Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

New Mexican Foreign Worker's Policy??? what?

Recommended Posts

I am getting married at EDR next month, and I was just sent the email below.



"The Mexican Government has implemented a new policy for foreigners

working here in Mexico.

If your photographer is not a Mexican Citizen, and she's receiving payment

for her services, she must have a Mexican Government permission to work in

this Country. If they are professional photographers (With professional

equipment, lenses, tripod's etc)

Karisma is charging a 500 usd fee to allow this services at the Hotel.

Please let me know the name of your photographer. In case you are brining

someone from Canada /US, if your photographer is a Mexican Citizen, we will

request for him / her to show the Hotel their working documents (in order to

declare taxes)

I apologize for the inconviences this may cause you, unfortunately this are

new Hotel / Mexican Government policies, the hotel has been sanctioned for

permitting professional foreigner photograhers working at the Hotel, with no

working permission from the Government."


Has anyone heard about this?

I am not paying the infamous $500 photographer fee that Karisma charges for outside photographers. I got around it because I booked before this really became a policy and also because my photographers are staying for a week.

So my first inclination was that this is a way that karisma is trying to get me to pay it anyway. thoughts??

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have NO idea! I've sent an email off to the WC asking for more information - but thought I would be proactive to see if anyone has even heard of this as well.

From the email, it sounds like Karisma has already had their hands slapped for it - so it can't be that new of a government policy. So I am not impressed that they are springing this on us 1 month before the wedding.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems strange to me. I am bringing in an outside photographer and the resort's (Iberostar Lindo) charge is $300 since we are not hiring their photographer. They never asked me who my photographer was but I don't think it would be an issue anyway since she is from Mexico.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by MrsV-to-be View Post
Yes they did. and it's the Hotel that is asking for the $500 for some reason!

Wow, so is El Dorado part of Karisma?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they're blowing smoke up your butt because it's only a month before the wedding. I'd probably demand some type of "official" information. An email from a resort that has become well-known for their stance about photographers, is a little suspicious to me. Especially since it's geared toward photography--- not other vendors who could be brought in from out of the country (like videographers, or ministers, etc...); their email specifially referenced photographers and nothing else.


I would also call the US Embassy in Mexico to confirm/deny this information before responding to the email. But, I know your Canadian, so I don't have any familiarity with Canadian resources that could provide you with more information about this.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, the way this sounds---- it seems as if Canadian residents entering Mexico provide "proof" they are entering Mexico without the intent of long-term employment, and that's about it.


Temporary Entry into the United States and Mexico - The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)


I tried going to the Canadian Embassy site listed, but get an error (something between the two sites isn't communicating properly).

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Best Destination Wedding Sponsors

    Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter
  • Posts

    • Very thought provoking article it really helped me set up my strategies regarding. READ MORE : Login to Hotmail, Outlook using a Windows or Mac web browser Launch your web browser and login: Firstly, you need to launch your Windows or Mac web browser. Once you have successfully done so, go to the Hotmail sign in page:  http://hotmailaccount1811.blogspot.com Enter your email address and password: Once you have reached the Outlook sign-in page, you need to enter your Hotmail email address followed by your password then click Next. Congratulations, you have signed in: On the next page, select Sign In. Feel free to explore the services that are available to 
    • OMG these are incredible! Seriously blown away by the thoughtful detail you have put into every aspect of your gifts, your guests are going to be amazed! Props to you for adding so many personal touches and putting in so much time to make these gifts amazing!
    • These bags are amazing!! You are so organized and detailed, I am so impressed! I LOVE the Vistaprint stuff you ordered, the logo is so cute, I love your personalization!
    • I love etsy!! It's a great place to find personalized gifts without such a hefty price tag. I was thinking of getting my bridesmaids personalized necklaces with their names on them. I found these ones that are affordable and you can pick the chain length and different fonts, so you can really make them your own and pick what you know each bridesmaid will want. https://www.etsy.com/listing/595334072/personalized-name-necklace-stainless?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=personalized necklace&ref=sc_gallery-3-9&plkey=a8662525c53ec285c1b46b0f308162d0591edff8:595334072
    • Hi everyone, I am so happy that I am getting married to the love of my life. He proposed me and we are getting married within in a couple of months. And I have started preparations for my big day. I am super excited about a lot of things and also worried about many things.I have some inhibitions about my face and skin. Since I am a working woman, I have never got much time for personal care. This is the right time for it now. I need  proper medical grade skin care. Want to improve my skin tone and texture  I read some details about it here, https://www.mcleanclinic.com/nonsurgical-procedures/non-surgical/skin-care/, and found it really helpful. Can anyone of you suggest me some more tips? Like what I can do at home to have a glow on my face?  Thanks in advance.
  • Topics