31 days, my guests and I are exactly 1 month away from boarding a plane to celebrate our wedding week. In the lead up to the wedding/trip, I thought it would be fun to do a countdown on our wedding website of tips, tricks and advice surrounding travel to Mexico, specifically the Cancun and Riviera Maya area. We've never been to that side of Mexico so I thought I would reach out to my bride and bride-to-be friends on the forum. If you could help me come up with tips, tricks and advice for our trip, I would really appreciate it. This can be anything from tips at the airport (e.g. stay away from timeshares), must-see places (e.g. touristy areas, restaurants, beaches, etc) and if anyone has any tips for Moon Palace (our wedding resort) that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance :wub:

WOw - how exciting to be so close to the BIG Day - fun!!! Good thing the holiday season is here too - for a sweet distraction and to help pass the time to departure :)

In case you haven't already seen this, here's a link to some Mexico travel tips and articles to share with your guests. Here's a link to some specific Mayan Riviera travel tips too....for added info.

Hope you have the most amazing holiday season and all the best with your Special Celebration - cheers!!! team MTM :)

...this greeting from our Timeline Photos Album:

10887520_10152928701404487_3240177822190

Edited by Moments That Matter
  • Like 2

So exciting!! The countdown is on for us too!!

We have many people going with us that have never even been to Mexico so I've also been thinking about a list so far.

Tips for newbies?

-Bring a bubba or travel mug

-Get pesos early at home

-Pack lots of extra sunscreen, it's so pricey if you run out!

- for resort pool/ocean it is fun to bring a cheap floaty to relax

-tell your guests to meet your group outside by bus, at airport after security go straight outside and don't get stopped by timeshare sharks or cab people.

If I think of more I'll add , these just came to mind right away from things I wish I knew my first trip.

Kim

• Like 2

I would also add its not necessary to change US dollars to pesos.  In mexico we use both, and you get a super great exchange right now.  make sure you have smaller bills for tipping.

Bride to be tip:

make sure you wear strapless bikini tops ,especially if your dress is strapless you just dont want to have lines showing on your wedding pictures.

be in the sun in moderation, you can cook yourself after the wedding day ;) you just dont want to look burned on your wedding pictures.

make sure you pre order your lunch the day before , so it arrives an a specific time you want make sure you eat while getting ready. (ask your coordinator about this)

• Like 4

@@dreamweddings thank you so much for the tips and advice! Yonatan from Styling Trio also told me to make sure I keep the alcohol drinking down, especially before the wedding as it dries the skin.

One question I had is regarding tipping. Is there a preference when it comes to currency used for tipping vendors, especially our photographer and WC. Our Canadian dollar is pretty bad right now and we lose a lot if exchanging to US dollars. Would it be ok to tip in Mexican pesos or just stick to US?

• Like 2

-Know how much Pesos are if you use them hahaha. I totally tipped a guy at the airport way more than I should've. 

-Use PESOS. lol (we saved so much money with tipping in pesos, buying things in pesos)

Careful of jellyfish!!! If you guys are going to be swimming in the ocean. I don't understand what it is with Mexico this year because every time that i've gone the water has been pretty calm, but this year the waves were massive and there was a huge undertow. We went in a few times and I think because the current is much stronger, it's pulling the jellyfish into the shore line. A lot of us got small jellyfish stings (including me).

• Like 1

Hahaha @ for that reason before we went we said 10 to 1 for easy math :)

Shawn's aunt was just in Cuba and a huge jellyfish issue there too.

My only caution to strapless is that it really depends the style of your strapless and the style of your dress. Just use a lot of sunscreen. You'll be fine either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2