43 replies to this topic

#11 kimmyd2

kimmyd2
  • 75 posts
  • Wedding Date:January 19, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Barcelo Maya Tropical
  • LocationWinnipeg, MB, Canada

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:26 PM

I am also thinking of just the symbolic in Mexico and doing the legal part before the trip. Does anyone know if your doing a symbolic ceremony can we decide what we want the person doing the ceremony to say? Or can we even have our own friend/family member do the ceremony? Pretty new to all this so Not sure if this is resort specific as well...

Forever can never be long enough for me, to feel like I've had long enough with you...19/01/2016

#12 kmk2016

kmk2016
  • Moderators
  • 1,468 posts
  • Wedding Date:February 29, 2016
  • Wedding Location:Azul Sensatori- Riviera Maya
  • LocationCalgary Canada

Posted 07 October 2014 - 01:42 PM

I am also thinking of just the symbolic in Mexico and doing the legal part before the trip. Does anyone know if your doing a symbolic ceremony can we decide what we want the person doing the ceremony to say? Or can we even have our own friend/family member do the ceremony? Pretty new to all this so Not sure if this is resort specific as well...

It is my understanding that unlike the legal ceremony that must follow exact wording and is performed in Spanish (with an option for translation), the symbolic ceremony can be written however the couple chooses. Of you don't have your own script they will provide a standard one, but you can be as creative as you want (I'm assuming it can't be a 2 hr ceremony or anything or you will be charged more for the officiants time. But standard 1/2 hr or less can be however you like.

#13 kimmyd2

kimmyd2
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

Oh okay greats thanks for the reply!

Forever can never be long enough for me, to feel like I've had long enough with you...19/01/2016

#14 cometgirl

cometgirl
  • 106 posts
  • Wedding Date:May 21, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Barcelo Riviera Maya

Posted 07 October 2014 - 02:06 PM

We are doing the legal at home after our DW on the day we are doing our AHR (my dad is ordained so he can officiate).  We didn't want to have to get the blood work or have to get our marriage license translated and this way my dad can be father of the bride in Mexico and yet legally marry me at home! Because we are doing symbolic, our resort is letting us use our own officiant for the ceremony. There is no discount to our package for that, but we figured we may as well have someone we know do the ceremony! 

#15 kimmyd2

kimmyd2
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:11 AM

Yes that would be really special to have someone close to you do the ceremony!
Do people generally tell guests that they aren't getting legally married at their destination or just some ? I know this is totally personal preference but I'm totally torn on the subject..

#16 Maggietron

Maggietron
  • 294 posts
  • Wedding Date:November 11, 2015

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:26 AM

@kimmyd2 I'm not mentioning it unless someone specifically asks. I read a comment on here that works really well when people ask if we're going to get married ahead or after - We're getting married in Mexico, but we will register our marriage before (or after). Signing the certificate is just a formality.

#17 TinkerSofi

TinkerSofi
  • 2,217 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 13, 2015
  • Wedding Location:Azul Fives Playa del Carmen
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:34 AM

@kimmyd2 I'm not mentioning it unless someone specifically asks. I read a comment on here that works really well when people ask if we're going to get married ahead or after - We're getting married in Mexico, but we will register our marriage before (or after). Signing the certificate is just a formality.

@kimmyd2 Yeah, we've told people that we're signing the papers here for legal reasons. We had someone ask whether we would do anything here when we get married before we leave (they're not coming to Mexico with us). I told them that we weren't sure yet, although we know it will just be our immediate family and we will probably just have lunch or dinner after but that's it. I think it's still an important date but I really don't need the stress of another event, plus it really takes away from the main thing which is our DW :)

event.png

#18 Moments That Matter

Moments That Matter

Diamond Vendor

• Insiders
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:43 AM

Welcome to our forum community, GingerBride, and Congrats on your upcoming Mexican wedding!!! as you can see from your fellow brides' comments here, there are wedding couples choosing both options  - so it's really up to you, and which one you prefer.

Here's one of those magical wedding "moment that matters" to inspire you further......enjoy :)

392205_10150420303654487_199310352_n.jpg

you can see more from this album here: Barcelo Colonial Resort Wedding

Wishing you all the best with your plans, and happy research! team MTM :)

MTM%20Logo%202016_zps4tzm05my.png

Moments That Matter Photography , Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Canadian Award Winning Photojournalist serving the Riviera Maya

Email: contact@momentsthatmatterphotography.com

Why we're Ranked #1 ~ Scoop on what we do:  MTM Reviews

Meet Lincoln & Team MTM: "Meet Lincoln" Video + see his Passion!!!

We Offer: 100% Vendor Fee Discount
                        100% Deposit Guarantee

100% Satisfaction Guarantee

#19 kimmyd2

kimmyd2
    • 75 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:32 AM

That is a really good response to peoples questions I like that.  

#20 PixanPhotography

PixanPhotography
    • Vendor
    • 32 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:49 AM

Dear GingerBride,

Welcome to the community. You have certainly come to the right place to find out information.

Many people have the civil legal part of their wedding in their home country..and then the symbolic romantic part of the ceremony elsewhere.

And couldn't have chosen a more romantic setting...Mayan Riviera,white sands,tourquoise waters,balmy breeze,palm trees and the beautiful language

of Spanish...

Here are some photos to get you imagination flowing..

sml_gallery_277385_17854_35397.jpgsml_gallery_277385_17832_146119.jpgsml_gallery_277385_17835_161949.jpgsml_gallery_277385_17849_65694.jpg

sml_gallery_277385_17771_136761.jpgsml_gallery_277385_17830_193582.jpgsml_gallery_277385_17803_264586.jpgsml_gallery_277385_17792_1945247.jpg

Also as the Mayan Riviera is steeped in Traditions,mistique,spiritual and magic many brides opt to have a

Traditional Symbolic Mayan Ceremony

Let me know if you need anymore information...

Happy Planning

Regards
      Alexis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users