Sign in to follow this  
MissBubbles205

DIY Cake Toppers

I love E6000!!! that stuff will work on anything. case in point: my side mirror on my car broke off the housing. I used E6000 to glue that sucker back in there, vs. a $500 replacement. Ok, so it isn't an "automatic" or adjustable mirror anymore, but it still works! lol 

Originally Posted by MissBubbles205 View Post

lol..You know me too well.. To be honest, I have bought crystals in the past.. I don't know why, lol.. But I'm pretty sure they are the iron on type and I never knew it. So I don't think there is a big difference but the flat backs seem to be less expensive. Once I receive my order I will examine them to see which looks best and try to take pictures for you. :o)   As far as the cake topper, I plan to paint it with silver acrylic paint I got from Hobbly Lobby and then attach the rhinestones with E6000 glue. :o)

YES. We would have some fun DIY parties. With wine. 

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco7568 View Post

It sucks that we all don't live closer together, we could have DIY parties... cake topper party, petal runner party...

Originally Posted by AllieH View Post

I love E6000!!! that stuff will work on anything. case in point: my side mirror on my car broke off the housing. I used E6000 to glue that sucker back in there, vs. a $500 replacement. Ok, so it isn't an "automatic" or adjustable mirror anymore, but it still works! lol 

YES. We would have some fun DIY parties. With wine. 

Dang.. That stuff is pretty good!  I however opened mine yesterday and it was gooky, like it was drying up. :o( I had only used it once before a few months ago..

I started yesterday morning on my cake topper, and finished the front before I had to leave for a 5k. :o)

I'm thinking about blinging the back side just in case the cake is not backed to a wall.

Before....

After...

Originally Posted by Tulumbride2013 View Post

Miss bubbles,

I love it! Great job! Fi's grandma bought our cake topper... So I guess I have to use it..lol.

Thank you!! :o) It's sooo much more prettier in person. I wish I could capture the sparkle of it.

Aww.. Post a pic. :o) I wanna see!!!.. Aren't grandma's the cutest. :o)

Haha, too funny, I did the same thing except I order 1 in the Brock script and 1 in the English Vivace and 1 Edwardian.  I figured they were cheap enough, so why not.  Let me know what you come up with as fars as crystals.  I was going to wait for the letters to come in and then take them to Michaels to see what size(s) I need, but will probably order off of ebay to save some $$$.

I can't wait to see your letters.. :o) Have you gotten them yet? Mine came in on Saturday.

Originally Posted by MissBubbles205 View Post

I can't wait to see your letters.. :o) Have you gotten them yet? Mine came in on Saturday.

Nope not yet, but I did get the shipment confirmation on Friday morning and I had them paint it silver (once less step for me). I know you listed all of your crystal sizes but, what size did you end up using for this? It turned out great! how long did it take you to complete the front?

Nope not yet, but I did get the shipment confirmation on Friday morning and I had them paint it silver (once less step for me). I know you listed all of your crystal sizes but, what size did you end up using for this? It turned out great! how long did it take you to complete the front?

Ahh. I didn't know they did that!.. But it only took me maybe 15 mins at most to paint my whole letter. :o) I think I went with the 5" I'll look when I get home. I bought the thinest and the next size up, but went with the thinest one as I didn't want it to get too bulky or heavy. The next size up was almost 3x's as thick.

Thanks! :o) Hmm... maybe 2-3 hours. I totally lost track of time.. you can't tell in this picture, but I think I used the most tiny rhinestoned made in some spots. I highly recommend tweezers :o) It made the just sooo much easier.

Hmmm, I hope I don't torture myself too much. I got 2.2mm, 2.6mm and 3.1mm swarovski crystals, I convinced myself that that the smaller the better.   

Okay, here is the one I used.

Font: Monterey BT Height: 5" Width: 5.8" Thickness: 1/8inch 

My rhinestones that I purchased from ebay still has not come in.. So the stone I used were some that I bought... idk when or why.. lol

I looked this morning and the large ones that I used were a 12mm per the package and the other were super duper tiny. I'm gonna guess and say they were between a 1-2mm. I'm sure yours will be tidious but very blingy!! :o) I was just too impatient to wait for the new stones to come in. :o(