Photo

Wedding Cake assignment

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 TammyB

TammyB
  • 10,630 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:30 PM

Ok I'm enlisting you guys to please help me with my wedding cake. I hired Deena from Sweet dreams to do our wedding cake. we are doing individual cakes for each guest, one tier, about 5 inches round and 3 inches high. Here's my problem when we did our cake tasting we tasted chocolate with chocolate ganache filling and butter cream icing. Well the butter cream was melting due to the heat and it was too sweet for my taste, so I choose ganache icing as well. That means an all chocolate cake. Well now I'm confused as to how to decorate each cake to make them look like wedding cakes. I originally was thinking of white seashells (a mixture of 3 shells) on each cake and the cake would sit on brown sugar that looks like sand and a few pearl like candies on the plate as well (small pearls) Well I'm just not sure how this is going to look. I heard that Fondant icing is great for outdoor weddings because it holds up in the heat, but I haven't tasted it. AND I'm still not totally convinced that I'll like the cake design. So I was hoping for your impute and maybe some pictures with ideas that can help me. I wanted to stay away from flowers on top of the cakes because, well the cakes are already going to cost allot and as you all know flowers are freaking expensive in Cabo.. So please, please help me come up with some ideas.

#2 TammyB

TammyB
    • 10,630 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:46 PM

Come on, were are my creative girls?

OK so here is an idea I came up with. I was thinking doing half of the cakes with buttercream icing and the other half with either fondent or ganache. For the cake topper on each cake I was thinking maybe a small picture frame place holder so the cakes would be incorporated into a place setting? maybe add a seashell or something to the top of the cake as well..

What do you think of this frame?

Place Card Frame - Pewter Castle: *

#3 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
      • 11,659 posts
      • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:51 PM

tammy, can deena send you any pics? maybe not of the exact mini-cakes but of a chocolate and choclate cake and a cake with decorations like you mentioned? i am trying to picture it and i am having a hard time.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
      Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
      Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
      Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
      sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
      Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#4 TammyB

TammyB
      • 10,630 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:56 PM

Hmm I'll have to ask her. I know she has been having computer problems and so it's been hard to get ahold of her.. I'll have to see. OR I can see if one of my graphic designer friends can work their magic and see if they can come up with something.

#5 Jackie

Jackie
        • 2,290 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:28 PM

I'm with Tammy host, I cant really picture it... We need pictures please.

But, the little photo idea, and incorporating the cake into the place setting sounds like a terrific idea. One thing though, Pewter is one of the heavier metals. Maybe look into something lighter.
          My Dreams Cabo Wedding Review
          http://bestdestinati...om/forum/t22576

#6 TammyB

TammyB
          • 10,630 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 04:48 PM

OK girls, here is a very sad attempt to create the look I'm going for. Now as you can tell I'm not good at this sort of thing. :-) This is very "raw", I was thinking about adding a candy shell to the top of the cake too (small one) and the cake it's self would sit on brown suger that looks like sand. Again these are individual cakes.. PLEASE be honest about if you like them..

Click the image to open in full size.

#7 Jackie

Jackie
            • 2,290 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:01 PM

OK I am giving you my most honest opinion.

I really like the idea and I think it will look much better when sitting on brown sugar/sand. I also like the idea of a small starfish...very cute.

Things I would personally change. I'm not diggin the blue frame with the chocolate frosting. I'm not sure why but those colors arent meshing well to me. And the one other thing I would do is to maybe make the place card/photo a tiny bit smaller. It kinda looks like its overpowering the cake right now.

As always this is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt, or brown sugar :)

#8 Jackie

Jackie
              • 2,290 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:02 PM

The little hint of yellow in the starfish and the ivory of the starfish would probably be the color scheme I would look for in the place care holding.

#9 TammyB

TammyB
                • 10,630 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:11 PM

Actually Jackie they have the frame if Ivory and blue, I like the Ivory better I just used the wrong photo and it was too much work to change it.. lol Also the size of the frame is bigger then what it will actually be. It's a 2 x 3 frame, (just the right size for the place card) And the paper inside the frame I would probably do a DIY think to use our colors or something..

#10 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                  • 24,768 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 05:12 PM

I am going to take a stab at this - I promise! But darn work keeps getting in the way. In the meantime, I did find these in the process of my chocolate cake photo hunt. They're kind of cute ... they're chocolate and white chocolate cake toppers, and they have some beach themes.

Hilton Head Island Homemade Chocolate Fudge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users