Sign in to follow this  
niels408

What do you think of drive from Cancun to Tulum???

I think it's about an hour. We were going to do this bus trip to Cancun one night (never did) but the people at the hotel said it was about an hour away. Im not sure if its b/c we had a bus and had to stop to pick up people or not. Your TA should be able to help you with that...

we considered this as well and both places will be amazing but we went with cancun as we thought of the drive there and the drive back as a whole and felt like it would be a fair amount of time to travel the last day we were there on our site visit we got up at 6 hung out by the pool ate and felt like we got a whlole extra day out of our last day cause even though we had to leave at 1130 to get to airport it was only a 20 min ride. either way it will be beautiful

Most of guests arrived around 4 PM in the Cancun airport, after renting a car they left the airport between 5-6 PM. I had them spend the night in Playa and then finish the drive in the morning. The other alternative if you have 6-8 people arriving at close to the same time is to hire a private shuttle. No one will mind the drive when they are all together.

We stayed at the Akumal Beach Resort for my sister's wedding. We had about 40-50 people in our group, so with the bus to your group, you don't have to make all the stops at the resorts along the way. The extra stops is what adds time to the trip. Most people didn't find the trip long at all, but it definitely does take away a few hours of beach time that you could have had at a closer resort.

If you do choose to stay at the Tulum location, make sure that your guests don't go get completely drunk the last night they're at the resort. The bus ride is pretty bumpy and speaking from personal experience, isn't fun when you're hung over. We had a few very sick people on the bus on the way back. Too much fun! :) Longest bus ride of my life! (on the way back.)

Is there any other way to get to Tulum? Now that quite a bit of time has passed since the last response, I'm just curious to new options. Is there an airport nearby (besides cancun)? How much does a private transfer cost? This sounds like the quickest way to get there. Please help!! Thanks so much!