Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JUSTUSTWO

Question about Garment Bag that came with Dress...Is 1 enough?

Recommended Posts

I picked up my dress last night & ofcourse it came nicely stuffed, covered in plastic, inside of a lightweight, white garment bag. For some reason, I feel like I need to put it inside of another heavier garment bag, like the cloth ones, just as a precaution.

For those of you have already traveled with your dress, did you use 1 bag or 2?

Also, how did you actually carry it? Did you fold it in half or did you just carry it as is? I want to make it as easy as possible to manage since we'll have carry on luggage to deal with as well.

 

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for the feedback!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren c. View Post
mine was covered in plastic and then in one thing white garment bag. it was fine, but i carried it on. are you carrying it or checking it?
I'm carrying it on. Its just so darn big! LOL..I mean, not big, but you know what I mean, long, so much to deal with. I guess the fact that its all stuffed makes it harder to manage. I totally underestimated how it would be when I picked it up. When you brought it on with you, were you able to hang it up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for the first flight, it was put in the first class closet (we flew first, tho, and i'm not sure if these flight attendants would have done it for me if we were flying coach). for the connecting flight, the coat closet was only about 3 ft tall, so i laid it in the overhead compartment. it was a little squished, but when we got there, my dress was pressed anyway so it didn't matter.

my dress wasn't heavy at all but it was bulky and a pain to carry...luckily we found a spot to sit, and i draped it over both carry-ons and it was fine.

on the way home, it was wet, sandy, and stuffed in a garbage bagwink.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren c. View Post
for the first flight, it was put in the first class closet (we flew first, tho, and i'm not sure if these flight attendants would have done it for me if we were flying coach). for the connecting flight, the coat closet was only about 3 ft tall, so i laid it in the overhead compartment. it was a little squished, but when we got there, my dress was pressed anyway so it didn't matter.
my dress wasn't heavy at all but it was bulky and a pain to carry...luckily we found a spot to sit, and i draped it over both carry-ons and it was fine.
on the way home, it was wet, sandy, and stuffed in a garbage bagwink.gif
Mine isn't heavy either, but like you said, bulky & a pain to carry. I only had to carry it outta the store & to the car and found it annoying so I can only imagine how its gonna feel at the airportsmile27.gif.
Wow, wet, sandy & in a garbage bag!!! That woulda been 1 nice picture!
Thanks for the advice!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I carried mine on and it was in the normal white plastic garment bag. I purchased another of the same bag for I think $10 or $15 from the bridal salon and double bagged it for my own peace of mind. I carried it on and it did not fit in the overhead compartment, so after a few tears and some pleading, the pilot offered to put it in the cockpit with him and they hung it there. Our plane was super small, so there was no way it would fit in the overhead bin. On the second plane, it would have fit just fine in the bin, but they offered again for the cockpit after I asked and everything was fine:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I asked for a second bag from the bridal salon and just double bagged it. It did just fine. We carried it - well DH carried it - over his arm. It went folded in half in the overhead cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyandbrian View Post
I carried mine on and it was in the normal white plastic garment bag. I purchased another of the same bag for I think $10 or $15 from the bridal salon and double bagged it for my own peace of mind. I carried it on and it did not fit in the overhead compartment, so after a few tears and some pleading, the pilot offered to put it in the cockpit with him and they hung it there. Our plane was super small, so there was no way it would fit in the overhead bin. On the second plane, it would have fit just fine in the bin, but they offered again for the cockpit after I asked and everything was fine:)
So I may have to shed a few tears huh? Thats fine with me!msncry.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
I asked for a second bag from the bridal salon and just double bagged it. It did just fine. We carried it - well DH carried it - over his arm. It went folded in half in the overhead cabin.
I think I will double it, just for my own sanity. And I already know that FI is gonna have the pleasure of carrying it. I'm not going to be able to manage. I just hope he carries it "neatly"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALA View Post
I just bought a white flat sheet and wrapped it around my dress inside the bag.
Ohhh....good idea!

Thanks again ladies. I feel much better now knowing that I'm not crazy thinking that I should take some extra precaution. The bag they gave me just feels too flimsy & lord knows I don't need any accidents to happen to it while in transit. Talk about bridezilla!!!! I think you'd all hear about me on the news!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was listening to a podcast this morning about garment bags and storing wedding dresses, and they said not to store your dress in any plastic bag b/c it'll turn your dress yellow.

 

But that's for long-term storage, not the short time before the ceremony (phew!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×