Photo

Don't always believe the Post office, save on postage!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 imnotarunner

imnotarunner
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

Just wanted to warn everyone the discrepancies that happen between different Post Office branches and wanted you ladies to be aware and to save money

I went to a local post office to get an idea how much postage would be for my invitation. The guy tells me it's 1.95 each flat rate due to it being cardstock and since it's too stiff to go into their sorter and will get ruined. He proceeds to show me a jacked up sample. WTF? 

so I said can you double check with someone, the lady says it's true, they have to hand sort it

ok. That's a bit high. So I figured that's just how it is.

So I go home and gather up all my invitations and go to my mom's local post office because I was in the area anyway...I was ready to pay 1.95 eeach lo and behold she says it's 65 cents each. I'm like really? Are you Sure? Will they go through the sorter and get messed up? I made her repeat back to me they weren't going through the sorter and will not get messed up.

HALLELUJAH!!!! 

#2 Tulumbride2013

Tulumbride2013
    • 670 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:33 AM

Same thing happened to me, because my invites we're square and not rectangular, they couldn't be sorted. It also goes by weight. So it all depends on weight and shape. Surprising you would get two different answers though. But it is true that they get hand sorted. Some of my guests didn't receive invitations until two weeks after they were sent.

#3 Speckles121

Speckles121
      • 720 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

I had to deal with this with my invites because they were square..i just put an extra stamp on each of them! Now I need to get my welcome brochures out with plastic luggage tags and I'm sure they will try the same thing!

#4 imnotarunner

imnotarunner
        • 236 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:59 AM

I feel bad for those who over paid on postage

#5 Speckles121

Speckles121
          • 720 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

I guess the post office needs to make money some way or another!

#6 MrsBklovn

MrsBklovn
            • 79 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

oh no! I'm glad you didn't get stuck paying the 1.95

#7 olive0y1

olive0y1
              • 202 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:00 PM

Thanks for the heads up on this one!

#8 ChocoTaco7568

ChocoTaco7568
                • 955 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

Just another comment regarding this situation... When I went to my post office, I was informed that postage would be $.65. I sent my invites out to 5 differrent states, and all of my guests in Seattle WA had to pay $.45 to receive their invites. I was pissed when I found this out and kind of embarrassed. I found out the extra charge was do to the hand sorting. I just wish that every branch opperated on the same line of standards.

#9 imnotarunner

imnotarunner
                  • 236 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:37 AM

chocotaco : oh my that's crazy I would be pissed too, that's embarassing to have your guests pay for postage. what would they think? GRrrrr I'm glad I didn't have to do that with my invites. 

#10 ChocoTaco7568

ChocoTaco7568
                    • 955 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imnotarunner 

chocotaco : oh my that's crazy I would be pissed too, that's embarassing to have your guests pay for postage. what would they think? GRrrrr I'm glad I didn't have to do that with my invites. 

I know right, I felt totally tacky... I know I care more than my guests do, but honestly I would have preferred to pay more for every invite than to be supriesed and find out 5 invitations required additional postage.  Then again, I only sent 23 invites.  The cost can add up quick for those of you who are sending 50, 100 or more invitations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users