Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MrsV-to-be

New Mexican Foreign Worker's Policy??? what?

Recommended Posts

So, basically they are requiring a $500 fee and a three night stay. Then...if they feel like it they can also check the photographers credentials to make sure they are legal to be there.

 

It is two separate issues, that they are sort of trying to link together.

 

What I would surmise is that on top of the $500 and three night stay, if they feel like it they can hassle your photographer for their paperwork. If your photographer does not have all their t's crossed and i's dotted...... guess who will be photographing your wedding.....the resort photographer, and probably for a hefty fee.

 

I would raise holy hell with them about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not paying a $500 outside vendor fee and a 3 night stay at resort.

 

My photographer is "Cancun Studios" -they don't need a room- how retarded would that be? Plus, I know the resort is booked the weekend I'm getting married bc a few guests tried to book last minute...

 

I just emailed Valeria for some clarification. The original agreement I had with her, was the $500 outside vendor fee, and I'm not doing anything above that. I will pay the vendor fee and the photographer will have the appropriate gov't paperwork. I am "scheduled" to give the resort over $6K for the wedding stuff this Friday--- I do not want to be forced to do something drastic, but I will not do both- the 3 nights and the $500 fee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfwolfe72 View Post
Whoa.......wait a second, now they're asking for $500 AND a 3 nights stay?!??!?! Come on!!!! How much more can they possibly get us to pay?!?!?! I think I'm about as fired up as you are! This is total insanity!
Yes - this was the new policy, as stated in the new contract they had all the brides resign back in Dec/Jan.
It's totally insane!

i just got off the phone with my TA. She told me that she thinks its totally bullshit. the mexican policy shouldn't apply to the photographers who are coming in from out of coutnry to shoot 1 wedding and they leave.
They are working for the foreign clients, not any local businesses.
Further, as in my case - they are not being paid for it. So basically it's like I have a friend coming in to shoot the wedding, who just happens to be a professional photographer by job.

She also told me, that based on her dealings with flying into mexico for her travel agency business, that she does not have to check the 'I am here for business' box - since she was not conducting business in mexico. She says the same analysis would apply to foreign photographers coming in - in these type situations (for 1 wedding only). She advised me to have our photographers check the "I am a tourist" box!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambert13 View Post

What I would surmise is that on top of the $500 and three night stay, if they feel like it they can hassle your photographer for their paperwork. If your photographer does not have all their t's crossed and i's dotted...... guess who will be photographing your wedding.....the resort photographer, and probably for a hefty fee.
You just summed up the reasoning for all of these issues beautifully.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon View Post
I'm not paying a $500 outside vendor fee and a 3 night stay at resort.

My photographer is "Cancun Studios" -they don't need a room- how retarded would that be? Plus, I know the resort is booked the weekend I'm getting married bc a few guests tried to book last minute...

I just emailed Valeria for some clarification. The original agreement I had with her, was the $500 outside vendor fee, and I'm not doing anything above that. I will pay the vendor fee and the photographer will have the appropriate gov't paperwork. I am "scheduled" to give the resort over $6K for the wedding stuff this Friday--- I do not want to be forced to do something drastic, but I will not do both- the 3 nights and the $500 fee.
I just paid the resort for everything but the three day passes last week. This Friday I'm going to be paying them for the day passes and their per person charge for our private events. This is a good week for the resort, huh?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfwolfe72 View Post
I just paid the resort for everything but the three day passes last week. This Friday I'm going to be paying them for the day passes and their per person charge for our private events. This is a good week for the resort, huh?!
Crazy--- I have my signed application with the resort that I did last June (June 2007)- I haven't signed anything since then. I re-forwarded that to Valeria and asked her to confirm that I'm all set with paying the $500 vendor fee- the 3 night stay wasn't in my agreement. I will post when I hear back from her.

I"m too angry to even describe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambert13 View Post
So, basically they are requiring a $500 fee and a three night stay. Then...if they feel like it they can also check the photographers credentials to make sure they are legal to be there.

It is two separate issues, that they are sort of trying to link together.

