Photo

Guess who's a Newbie?!? Meeeeeee :)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ckoch159

ckoch159
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:07 PM

Hi everyone!  My fiance found this website and I am SOOOO happy!  We've been engaged since 20 NOV 2011 and I have yet to make any official plans.  I feel so overwhelmed...I don't know where to start!!!

My name is Christina and I'm engaged to Eric.  We would like to have a destination wedding in April or May 2013.  Originally, we planned on getting married in Jamaica, but after our visit in Feb we've decided not to have our wedding there.  The weather was HORRIBLE (cloudy and rainy every day) and we were not happy with the customer service.  So now we're back to square one :(

Eric would like to get married in Mexico but I'm not sure about the safety, and I would like to get married in the Caribbean but he's worried about the humidity.  Any suggestions that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated! 

Now I'm off to explore the site!!!

Christina

#2 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
    • 11,659 posts
    • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

welcome Christina!  We are happy to have you on here.  You might want to consider Riviera Maya.  Great weather, beautiful location, affordable.  The resort area is pretty far from the crime areas.  This map might be helpful to you: http://www.bestdesti...ico-crime-areas

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
    Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
    Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
    Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
    sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
    Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#3 JayKay

JayKay
    • 3,472 posts
    • Wedding Date:January 13, 2012
    • Wedding Location:Gran Bahia Principe Runaway Bay Jamaica
    • LocationSouthern Alberta

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:04 PM

Sounds like the perfect spot for you would be the Mayan Riviera in Mexico.  Its on the carribean side, not to humid, but still beautiful.  Its also far from the crime areas and safe. 

Originally Posted by ckoch159 

Hi everyone!  My fiance found this website and I am SOOOO happy!  We've been engaged since 20 NOV 2011 and I have yet to make any official plans.  I feel so overwhelmed...I don't know where to start!!!

My name is Christina and I'm engaged to Eric.  We would like to have a destination wedding in April or May 2013.  Originally, we planned on getting married in Jamaica, but after our visit in Feb we've decided not to have our wedding there.  The weather was HORRIBLE (cloudy and rainy every day) and we were not happy with the customer service.  So now we're back to square one :(

Eric would like to get married in Mexico but I'm not sure about the safety, and I would like to get married in the Caribbean but he's worried about the humidity.  Any suggestions that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated! 

Christina

#4 boscobel

boscobel
    • VIP Member
    • 24,213 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:39 AM

Congrats and welcome!  That stinks that you guys had a less then great weathered trip to Jamaica!  Although, you can have crappy weather anywhere.  I've only been to Jamaica twice, but both times the weather was gorgeous, May 2008 for our wedding and April 2011 for a vacation.

#5 JessiTaylor

JessiTaylor
      • 296 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

Mexico has a terrible reputation its true, but the majority of violence is concentrated around the border with the US (like where i live, Monterrey) And when you here about stuff like people being shot....99% of the time they are  involved in the cartels or members of law enforcement fighting them. I would never recommend you come to where i live on a holiday but i have no qualms suggesting the riviera maya as a safe destination for a trip =)

Given that you will essentially arriving at airport, going directly to resort, staying in a resort all the time with the exceptions of day tours(snorkelling etc) and maybe the odd restaurant the chances of being a victim of violence are seriously low. Notable exceptions to this would be if you try to buy drugs or as in any place in the world, if you wander into dark alleys waving wads of cash and a rolex.

Also, woman alone are not advised to walk on the beach very late at night especially if theyve been drinking heavily. incidents are very very rare...so its just a sensible precaution. i would say the same thing about walking late at night alone if you were going to london (where im from originally, or that would be a very random comment hahaha). also youll be with your husband.

With regards to dates - April is high season, and is a little bit cheaper the last two weeks or in may. May is the beginning of the rainy season but the chances of rain are pretty low!

One issue that might put you off mexico a little bit is if you want a legal wedding, you need a blood test 4 days before. people often get around this by having a courthouse wedding back home to sign the papers...and a symbolic ceremony in mexico with all the celebrations taking place then!

anyways....theres so much info on resorts etc on here, im sure you will find the perfect place!!

Originally Posted by ckoch159 

Christina

#6 Tatiana

Tatiana
        • 95 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

welcome!

#7 Moments That Matter

Moments That Matter

Diamond Vendor

• Insiders
          • 3,074 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:27 AM

Congratulations Christina and welcome to the forums! Have fun with all your planning for your wedding day.

If there is anything I can do to help... don't hesitate to ask!

Talk to you soon!

Linkn

MTM%20Logo%202016_zps4tzm05my.png

Moments That Matter Photography , Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Canadian Award Winning Photojournalist serving the Riviera Maya

Email: contact@momentsthatmatterphotography.com

Why we're Ranked #1 ~ Scoop on what we do:  MTM Reviews

Meet Lincoln & Team MTM: "Meet Lincoln" Video + see his Passion!!!

We Offer: 100% Vendor Fee Discount
                                100% Deposit Guarantee

100% Satisfaction Guarantee

#8 yumii28

yumii28
            • 169 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

Congrats and happy planning!!

#9 JoanneIreland

JoanneIreland
              • 860 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:26 AM

Congrats and welcome to the forum, you will find this site a life saver in your planning!

#10 Tatiana

Tatiana
                • 95 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

welcome to the forum! happy planning!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users