we were in PV getting married when she had an anal glad issue.

Both times were only a few hundred dollars so it was workable, but I fear the day something expensive happens.

#12 ACDCDCAC

ACDCDCAC
    • Moderators
    • 25,218 posts
    • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
    • LocationSeattle

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:00 AM

Quote:
    Originally Posted by starchild
    - once when she got in a fight with a loose dog in front of our house
    yikes, this makes me think of the stupid raccoons that like to chill in our backyard, dumb idiots, they don't even turn and run when you come out and shake a broom at them or yell. i guess actually that's sad, considering humans are the reason they're not scared, they've gotten used to us
    but anyways, i didn't even think about what if we let the dogs out to tinkle and they got into a fight (or eaten by! dogs are 5 lbs, raccoons are like 30!) with a raccoon? scary

#13 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
    • 26,161 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:07 AM

OMG I'm cool with many animals but I detest raccoons (more like fear them)! They are aggressive little buggers, and their hands creep me out...lol We rented a cabin once and this raccoon was like tearing at the screen door trying to get inside. I could do without them :P

Be careful with your little doggies :)

#14 PaulaV

PaulaV
      • VIP Member
      • 2,813 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:11 AM

That's a great question Jamy.
        Our dog is 13 and has had some issues lately that were quite expensive.
        Many places don't offer pet insurance if they are of a certain age, so it was too late when we looked into it.
        We are looking to get a new puppy very soon and will use VPI, it is offered through the company I work for...

#15 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
        • 26,161 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:14 AM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by PaulaV
          We are looking to get a new puppy very soon and will use VPI, it is offered through the company I work for...
          Now that's cool!!

#16 Christine

Christine
          • VIP Member
          • 21,514 posts
          • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
          • Wedding Location:Napa, California
          • LocationReno, NV

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:34 AM

Paula your company has pet insurance? that is so cool...I need a job like that.
          Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#17 lucy106

lucy106
          • 2,880 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 10:37 AM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by PaulaV
            That's a great question Jamy.
            Our dog is 13 and has had some issues lately that were quite expensive.
            Many places don't offer pet insurance if they are of a certain age, so it was too late when we looked into it.
            Dang that rules!!

#18 Hartyt509

Hartyt509
            • 2,262 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:42 PM

God I wish my job paid for my exams let alone dog insurance lmao how lucky are u lmao

#19 Alyssa

Alyssa
              • 11,793 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:31 PM

i have used VPI in the past and really like them. we accidentally let the policy lapse and had to pay out of pocket just 2 weeks ago when all the stuff happened with Mabel - i really wish we still had it but now the stuff she has will be considered "pre-existing conditions"

i say go for it and as soon as possible!

#20 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 9,504 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:35 PM

I need to check with our vet to see how much the average services are (teeth cleaning, heartworm, etc.) to see if it's worth it.

I checked the breed list and it doesn't cover labs for "exercise-induced collapse" ie, heatstroke and that is the most common problem with Labs. Harley has had 1 heatstroke and I thought I would die! He's old enough now I don't know if we should get it and I didn't see an age listing.

Also, who knew so many breeds were narcoleptic?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users