DIY Cake Toppers

Haha, too funny, I did the same thing except I order 1 in the Brock script and 1 in the English Vivace and 1 Edwardian.  I figured they were cheap enough, so why not.  Let me know what you come up with as fars as crystals.  I was going to wait for the letters to come in and then take them to Michaels to see what size(s) I need, but will probably order off of ebay to save some $$$.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, you're a bride!! we have so freakin many decisions to make, that after a while it all runs together. I swear!

hit Michael's or Joann's or Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon for the rhinestones.

here's a site with a good graphic for cake size based on the # of guests:

http://www.dailyweddingplanningtip.com/wedding-cakes/how-much-wedding-cake-will-you-need/

Originally Posted by MissBubbles205 View Post

Okay, so I am officially the most indecisive person ever... but I finally made a purchase, I got the following. :o)

Text:: R
Font:: Monterey BT
Thickness:: 1/8 inch
Height:: 5 "
Letter Count:: 1 @ $2.35 each
Paper Template:: No
Approximate Width:: 5.8"

and

Text:: R
Font:: English Vivace Script CT
Thickness:: 1/4 inch
Height:: 5 "
Letter Count:: 1 @ $3.45 each
Paper Template:: No
Approximate Width:: 5.3"

Now that I've also been looking at rhinestones all day.. I'm wondering what size to buy.. What kind to buy, etc.. I need rhinestones for several projects but for the cake topper I want them to be extra blingy without the cost of swarovski.. suggestions?

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco7568 View Post

Haha, too funny, I did the same thing except I order 1 in the Brock script and 1 in the English Vivace and 1 Edwardian.  I figured they were cheap enough, so why not.  Let me know what you come up with as fars as crystals.  I was going to wait for the letters to come in and then take them to Michaels to see what size(s) I need, but will probably order off of ebay to save some $$$.

tehehe.. too funny. I love the more scrolly ones, but A made me promise I wouldn't get one too girly.. So I tried to find a happy medium. :-/

Great idea about taking the letters to Michaels to determine the sizes. I'll do the same. :o) then look on ebay and do research on the best ones and let you know.

Originally Posted by AllieH View Post

here's a site with a good graphic for cake size based on the # of guests:

http://www.dailyweddingplanningtip.com/wedding-cakes/how-much-wedding-cake-will-you-need/

Thanks for posting Ms Allie! my wedding coordinator provided the same tier size diameters for my wedding group of +/- 30, but sometimes I wonder if she's just making stuff up.

Okay, so of course I am impatient.. And I couldn't pass up a good deal, so I bought the following.

Seller:shop4femme-us

Loose Rhinestones lot of Hot Fix Iron on 3mm (SS10), 15 Colors to choose from
Qty:1
$5.10
Clear #00, 2880pcs (20 Gross)

Loose Rhinestones lot of Hot Fix Iron on 4mm (SS16), 15 Colors to choose from
$5.90
Clear #00, 2160pcs (15 Gross)

Selection of 2mm Round Shape Flat Back Rhinestones in Multiple Colors and Lots
$2.45
Clear #06, 3000 pcs

Selection of 2mm Round Shape Flat Back Rhinestones in Multiple Colors and Lots
$2.45
Light Blue #10, 3000 pcs

Ignore the blue.. I bought those to write I Do on the bottom of my shoes.. But I bought iron-on and flatback to see which would look best. I figured I could use the iron on for my tanks if it don't work out for the topper. 2mm will be super tiny, so I'm afraid it will be a bit tidious.. But from what I've read these are the most common used.. 12ss(3.5mm I believe), 16ss(4mm), 20ss(5mm).. But I also saw a gorgeous one done in only 10ss(3mm)

OMG... I knew you couldn't resist, but I was giving you 48 bhours before you cracked. Thanks for sharing the info missy! It's actually been a big question of mine as to whether or not the iron on crystals will work or if I need to find a super stregth addhesive. You'll probably figure this out before I even get around to ordering my crystal. So be sure to let me know...pretty please.

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco7568 View Post

OMG... I knew you couldn't resist, but I was giving you 48 bhours before you cracked. Thanks for sharing the info missy! It's actually been a big question of mine as to whether or not the iron on crystals will work or if I need to find a super stregth addhesive. You'll probably figure this out before I even get around to ordering my crystal. So be sure to let me know...pretty please.

lol..You know me too well.. To be honest, I have bought crystals in the past.. I don't know why, lol.. But I'm pretty sure they are the iron on type and I never knew it. So I don't think there is a big difference but the flat backs seem to be less expensive. Once I receive my order I will examine them to see which looks best and try to take pictures for you. :o)   As far as the cake topper, I plan to paint it with silver acrylic paint I got from Hobbly Lobby and then attach the rhinestones with E6000 glue. :o)