532 replies to this topic

#71 yycbride2016

yycbride2016
  • 495 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 23, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis, Riviera Maya

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:25 AM

@vancouverpetunia

I feel your pain! I had no intention of bringing anything but wedding favors for everyone until I found this forum. It's very dangerous! But I'm glad I'm bringing a few things to add a personal touch and to make the day how I envision it. Plus a lot of this stuff I can keep and use around the house afterwards. The lanters I figure will be cute in the summertime on the deck and the vases go perfectly in our house (grey walls with accent colors in each room). As for things like starfish and seashells, I will probably just try to sell afterwards so it's still not a huge expense with you think of the re-useable/re-sellable value!

As for bridesmaids dresses I've been struggling quite a bit to find something that is affordable, cute, and the right color. My 3 bridesmaids are all different sizes so that is also a struggle. I've ordered a convertible dress on Etsy for myself to test out if the color and style is what I want. because it's pretty much a one size fits most kind of style 2 of my bridesmaids can try this one on to see how they like it. The other bridesmaid needs to order the larger size it comes in and she also doesn't live in the same city as me.

This is the dress:

https://www.etsy.com...arch_query=teal

I will let you know how it is when I get it and post pictures. It hasn't shipped yet but I'm hoping by the end of the month I will have it. One dress came to $90 but when I order the bridesmaids dresses, it would only come to $70 each because I can do combined shipping then.

UPDATE:

I just got a message from the seller and She said I should recieve the dress before the 15th! Soooo fast!

Edited by yycbride2016, 09 June 2015 - 05:42 AM.

~*~YYCBRIDE2016~*~

My planning thread 

event.png

#72 vancouverpetunia

vancouverpetunia
  • 670 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 7, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Now Sapphire, Riviera Maya, Mexico
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:47 PM

@yycbride2016 Now I remember the BM dress! I'm anxiously awaiting your feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Erin

My planning thread: http://www.bestdesti...2016/?p=1893268

My Now Sapphire review: http://www.bestdesti...riviera-cancun/

#73 yycbride2016

yycbride2016
  • 495 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 06:45 AM

Wedding party:

I realized last night when I was going through some of my planning photos on my phone that I hadn’t shown everyone how we asked our wedding party if they wanted to be in the wedding party. For the girls:

I had 2 different options to go with that I designed but I ended up going with this one:

bridesmaid

For my MOH I made her a separate one that said will you be my maid of honor (it’s my sister and I already knew she was going to be but I wanted her to get a card too).

For the guys I had so many different choices. Kyle ended up picking his favorite out of 3 different options. He didn’t bother to give one to his brother (Best man) but the other 2 groomsmen got a card each and they loved it and were super excited about being in the wedding.

Groomsmen

On the note of wedding party… I don’t know if I’m being a bridezilla or what but I’m getting so frustrated with my one bridesmaid. She got the job she was waiting to hear on and I thought that would give her financial peace of mind in terms of booking into our group rate. I told her that she only needs to pay $150 until December. I figured she would have $150. But she keeps saying now that because she isn’t working and her boyfriend’s brother got laid off so her boyfriend is covering all the bills, and that makes money tight. She said but we will book in the fall, even if it’s more money. I don’t get it. Who wants to wait to pay MORE money? The other kicker is that my fiancé and I told her that with our group rate we are given the deal of book 15 people and the 16th is free in the form of credit. I told her that we would take some of that money (up to $500) and give it to her for her trip. This is a no brainer to me if she really wanted to be in my wedding. Once I’m ready to order the 3 bridesmaids dresses she really needs to tell me if she is 100% in or not. I’m getting frustrated. Thoughts??

~*~YYCBRIDE2016~*~

My planning thread 

event.png

#74 acw271011

acw271011
  • Moderators
  • 3,128 posts
  • Wedding Date:October 20, 2011
  • Wedding Location:We tied the knot in Runaway Bay, Jamaica and renewed our vows in Mexico on our 4th Anniversary
  • LocationToronto Area

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:25 AM

@yycbride2016  The lanterns seem to be a staple on this site!! lol I found out about them from @Meandhim so I went to Ikea and got them, and now I see that so many others have the same great idea!! I actually just saw them last weekend somewhere, can't remember where, in turquoise so I think I'm going to go back and get what I need since it's one of the colours I'm using and just keep the white to use out on the deck table set instead. I completely love the turquoise!

