Photo

China Warning!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 sunnydaes

sunnydaes
  • 684 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:27 AM

I guess i could have posted this in the Registry thread, but its more of a VENT, than anything. I just wanted to forwarn everyone, incase you didn't know that a lot of China (the kind that most people feel they have to order for thier wedding) is made with Animal bones - animal bone ash to be exact and called "Bone China." Which is gross, and apparently the most expensive and saught after. they make several different kinds now, porcelain, earthware and stoneware, which dont have animal bones in it. think twice before ordering bone china.

#2 Ana

Ana

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 8,047 posts
    • Wedding Date:April 1, 2009
    • Wedding Location:Dreams Cabo
    • LocationToronto

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:42 AM

That's horrible!!! I never even knew that, thanks for sharing though, although it makes me super sad to think about it ugh, I feel sick thinking about that, and why and how anyone ever though to invent something so disgusting.

#3 sunnydaes

sunnydaes
    • 684 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:54 PM

I know. its just gross.

#4 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
      • 18,759 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

Thanks for sharing. I think it's really important to spread the word about stuff like that so consumers can avoid it if they don't approve. I will definitly never own bone china in my life now that I know what it is.

#5 Martha

Martha
        • VIP Member
        • 3,906 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:50 PM

That's sad....I am not registering for china...I never used the china from my first wedding.

#6 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
          • 26,161 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:31 AM

I don't know what kind of material my china is made out of but it is still boxed and in a closet! I guess whatever Vera Wang uses is what I have.

Out of curiousity, what type of animal's bones are used for bone china?

Also, are these animals raised and killed for the sole purpose of making china with the rest going to waste, or animals killed for other reasons and the bones are salvaged to make china?

#7 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 18,759 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 08:51 AM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by starchild
              I don't know what kind of material my china is made out of but it is still boxed and in a closet! I guess whatever Vera Wang uses is what I have.

Out of curiousity, what type of animal's bones are used for bone china?

Also, are these animals raised and killed for the sole purpose of making china with the rest going to waste, or animals killed for other reasons and the bones are salvaged to make china?
              Its from animals were slaughtered for food so not as bad as I orignially thought. I thought it was like ivory where the animal is just killed for the one thing. Still, it sounds gross to me.

#8 sunnydaes

sunnydaes
              • 684 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:10 PM

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Morgan
                Its from animals were slaughtered for food so not as bad as I orignially thought. I thought it was like ivory where the animal is just killed for the one thing. Still, it sounds gross to me.
                yes, its the left over. sorry i'm vegan, so any animal by-product is gross. I just don't understand why they have to make that china the "best" and the one that everyone feels that should invest in. There are soooo many alternatives. Also we live in the 21st century, do we really need to use bone ash in plates?

read this:"You have probably noticed cups and plates often carry the label “Bone China”.
                Does it really mean they are made of bones ?

Bone China is a product of a technique perfected in England to add bone ash of animals to the clay, resulting in delicate looking but very strong china. Sometimes, it does not carry the label “bone china” but it can be easily recognized as it has more transluency and whiteness than normal porcelain.

How it’s made

Calcined bone ash makes up about 50% by weight of the final body recipe. It is produced from animal bone, which is first processed to remove any
                adhering meat which is generally sold as pet food. The bone is then treated to remove glue, which is processed and upgraded for use in normal applications where glue is used, and also for the sizing of expensive paper.
                The raw bone which is left after the meat and glue have been extracted is then heated to about 1000 C at which temperature any residual organic material is burned off and the structure of the bone is changed to form suitable for the manufacture of bone china.
                It is then finally ground with water before being added to clay."

#9 JaimeLynne

JaimeLynne
                • VIP Member
                • 4,791 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:15 PM

Yuck. We don't plan on ordering china, but thanks for the heads up.

~ Jaime & Martin ~
                  "Rain or Swine! 2-0-0-9"

We had 24 people attend our wedding in Las Caletas, Mexico on May 24th, 2009!

We all stayed at The Marriott in P.V., and Honeymooned at The Royal Plantation in Ochos Rios, Jamaica!

#10 amyh

amyh

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 3,754 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm not a fan of china anyhow, but its great to know a little background.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users