Sign in to follow this  
superez

Catholic tradition of presenting flowers to Virgin Mary

Hi!

Now that my fiance and I are looking over our mass and what readings to pick, etc, we are thinking of different traditions to incorporate. In addition to the mexican lazo and coins, we want to present flowers to the Virgin Mary. My question is this...it is usually roses, right? Does anyone know if it's a specific color like red or pink, or does it matter?? I've been to many a wedding where this takes place but never paid attention to the details! :)

Thanks!

I don't know that it matters what color they are. My mom made my bouquet to present and the roses were orange, red, and pink. I went to a wedding once where they were a really pretty blue. I think anything goes.

Thank you ladies, that really helps! My bouquet is white roses and white lilies, so I was thinking of something a little diferrent for her, like pink roses. :)

BUMP!

I was planning to basically make an extra bridesmaids bouquet - does it have to be white flowers?

Also a friend told me that the bouquet for the virgin should be bigger than the bridesmaids bouquet (and possibly mine, im not sure the conversation was in spanish and i got a bit lost)

Im not catholic (but having mixed marriage in catholic church) so i need to learn these traditions as i go!

Originally Posted by JessiTaylor View Post

BUMP!

I was planning to basically make an extra bridesmaids bouquet - does it have to be white flowers?

Also a friend told me that the bouquet for the virgin should be bigger than the bridesmaids bouquet (and possibly mine, im not sure the conversation was in spanish and i got a bit lost)

Im not catholic (but having mixed marriage in catholic church) so i need to learn these traditions as i go!

usually people leave roses, because roses are the most traditional. About sizes, it doesn't really matter, as long as flowers are beautiful!

white roses and white alstroemeria bouquet, with foliage