Anyone ever heard of hand fasting?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iddress

iddress
  • Banned
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

My FI and I have decided to not to the unity candle or unity sand things, but I kind of want something to show the same basic concept (two become one) is a unique way.  I came across a brief description of hand fasting in a magaizine, but it didn't give a whole lot of information.  All it said was that the hands of the couple were wrapped in a ribbon or something and that it came from an ancient Celtic tradition possibly.  Does anyone have anymore information about this tradition?

#2 imjalar

imjalar
    • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

It's a pagan ceremony and it involves a lot of rituals. If you aren't pagan, which    I'm guessing you aren't since you don't really know anything about this, I'm not    sure this is something you would be interested in. This to me is more religous    than unity candle or sand ceremony. 

#3 lkfghte

lkfghte
      • 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:51 PM

You might want to ask your priest if he's okay with it. I find it hard to imagine

a pagan wedding tradition would be acceptable as part of a Catholic Mass.

#4 lkminga

lkminga
        • 11 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:57 PM

First, most Catholic churches do not allow unity ceremonies because they aren't    part of the liturgy. Second, anytime someone describes a ritual of any sort as    "overdone" it makes me side eye because it should be about the meaning behind it,    which should not be affected by how many other people have done it. If you're    willing to not do it just because it's too common for you, you probably shouldn't    do it all.

#5 lkminga

lkminga
          • 11 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

I seriouslydoubt that a Catholic priest would allow a Pagen rite during a Catholic    wedding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users