As to the bridesmaid issue, take your pick of threads to read through here. it's a common problem for sure. You wouldn't think that someone would want to spend more money than a great deal being offered, and that a deposit of $150 is no big deal. But none of us really and truly knows what someone else is going through and something that we may think is a no brainer and so easy may be really difficult for someone else in terms of money. I don't believe you'll ever get anyone, including best friends, that are 100% completely honest about money issues. It's something that a lot of people keep very private. If this person is really important to you for your wedding party, try and let her know that as much as you want her there, if it's something that is just too much of a hardship that you completely understand. Between trip expenses and wedding party costs, for some people it's really a lot of money and she just may want to spare your feelings by not telling you that it will be a tough cut for her and her other half.

Good luck!

I said "yes" again to the love of my life at Grand Coral Beach Club, Playa del Carmen, Mexico on our 4th anniversary - October 20, 2015

http://www.bestdestinationwedding.com/topic/78874-acw271011-so-this-is-not-a-planning-thread-but/

event.png

#75 deecol

deecol
  • 787 posts
  • Wedding Date:April 30, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Grand Bahia Principe Coba, Riviera Maya, Mexico
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:38 AM

@yycbride2016  Just finished reading through your thread - love it all!

So funny about how Calgarybride's thread pretty much convinced you on the resort, it did the same for me!  It was one of two choices I narrowed it down to, but in the end went with the resort that was more affordable for both our Canadian and UK guests.

The bridesmaids issue is a tough one, I've heard (and am learning for myself) that you learn a lot about people when you get married. Destination weddings are expensive and not everyone can make it which I of course understand - but it's the correspondence with some people that is frustrating.  I had to chase down one of my cousins for his info - text, call, fb msg, my dad called... You can only do so much, you gave advance notice, gave some options, and even offered a discount!   She may not be able to afford it and feels bad telling you she can't make it, I had a couple of my friends who are in that boat as well and didn't say anything until I straight up asked.

Good luck and can't wait to see the rest of your planning!

event.png

My Planning Thread:

http://www.bestdesti...6/#entry1904529

#76 Wafflesmom

Wafflesmom
  • 948 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 23, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Moon Palace
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:48 PM

I love al of the decor you've picked up!!! You have great taste and everything is perfectly coordinated. You've come up with great deals at Michaels. I won't lie but I had a big urge to go there after reading your post lol. It was a lot of self control that stopped me

As for your bridesmaid issue, I'm sorry to hear one is so reluctant to book. I agree that the $150 deposit seems like it's not that much and your generous offer of reducing her total cost is such a nice gesture. Perhaps a heart to heart with her will need to be done. Maybe you should be direct with her and have her make a decision already. Perhaps she has other reasons and just doesn't want to disappoint you.
My planning thread: http://www.bestdesti...anuary-23-2016/

<p>event.png

#77 yycbride2016

yycbride2016
  • 495 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:43 AM

@acw271011

I saw some of those lanterns at Superstore for a dollar more than IKEA. They don't appear to have the white ones bu they had a mint color. I think my parents have a really large one for out in their back yard. I am thinking of using my lanters twice, once to line the wedding aisle (inside will be starfish and sand), and then again as table centerpieces. They are perfect!

And as for the bridesmaid issue, I think you're right. I think I just need to wait it out until it comes time to order the bridesmaids dresses and then confront her with that tough question. Hopefully it wont ruin our friendship :S

@deecol

Thanks! I love my decor already and want to put it around my house haha. Yeah its a tricky situation us DW brides are in. We want everyone to be able to come, especially our closest friends and family. It's surprising to find out who says they'll come and who actually puts down their deposits. At Christmas a lot of my fiances family said they would come, but only his parents and brother actually paid. Everyone else declined and I feel bad for my fiance. I think he was pretty bummed out to hear that. At least all his groomsmen booked without any issues. Which my bridal party would be easy too haha.

