5 replies to this topic

#1 LoriGran

LoriGran
  • 339 posts
  • Wedding Date:July 25, 2014
  • Wedding Location:Rivera Maya
  • LocationMexico

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

Hello All, I am planning a destination wedding for July 2014. My fianc© and I have not decided on a resort yet but know we want to get married in Mexico. HOWEVER, we are a bit concerned about safety. A friend shared with us their nightmare of their bus getting robbed on the way to the resort. When they went back to the airport, police officials said its something that had been happening lately. Has anyone heard of anything like this happening or do I have nothing to worry about. Thank you, -Lori

#2 SweetFire

SweetFire
  • Vendor
  • 330 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

Hola Lori,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations!  We often hear questions regarding the safety issues in Mexico and after living here for over 5 years, I still feel more uneasy when walking around a major "North of the border" city then I do down here.  The Riviera Maya is very safe and well policed.  Click on the following link to read a great article regarding the current situation in Mexico: 

#3 AllieH

AllieH
    • Resort/Area Ambassadors
    • 2,014 posts
    • Wedding Date:November 5, 2012
    • Wedding Location:El Dorado Royale, Riviera Maya MX
    • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

Hi Lori - congrats on your engagement and upcoming marriage. 

I'm not sure which part of Mexico you are thinking about, but my impression is that if you stick to the major tourist areas, you will be fine. Be sure to have transportation to/from the airport/resort prearranged for you & your guests - this should avoid these issues. As with any location, bad things can, and sometimes do happen. I'd treat Mexico like any major US city - pay attention to your surroundings, stay with the group, and be really cautious if you venture off the resort (go with a reputable tour company or through your resort). 

Do your research as you choose a location and a resort, and it should be fine. 

Good luck with all of your planning! 

Originally Posted by Lori Granados 

Hello All,
    I am planning a destination wedding for July 2014. My fianc© and I have not decided on a resort yet but know we want to get married in Mexico. HOWEVER, we are a bit concerned about safety. A friend shared with us their nightmare of their bus getting robbed on the way to the resort. When they went back to the airport, police officials said its something that had been happening lately. Has anyone heard of anything like this happening or do I have nothing to worry about.
    Thank you,
    -Lori

Official El Dorado Royale/El Dorado Casitas Royale Thread <---check here for all info about EDR/EDCR

Wright Travel Agency <--for all your Destination Wedding needs! Contact the experts and reduce your stress. 

El Dorado Royale Brides Thread <---come chat with other EDR brides

AllieH's EDR 11-5-2012 Planning Thread <--because it was so awesome

#4 LoriGran

LoriGran
    • 339 posts
    • Wedding Date:July 25, 2014
    • Wedding Location:Rivera Maya
    • LocationMexico

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:22 PM

Thank you for the advice! I have no worries about traveling to Mexico but some of my family members were concerned! SweetFire, thank you for the articles they were very helpful and those pictures are beautiful. I will just have to start forwarding the articles to some family members haha!

#5 JessiTaylor

JessiTaylor
    • 296 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

ive never heard of people getting robbed on the way to the resort, where was this?! i would stick to official transfers rather than public transportation if youre concerned

i do live in one of the states (nuevo leon) and specifically one of the cities (monterrey) where its not advised people go, and even here its not like we have daily gunfights (and no, i dont live in the posh area). i have no qualms about going to or recommending the riviera maya. 

#6 SweetFire

SweetFire
      • Vendor
      • 330 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

No problem Lori!

For one more resource for reluctant guests, here is a great blog that brings together articles from around the web: *

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users