What I would surmise is that on top of the $500 and three night stay, if they feel like it they can hassle your photographer for their paperwork. If your photographer does not have all their t's crossed and i's dotted...... guess who will be photographing your wedding.....the resort photographer, and probably for a hefty fee.

I would raise holy hell with them about this.
Exactly!! well put!

right now I'm just trying to find out if (a) they are going to honor my contract; and (B) what the hell everyone who brings a Canadian/US photographer into mexico, to shoot their wedding only, has to get from the Mexican Government.
I have 1 call into the Calgary Mexican Consulate. an email into the Contact at the Mexican Consulate in Ottawa who deals specifically with Tourism & Economic affairs....we shall see what happens!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been told FM3 visas are nearly impossible to get if you do not actually live in mexico for a period of time.

 

I couldn't find anything else for mexico, but if you were coming to the US for business, but getting paid from your home county you would need a B-1 visa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
Thanks for the information. To me it sounds like the problem they had was how often you were traveling to mexico. They were specfically targeting you. For a photographer who only goes once a year, it doesn't sound like they would have the same problem. Also were you photographing weddings and getting paid in mexico? From what I've read, that would make a difference. Also, without a lot of money & big lawyer I don't think someone could get an FM3. I'm just wondering if there is something easy to obtain (& cheaper) like a United states B-1? That is what a photographer from Mexico would need to shoot a wedding in the US. A US B-1 also sounds more relevant for a traveling photographer than an FM-3.
I think you may be right Morgan!
thank-you for saying in more clear terms what i have been attempting to say! I don't think an FM3 is the required document for someone who comes in to shoot 1 wedding stays for a few days and leave.
I'm starting to get the feeling that nothing really is necessary for these type of situations. Although I'm still waiting to hear back from the Mexican Consulate...and the WC!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is my take for what it's worth! I was under the impression that Nationals of certain countries (including Canada and the US) can visit Mexico for up to three months without a visa but will need to be granted a work visa or permit to take up employment. If you are bringing a photog for a one time deal by law they are not "taking up employment" in Mexico. In my opinion, the problem arises when you have someone who goes down frequently to make a living on mexico soil - I can see how this would be considered to be taking up employment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors



    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • we ended up using Facebook messenger when we were in Mexico - the hotel had free wifi and at least 1 person from each family/couple had FB on their phone already - it was pretty easy to communicate among guests "hey, we're heading to the beach bbq for lunch." or "everyone is hanging at the small pool today".  a plus was that some people tried to get a hold of me via FB on the day of the wedding and I was totally not checking my phone - they were asking if the wedding was outside given the rain forecast, thankful my mom, MOH and a few other friends were on the group and could respond for me :) 
    • Are you looking for a guide where you’ll find many tips and steps to follow to make your wedding a success? We design a special for you, where you will find: Photography Tips To-Do List Check list How to choose the best dress? Memories and invitations And much more! Download it now for free from: http://emweddings.com/WeddingGuide/index.html     Don’t stress. Enjoy every moment, tomorrow will be your best memories. See you soon!
    • Another option is to find an app that allows for group talk. This Wedding Party App looks pretty neat. https://apracticalwedding.com/wedding-party-app/ 
    • Hi Everyone, So, I was cleaning out my closet and realized that I never sold off my extra wedding OOT bag stuff from our wonderful DW.   46 Daily Spanish for Dummies 30 Pool colored OOT fabric bags - approximately 13in x 13in. They lay flat.  I used them for our wedding and they were perfect for everything we needed to fit in each bag. There’s a slight shade variation in the group; I’m guessing some were cut from a different bolt of fabric.  They are also a little wrinkled from storage and will probably be wrinkled from shipping. I have three additional ones, but they somehow got something on them (likely toddler related). If needed, I can try to wash it out and send those as well. 
    • I’m getting married in six months to my foreign girlfriend. I was advised by a friend that one of the things I need to do before saying I do is to get a prenuptial agreement. Basically it’s supposed to protect my assets and properties in case my relationship with my future wife goes down the drain. I don’t know though if this is an acceptable practice when marrying Kiev ladies. I don’t want to do it if it would be insulting on her end. I need advice on this. Please help me.
  • Topics

×