Anyone else needing to "rein themselves in" over entertainment?

I am definitely going down the same path as you. You start seeing what other people have done and think Hmm yeh I like that idea. Need to control myself!!

This board certainly made my budget expand! I still feel fairly level headed as I splurge on some not on others. Im trying!

An elephant though would be hilarious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sometimes I feel like a cheap bastard because i think "fire dancers would be super cool, but I can do without" or "natural flowers would look amazing at the reception, but I can put that money towards better food". I also feel like I'm not planning enough. Aside from being on this thread all the time I haven't done anything new or bought anything in about a month or two. This is probably going to bite me in the ass in a few months hahah. I feel as though the wedding is so far away that I don't have to settle yet on things like jewelry or shoes, or music, etc

Sometimes I feel like a cheap bastard because i think "fire dancers would be super cool, but I can do without" or "natural flowers would look amazing at the reception, but I can put that money towards better food". I also feel like I'm not planning enough. Aside from being on this thread all the time I haven't done anything new or bought anything in about a month or two. This is probably going to bite me in the ass in a few months hahah. I feel as though the wedding is so far away that I don't have to settle yet on things like jewelry or shoes, or music, etc

You totally can sit on those things right now, and make the best choice for you.  Gives you time to shop around not only for a great price but you can go back and forth on what you want.    I made a lot of early decisions that may not have been my final decision had I sat on it a little longer  - some which in the end cost me more money because I ended up also getting what I wanted. But on the flip side, since i am a winter wedding I had to move on somethings as they are seasonal.  Live and learn!  

ps - I just try to remind myself that a lot of my guests have never been to a destination wedding so they don't have huge expectations.   I don't think anyone would expect fire dancers or a mariachi or even elaborate favors.  I think for them just being there is enough!

Edited by calgarybride2015

You totally can sit on those things right now, and make the best choice for you. Gives you time to shop around not only for a great price but you can go back and forth on what you want. I made a lot of early decisions that may not have been my final decision had I sat on it a little longer - some which in the end cost me more money because I ended up also getting what I wanted. But on the flip side, since i am a winter wedding I had to move on somethings as they are seasonal. Live and learn!

ps - I just try to remind myself that a lot of my guests have never been to a destination wedding so they don't have huge expectations. I don't think anyone would expect fire dancers or a mariachi or even elaborate favors. I think for them just being there is enough!

Hahaha I agree. I was talking about OOT bags and my MoH and another girlfriend were thinking I was crazy for worrying about that! I think anything we do will be impressive and so appreciated by our guests ... And if we don't do something- no one will even notice! It's the only negative about a forum like this... So many great ideas that I want to do them all but my wallet isn't on the same page!

• Like 1

@@calgarybride2015 I think you are TOTALLY right that guests don't have expectations for a destination wedding. It is completely different than a traditional wedding at home where the day is pretty standard across weddings.

My sister got married in Mexico last year and kept it pretty simple, but the excitement about being on vacation with a group of fun people, having a new experience, and the beauty of the tropical location kind of makes people oblivious to everything else. People remember how much fun they had - and that is what I keep telling myself. I'm willing to spend money on things that up the fun factor!

@@TinkerSofi I would worry about not having much done. I am telling myself that is what snowy/freezing cold days in winter are for! I'll hit everything really hard in January-March - and I'll probably be so excited by then that I'll have my bags packed by April :)

• Like 1

@@calgarybride2015 I think you are TOTALLY right that guests don't have expectations for a destination wedding. It is completely different than a traditional wedding at home where the day is pretty standard across weddings.

My sister got married in Mexico last year and kept it pretty simple, but the excitement about being on vacation with a group of fun people, having a new experience, and the beauty of the tropical location kind of makes people oblivious to everything else. People remember how much fun they had - and that is what I keep telling myself. I'm willing to spend money on things that up the fun factor!

@@TinkerSofi I would worry about not having much done. I am telling myself that is what snowy/freezing cold days in winter are for! I'll hit everything really hard in January-March - and I'll probably be so excited by then that I'll have my bags packed by April :)

I completely agree with your guests being excited just to be on vacation and having fun than all the little details we brides stress over.  I gave everyone a welcome bag filled with a hangover kit and personalized sunglasses and I barely saw people use the bag.  Some people didn't even look in the bag never noticed that it had stuff in it. lol Granted our resort gives each room very nice souvenir beach bag and has everything you need including sunscreen and aloe so people didn't really need my kits. I'm glad I kept them minimal and didn't spend too much money on them.

My guests were so excited and to busy having fun at the actual resort and using all their amenities and taking advantage of what the resort itself had to offer that my bags were mostly forgotten. There were one or two people who commented on the hangover kits and said they used them and I did see some people with the sunglasses throughout the weekend. But I mostly saw people using the hotel's free bag instead of mine oh well it was a favor as well so it worked as double duty. Moral of the story is not to stress out over the little things, your guests won't notice if something you had planned is missing trust me.  You'll be the only one who knows. 

• 2 weeks later...

I totally get this! I'm battling right now with the fact I REALLY want a light up dance floor but with having between 90 to 2.5 hour dancing in reception max (probably 1.5 dancing, 4 hours total is what we'll go with)...I can't justify the 800 price tag! Boo!