@Wafflesmom

Thanks! I'm excited to see how it will all come together. I put off going to michales for the longest time. All I wanted there was the wedding bubbles, but boy I brought home a lot more than I intended. At least everything was either 50% or 70% off! My fiance definately appreciates that I try and find the best deals to save us money while still getting everything "we".. (I) want haha.

Thanks for the advice on my bridesmaid. I think I need to upfront ask her if she is going to come as well. I'm nervous and I dont want my "backup bridesmaid" to feel offended if I ask her to stand up front with me last minute. As much as I want my original bridesmaids up there with me, I wouldn't be offended if finacially or what ever it might be, she just can't come. I just appreciate when people are upfront and honest with me. The reason I actually picked her was because she is always upfront and honest, and never flackey. Its really strange, so I think something must be going on that she wont share with me (which is totally fine, and I respect that). Hopefully when I confront her and mention only $150 deposit, potentially $500 off her trip, plus i'm paying $20 for her dress (she's plus size and it costs more so i'm covering that cost for her), hopefully all that will entice her and she will just book.

~*~YYCBRIDE2016~*~

My planning thread 

event.png

#78 yycbride2016

yycbride2016
  • 495 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 04:54 PM

Quick update for everyone! The sample bridesmaids dress came in....it's AMAZING!! I will take some pictures tomorrow and post! The color is a little more green than I was thinking but at this point if it matches the tie samples I ordered then I'll be good to go! I highly recommend the convertible dress though!!!

~*~YYCBRIDE2016~*~

My planning thread 

event.png

#79 calgarybride2015

calgarybride2015
  • 4,506 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 12 June 2015 - 05:35 PM

Yay can't wait for pics!!

-Kim

Married on 2015/01/21 at the Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya with 43 guests in attendance   :)

Planning Thread - http://www.bestdesti...s-riviera-maya/

Wedding Pictures http://www.bestdesti...ra-maya/page-36

Wedding Review http://www.bestdesti...31#entry1885600

#80 yycbride2016

yycbride2016
  • 495 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:10 PM

Ok, here is my review on the teal convertible dress on Etsy...

I absolutely love it. It is such a versatile dress and I really do believe that it will suit most body types. It's a little tricky to tie at first but I think I've figured out at least 4 ways to tie it on my own. I think it would be easiest if you have a second person helping.

I got the long maxi dress and I feel like it has a really elegant feel to it. Perhaps the shorter one would give a more beach/ summer feel.

The material is a bit heavy but it feels so soft and silky. It feels like really good quality.

It's a little too long for me so if I wasn't wearing heals I'd probably get the bottom hemmed. (I'm only 5'1" so it would be great for an average height). I'm also quite small and the skirt part had to be held up while I was tying it but really that wasn't an issue at all. But it could really fit a range of sizes and heights so it's amazing for that reason. (Also great if you lose or gain weight, it will pretty much always fit). This also means the bridesmaids wouldn't need to get any alterations done!

Also it comes with a matching bandeau for extra coverage and it would make it easy to wear a strapless bra with it then!

Color: it did appear a little more green then blue unfortunately. I was hoping it would be exactly like the advertised picture but it was slightly more green. Interestingly enough this dress and one from a different seller on etsy are using the exact same material and color as their teal dress. The two sellers are:
Thedaintyard (Singapore seller)
Dresslongbridal (China seller)

The dress from thedaintyard appears quite green and like it has a higher quality to its fabric. However I had previously ordered color samples from them and now I have compared it to the dresslongbridal dress that I got, they are the exact same color and fabric. (Don't judge a dress by its listing picture haha)

On that note I'm going to order a blue, Tiffany blue, and turquoise color sample to see if any of those match my color before making a decision. I love this dress too much to say no to it. I have 3 different tie color samples coming in and I hope I can make a match with one of them.

Here are some pictures of the dress styles (ignore the fact that my hair is a mess and what not):

Attached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434240528.376365.jpg   402.66KB   10 downloadsAttached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434240541.258556.jpg   381.11KB   10 downloadsAttached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434240550.266767.jpg   425.26KB   10 downloadsAttached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434240559.224519.jpg   461KB   10 downloadsAttached File  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434240569.659364.jpg   430.14KB   10 downloads

~*~YYCBRIDE2016~*~

My planning thread 

event.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2016 Brides, Planning Tips, Mexico

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users