Sign in to follow this  
boscobel

wedding night lingerie

I'm very interested in this thread. Even though I'm going to have my own destination wedding in a couple of years, my future step daughter is having her wedding this July, and I have some questions.

It's always been a tradition here that the MOB provide the wedding night lingerie. In my day....yes, I'm old....the bride was given a beautiful, yet sexy, white peignoir (nightie and robe) by the mother. I only have an unmarried son and have not been to many showers/weddings to know what goes on.

It's apparent from reading this thread that wedding night lingerie is not a big thing with brides. Would a such a gift be completely old-fashioned and unappreciated? Do none of you have this tradition? Is this a gift you would like? This is a tense relationship as it is, and I'd hate to make it worse.

BTW, her father, my FI, thinks it's a wonderful idea and thinks his daughter would love it.

I'd love to read your thoughts.

Thanks

Well, honestly, I was expecting something similar like that from my mom at my shower. I did get a Victoria's Secret outfit - cute little sheer tank with panties. Very cute, but not what I had expected. I guess I watched too many movies and was expecting exactly what you described. But I think you can't go wrong if you do give that as a gift. I mean, it isn't like it is offensive. Here is one I bought for myself which is super cute.

Ok, I can't find the exact one, but this is pretty close. The one I got is sheer and straight and then has a short pleated hem at the bottom. Similar to this -

Victoria's Secret - Whispery georgette pleated babydoll

Carly,

Thanks for your response. I've talked to a few of the younger women at work, recent brides, who received lingerie gifts from their mothers. I also talked to friends who had given these gifts to their daughters at their showers. So, a romantic lingerie set is still an acceptable gift.

Now the hard part is to find something. I've looked online to get an idea of where to go and there seems to be nothing on-line at all. All that are shown are the short, sexy baby-doll types. I guess I'll have to hit some of the stores in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petunia View Post
Carly,

Thanks for your response. I've talked to a few of the younger women at work, recent brides, who received lingerie gifts from their mothers. I also talked to friends who had given these gifts to their daughters at their showers. So, a romantic lingerie set is still an acceptable gift.

Now the hard part is to find something. I've looked online to get an idea of where to go and there seems to be nothing on-line at all. All that are shown are the short, sexy baby-doll types. I guess I'll have to hit some of the stores in person.
I'm almost certain the Victoria's Secret website has a Wedding section, and I recall seeing sexy, but not as skimpy items there.

I got lingerie at my shower, but not from my mom. My sister and FSIL took care of that!