Photo

I've decided to hyphenate my last name

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PrecisePlans

PrecisePlans
  • 802 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:50 PM

I am the last "D" in my family. I spoke with my FI about keeping my last name and hyphenating it. He was against it at first, but i felt strongly about this. We talked it out and he agreed. So here is my question,

When the minister announces us right after the wedding, how should i ask him to phrase it. I want my family and friends to know my full name, but i don't want to humiliate my FI. I"m having a DW in Jamaica.

Help!!

#2 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 24,768 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:53 PM

you really could do it any way you want - but if you want to be announced as your legal names you could have him say something like ...

"... the new Mr. ____ and Mrs. _____-_____!"

or I guess you could skip the name thing - and just say "husband and wife!"

#3 MikkiStreak

MikkiStreak
      • VIP Member
      • 2,347 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:54 PM

Honestly, I'd probably have them announce with his name. I guess I look at it like, you'll have both names from there on out--- let FI hear it once without the correction...

#4 PrecisePlans

PrecisePlans
        • 802 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:02 PM

He can't say introducing Mr. Bob and Mary Downs - Johnson.....cause my FI will have a heart attach if his name is attached to mine.......sort of like being Mr. Oprah Winfrey.

I really would like to hear my full name announced properly, but i'm not really sure of how to handle this situation.

#5 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 24,768 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 07:13 PM

will "Mr. Bob Johnson and Mrs. Mary Downs-Johnson" work?

#6 starchild

starchild

• Moderators
            • 26,161 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:50 AM

Or how about just "Introducing Bob and Mary Johnson"? Everyone already knows your maiden name, you can attach it later but for the ceremony it doesn't need to be said.

#7 PrecisePlans

PrecisePlans
              • 802 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:04 PM

No, see that's the thing. I WANT my full name to be said. My family doesn't know that I want to keep my name, so this will be a surprise for them also........especially my dad! I think I will use akh's suggestion. Thanks ladies!!

#8 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
                • 24,768 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 12:06 PM

i wanted to keep my maiden name in some fashion as well - i just moved it to a 2nd middle name - so now i have 2 middle names. not sure if that would work for you. it's all a personal preference!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users