Jump to content

Photo

Is anyone else as mad as I am


  • Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#11 amyh

amyh

    VIP Member

  • VIP Member
  • 3,754 posts

    Posted 17 September 2007 - 10:30 AM

    I've been hearing about this on the radio, its insane! I cannot belive people continue to have this mentality.

    #12 Jessica

    Jessica
    • VIP Member
    • 11,939 posts

      Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:16 AM

      Catherine... no they don't still have white and colored bathrooms in the south?!?! Are you freaking serious?!? That's amazing.

      that is commonly reserved for the enjoyment of the white students of the school. School officials allegedly told the Black students that it was ok to sit wherever they wanted and they went ahead and did so.
      This, I can't even believe. First of all, how can a tree be commonly reserved for the white students?! That's just ridiculous, and secondly, the black students don't need permission from school officials to sit under the tree. It's a freaking tree on school grounds. They are students there. Unless there's a rule no students can sit there, black, white, polka dotted, they can sit where ever they want.

      Stuff like this makes me sad. I was raised in a very tolerant home and my neighborhood was very mixed in terms of race. I grew up comfortable with and friends with a variety of people. Unfortunately though, not everyon'es fmaily is like this. Stuff like this is still happening and will probably never cease because much like family tradition, racism is something taught and handed down from generation to generation.

      #13 jajajaja

      jajajaja
      • VIP Member
      • 9,794 posts

        Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:43 AM

        Quote:
        Originally Posted by JessicaLovesBrian
        Catherine... no they don't still have white and colored bathrooms in the south?!?! Are you freaking serious?!? That's amazing.

        that is commonly reserved for the enjoyment of the white students of the school. School officials allegedly told the Black students that it was ok to sit wherever they wanted and they went ahead and did so.
        This, I can't even believe. First of all, how can a tree be commonly reserved for the white students?! That's just ridiculous, and secondly, the black students don't need permission from school officials to sit under the tree. It's a freaking tree on school grounds. They are students there. Unless there's a rule no students can sit there, black, white, polka dotted, they can sit where ever they want.
        I too found this completely ridiculous. When I read the first part of the story I was appalled. Trees are reserved for the white students?!! Wow. Not to mention how sickening the rest of the story turned out to be.

        I grew up in Oregon and specifically an area that is not very diverse. To hear some people to use that as an excuse for their ignorance enrages me. You don't have to see people of different ethnicities to know it's morally wrong to be prejudice.

        Is there a place we can send letters to? I would love to write a letter in support for these students, because I obviously can't attend a rally. I had no idea we still had issues like this still going on!
        Happily married since 2008

        #14 RaydensMama

        RaydensMama
        • VIP Member
        • 2,861 posts

          Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:47 AM

          Wow I cant believe that. Its really shocking and upseting. And the sad thing is that so many of these kids are being raised to hate. It just keeps the cycle going. I just hope that one day people will just realize that were all the same. Its really upseting.

          #15 LadyP

          LadyP
          • Sr. Member
          • 3,156 posts

            Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:08 PM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Waiting_for_Sunshine
            Is there a place we can send letters to? I would love to write a letter in support for these students, because I obviously can't attend a rally. I had no idea we still had issues like this still going on!

            THURSDAY they are asking everyone to whhere black to kill racial injustice
            or a purple ribbon

            #16 LadyP

            LadyP
            • Sr. Member
            • 3,156 posts

              Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:09 PM

              I can forward anyone the address to the da if they want it. Matter of fact after I take my class to lunch i will copy and paste it right here. about 12:30

              #17 IrieBride08

              IrieBride08
              • Member
              • 716 posts

                Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:16 PM

                Here's the website to sign the petition and to get additional information on this, Jena Six Petition

                Also, everyone is wearing either black or green on this coming Thursday in support of the Jena 6 demonstration.

                #18 LadyP

                LadyP
                • Sr. Member
                • 3,156 posts

                  Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:28 PM

                  Here is all the information that I have
                  Pressure from the top down! This has been a issue that has not been raised to the top. Here are the Congressional and Senatorial Delegates for Louisiana. Have them contact the DA and the judge.


                  Sacha Louisiana Congressional Delegation U.S. Senate

                  David Vitter
                  516 Hart Senate Office Building
                  Washington, DC 20510
                  Phone: 202.224.4623
                  Fax: 202.228.5061

                  Mary Landrieu
                  724 Hart Senate Office Building
                  Washington, DC 20510
                  Phone: 202.224.5824
                  Fax: 202.224.9735

                  U.S. House of Representatives

                  Bobby Jindal
                  District 1 1205 Longworth House Office Building
                  Washington, DC 20515
                  Phone: 202.225.3015

                  William Jefferson
                  District 2 240 Cannon House Office Building
                  Washington, DC 20515
                  Phone: 202.225.6636
                  Fax: 202.225.1988

                  Charlie Melancon
                  District 3 404 Cannon House Office Building
                  Washington, DC 20515
                  Phone: 202.225.4031
                  Fax: 202.226.3944

                  Jim McCrery
                  District 4 2104 Rayburn House Office Building
                  Washington, DC 20515
                  Phone: 202.225.2777
                  Fax: 202.225.8039

                  Rodney Alexander
                  District 5 316 Cannon House Office Building
                  Washington, DC 20515
                  Phone: 202.225.8490
                  Fax: 202.225.5639

                  Richard Baker
                  District 6 434 Cannon House Office Building
                  Washington, DC 20515
                  Phone: 202.225.3901
                  Fax: 202.225.7313

                  Dr. Charles Boustany, Jr.
                  District 7 1117 Longworth House Office Building
                  Washington, DC 20515-1807
                  Phone: 202.225.2031





                  JENA 6

                  If listeners wish to send Mychal Bell letters of encouragement while he is held in prison, here is his address:

                  Mychal Bell
                  Inmate, A-Dorm
                  LaSalle Correctional Center
                  15976 Highway 165
                  Olla, LA 71465-4801

                  The Jena 6 need financial support to fight their cases. Any amount raised goes directly towards hiring private attorneys that the families of the Jena 6 cannot afford on their own. To send donations:
                  Jena 6 Defense Committee
                  PO BOX 2798
                  Jena, LA 71342

                  #19 Christine

                  Christine
                  • VIP Member
                  • 21,514 posts
                  • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
                  • Wedding Location:Napa, California
                  • LocationReno, NV

                  Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:45 PM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by IrieBride08
                  Here's the website to sign the petition and to get additional information on this, Jena Six Petition

                  Also, everyone is wearing either black or green on this coming Thursday in support of the Jena 6 demonstration.
                  aarrrggg that website is blocked at work...I might have to make this a class assignment to write letters to our local congressmen regarding this...there is a federal law about this, why can't the states realize this!
                  Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

                  #20 IrieBride08

                  IrieBride08
                  • Member
                  • 716 posts

                    Posted 17 September 2007 - 12:49 PM

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Christine
                    aarrrggg that website is blocked at work...I might have to make this a class assignment to write letters to our local congressmen regarding this...there is a federal law about this, why can't the states realize this!

                    Aww that sucks!!! It's ColorOfChange.org.




                    0 user(s) are reading this topic

                    0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users