#1 rvalenka

rvalenka
  • 353 posts
  • Wedding Date:October 19, 2014
  • Wedding Location:Secrets Maroma Beach
  • LocationLexington, Kentucky, United States

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

Hi Everyone! 

What made you all choose Jamaica? I'm in the process of debating Jamaica vs Mexico. 

Happy planning!!

#2 STemple

STemple
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:40 PM

I chose Jamaica because it is easier to get legally married. No document translations or blood tests required. Also I've been to Jamaica before and loved it. Good luck!

#3 janicemarie29

janicemarie29
    • 24 posts
    • Wedding Date:April 11, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica
    • LocationRunaway Bay, Jamaica

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

yes, the blood tests required in mexico would do it for me!!!!  Yuck! A friend of mine got married in Mexico, and it looked like they brought the gardener in to take their blood!  No thank you!

#4 rvalenka

rvalenka
    • 353 posts
    • Wedding Date:October 19, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Secrets Maroma Beach
    • LocationLexington, Kentucky, United States

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:29 AM

Thank you! It's such a tough decision. Flights seem to be so much cheaper to Mexico and I'm trying to keep my guests budgets in mind. Jamaica is so beautiful though!

#5 janicemarie29

janicemarie29
    • 24 posts
    • Wedding Date:April 11, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Jamaica
    • LocationRunaway Bay, Jamaica

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:40 AM

I've been to Mexico 3 times, twice for weddings.  I was in Jamaica this past March and I love it.  Even the Dominican was so much nicer than Mexico.  You can find a resort anywhere in any type of budget.  I found 5 stars in Mexico were not as nice as the 4.5 star we stayed at in the Dominican. And the resort I stayed at in Jamaica was a 5 star.  And we went to Jamaica for 1300 per person, and Mexico was 1700 and up for where we stayed.

#6 kyjanga

kyjanga
    • 21 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:46 PM

I been too Mexico twice and this will be my fourth time in Jamaica. I feel like it's my second home. There's so much to do off the resort in Jamaica and I didn't feel there was much in Mexico. Jamaica hands down for me

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
      Using Tapatalk

#7 loquaciouspunky

loquaciouspunky
      • 165 posts
      • Wedding Date:May 26, 2014
      • Wedding Location:Jewel-Runaway Bay Jamaica
      • LocationNC

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:29 PM

I chose Jamaica because it is easier to get legally married. No document translations or blood tests required. Also I've been to Jamaica before and loved it. Good luck!

exactly this! we really wanted the dominican republic but Jamaica was so much easier to get married at. Less stress = happier bride

#8 picklz

picklz
      • 8 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

My Fiancee and I were initially looking at Mexico but all of the marriage requirements (Blood test, translation of documents down there, and back, being in the country multiple days before the ceremony, etc) caused us to look at other options.

Jamaica has been high on both of our lists as a place to visit and honeymoon destination - the overall cost wasn't significantly higher, the marriage requirements are far easier to deal with, and English being the language will also make things slightly easier on our guests.

#9 pamelas21

pamelas21
        • 178 posts
        • Wedding Date:November 18, 2014
        • Wedding Location:Royalton White Sands - Montego Bay, Jamacia
        • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:36 AM

There just seemed to be so many requirements to be married legally in Mexico!

It sounded so IRIE ;) to be married in Jamaica so we went for it! PLUS we found a new resort that just opened that we really liked!

Plus everyone's been to Mexico and alot of our guests hadn't been to Jamaica so we thought everyone would love it! And they do!

Be warned though - sometimes I regret it ONLY because Jamaica is so small and there's a MUCH smaller list of vendor selections! Like videography!

I feel like Cancun/Mayan/Cabo have so many options BUT I will say Jamaica does not! It's only an island after all!

Happy Planning Future Brides!

Love, Mrs. Gedney! <3

#10 FutureMrsGlover

FutureMrsGlover
        • 284 posts
        • Wedding Date:October 10, 2015
        • Wedding Location:Jewel Paradise Cove Beach Resort and Spa Runaway Bay Jamaica
        • LocationUnited States

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:48 AM

I agree with all of the previous brides who have chosen Jamaica.  It is a lot easier to be married, no blood tests, no translations etc. 

My girlfriend was married in Mexico last July, she has yet to receive her marriage documents to submit to have her marriage legalized here in the States.  

With Jamaica, if you live in the states (and many other countries), it is automatically legal and you don't have to submit additional documents once you return home. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users