Sign in to follow this  
MrsV-to-be

New Mexican Foreign Worker's Policy??? what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheaS View Post
If this is government related, wouldn't this apply to all resorts in Mexico?

This makes me think it is just a way for the resort to scare you into paying their fees. I honestly think I would gone on if I hadn't received this email from her.
I think it has a lot to do with the resort just trying to get their $500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
I agree!!

On another note- what is a "RFC" that the resort has asked that the local photographers to provide? Is this something that just the local vendors have to provide?

Yes - if this is actually a Mexican Gov't policy - it will apply to all resorts.
I did send an email back to Valeria asking:
what exactly this $500 is for and why I need to pay it to EDR
What exactly this new policy entails
and exactly what I need to do to make sure I or my photographers won't be hassaled down there.

I will post her response when I get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic Dragomire View Post
Im just a friend that has a couple of cameras.. I travel light (small bag) and use camera bodies that are small and they "look" like the same ones other people in your party will have.. no problems yet...
Yes - once I find out exactly this policy entails - I may consider taking this approach!! though I don't know what exactly my photographers are bringing - so I don't know if we can get away with this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsV-to-be View Post
I agree!!

On another note- what is a "RFC" that the resort has asked that the local photographers to provide? Is this something that just the local vendors have to provide?

Yes - if this is actually a Mexican Gov't policy - it will apply to all resorts.
and exactly what I need to do to make sure I or my photographers won't be hassaled down there.

Thank you!!! My TA is also having a meeting w/ them this or next week - we'll see if she is able to get any answers, also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan View Post
But the resort already is getting the $500 from me.....why even bring this regulation thing up, as well? I'm so confused.......smile124.gif

Quote:
I agree!!

An RFC is an alpha numerical code given to all Mexican businesses in order for them to pay taxes. I have one, as well as an FM3 (residence and work permit) so I don't have any issues with working here (Cabo).

To further explain the whole thing about whether or not the government requires a work visa, the answer is ,yes, the Mexican government does require this BUT every state chooses to enforce it in a different way. This is a topic that has been touched on several times here and in other forums in regards to photographers, ministers, etc... I know it may seem farfetched but it is real. Perhaps other vendors can comment - Jean Marcus (had similar issues with Canada), HellandPhotography (works in Cabo and knows this first hand).

Immigration officers can request proper documentation at any time and even during an event and while I have never had issues with American or Canadian vendors providing a service in Cabo, it doesn't mean that it will never happen.

I'm sorry I can't offer comments about the $500 fee.. we all know resorts will charge whatever they want sometimes without reason!

Be proactive and do your research.. hope this helps!

I'm so annoyed!

This is the response I received from Valeria at EDR:

"This lines are clearer, they have been posted at the Karisma website:

'Outside photographers and videographers are not allowed on property unless

pre-approved by the hotel in advance. The hotels reserve the right to deny

access to the property to any unauthorized photographer or videographer.

Please contact your wedding coordinator for more information on approved

vendors. Outside photographers and videographer approved by the hotel will

incur a $500 photo fee and a 3 night minimum stay at the hotel.

El Dorado Spa Resorts & Hotels and Azul Hotels, by Karisma abide by all

Mexican governing laws which require foreign workers to obtain proper

licensing and work certificates while in Mexico doing work for themselves or

on behalf of others. We reserve the right to request proof of such license

and/or work certificate.'

So your photographer must be booked for a minimum of 3 nights at the Hotel,

and there is a 500 usd fee for them to access to the hotel and take

professional photos of your wedding. This 500 usd fee + 3 nights stay

applies to all outsider photographers.

Thanks again, and I apologize for the inconveniences"

We have already worked out that I do NOT have to pay the $500 - as I was told prior to booking with them a year ago that outside vendors only need to stay 3 nights. I asked them to honor this agreement and Valeria agreed.

But beyond that (the $500 fee) I'm still confused as to what exactly a foreigner who will only be there to do 1 day of work requires for governmental purposes.

I have placed a call into the Mexican Consulate, but haven't received a response yet. I can't find any info on the Mexican website. and as you can see - my WC is not exactly forthcoming!!

Further - I'm not even convinced that we need to have any documentation - since my photographers are not being paid for their services (based on the deal that we have!) so technically - they are like having friends take photographs - but only with really nice cameras!

ugh - sorry for the vent - I'm just super frustrated I have to deal with this 1 month before going...like there isn't enough already going on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllureEventDesign View Post
This is a topic that has been touched on several times here and in other forums in regards to photographers, ministers, etc... I know it may seem farfetched but it is real. Perhaps other vendors can comment - Jean Marcus (had similar issues with Canada), HellandPhotography (works in Cabo and knows this first hand).

Immigration officers can request proper documentation at any time and even during an event and while I have never had issues with American or Canadian vendors providing a service in Cabo, it doesn't mean that it will never happen.
thanks for your info!

Sorry - I did a search but I did not find any info on this. If you could direct me to the thread, I would love to read it!

As I understand, a foreigner who regularly works in Mexico has a tax number. but what about a foreigner who just comes in for 1 days work? Do you happen to know what they may have to do for that?

I am so sorry.. -- this is so frustrating- and I think that link they posted on the Karisma website is new- I know it wasn't there a month or so ago.... Please keep us updated!

Quote:
I'm so annoyed!
This is the response I received from Valeria at EDR:

"This lines are clearer, they have been posted at the Karisma website:

So your photographer must be booked for a minimum of 3 nights at the Hotel,
and there is a 500 usd fee for them to access to the hotel and take
professional photos of your wedding. This 500 usd fee + 3 nights stay
applies to all outsider photographers.
Whoa.......wait a second, now they're asking for $500 AND a 3 nights stay?!??!?! Come on!!!! How much more can they possibly get us to pay?!?!?! I think I'm about as fired up as you are! This is total insanity!