kcole123

Anyone Else Overwhelmed With Cost?

Oh yes. That's why I am keeping decorations to a minimal. The ceremony is going to be set up in the garden gazebo and I chose this because it's surrounded by flowers anyway. I think it looks beautiful just the way it is.

Then my reception is on the La Barcaza wedding boat. Less formal which is what we both like. It's more of a relaxed feel and felt like it would be fun for us and our guests. Their pricing for meals on the boat also comes with a DJ which is what I am happy about. The only décor I am having on the boat is table cloths with simple center pieces and some lighting. The fun autmosphere and little boat adventure was what I was mainly going for.

I feel you. My fiancé refers to our wedding as "the money pit" haha. It seems like we keep paying things but were still so far away from finishing paying everything. The most expensive thing is the trips and the reception. We got lucky that my parents are helping us out with a lot of things but I'm also trying to keep the costs down by asking myself "do I actually need this?" I try to stay away from Pinterest because they just create unrealistic expectations.

Just pick the things you're willing to splurge on. We picked the photography, videography and having the wedding at a terrace for extra $$$. But we decided to make our own invitations to keep costs down and scratch the OOT bags (actually fiancé scratched them out haha).

As for the programs I'm just making a simple brochure of wedding week events to give to each family as they arrive and because we paid extra for the terrace they actually include programs with that. They might not match my colors but I really doubt anyone is going to say "yeah I remember Sofia's wedding, her programs didn't match her colors". How about putting up a sign as people enter the ceremony with the times and locations for different things? (Ceremony, cocktails, reception). I really don't think people need more that that and t will be way cheaper for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PS I found some DIY bridesmaid gifts. They're like a "spa in a box" and you can include beauty products. You can but them in bulk and repackage them in dollar store bottles to make them look extra cute and to cut down the costs. I'll post the link when I get home and find it again. I'm probably going to go that route :). For my parents I'm gifting them a private dinner on the beach. It's also their anniversary the week of our wedding so I planned it all for that day. It was about $50. We still don't know about fiancée's parents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I do agree that pinterest can create unrealistic expectations!  I am on there a lot for work (event planning gla here) and its a nice break from the craziness at work.  Just try to not compare myself or want to be the perfect pinterest gal, cause I am definitely not perfect, nor want to be! 

Okay random question I just thought of as I am reading different forums.  Do we need to get parents a gift?  We are paying for everything ourselves and my mother isn't even in the picture any more...?

Good question. I was debating this too but then thought it would be nice to give them a little something. Nothing too expensive of course because we are paying for my parents to go because they simply can't afford it themselves.

Is your mom still attending your wedding. Maybe give them a little something between your parents and then a little something between your FI's parents.

My FI ruined this for me...haha he is getting his groomsmen watches and paying for these himself and of course he said he wants to get the dad's watches too. So now I am thinking of getting the mothers some sort of bracelet or necklace or something. Nothing too fancy but something they can wear again and not feel overdone. My mom is not someone to even wear makeup. Lipstick is the extent of her makeup collection..lol

I did plan on doing something between my parents and then something between Nathan's parents but that's gone down the tubes now.

But that's a suggestion if you didn't want to spend a whole lot. Get like a personalized picture frame or something so they can put your wedding picture in.

No my mom won't be attending, she is not in contact with our family at all (Drama!) and honestly my dad is sort of on my sh*t list right now, he never even asked to see us after we got engaged.

Anyways we are not having a wedding party, but I love the watch and bracelet idea.  Something simple and classy that she could wear for special occasions or maybe even daily.  

Ya I like the picture idea, maybe we will just do that for when we get back.

Yeah exactly. Well just get the parents something that are going to the wedding to be there for you and your fiancé. You can always give your parents just a frame later with your wedding picture in it if you didn't want to get them something at the wedding seeing how they aren't attending.

• Like 1

Sounds good, thanks!  My dad is saying he will be there.  either way the picture idea is perfect, something special but nothing crazy.

Okay random question I just thought of as I am reading different forums.  Do we need to get parents a gift?  We are paying for everything ourselves and my mother isn't even in the picture any more...?

I didn't think of giving them anything either until i started going through the forums haha. We're getting some free people through our group booking and we're planning on giving two of those to my fiance's family so that they can come. I mean, that is much much more money than what I'm spending on my parents' gift. At the same time I feel bad not giving them anything.

I did personalized handkerchiefs for the parents with a nice message.  My fiance and I also payed for their flights and covered one room night.  I think i'll also cover the mom's hair for the day of but that will be it.  Oh and I'll also give them a nice card. This is the handkerchief vendor. https://www.etsy.com/listing/193809282/personalized-wedding-handkerchief-for?ref=shop_home_active_1

Edited by NJBride2014