M&M candy favors - Will they melt???

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mari15t

mari15t
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:06 AM

Hi Ladies!

I am planning for my wedding in Cabo Mexico this fall, and have decided I want to use M&M chocolates for our wedding favors (our friends sometimes call us this bc our names are Marvin and Maritza :)).  My question is, has anyone ever used these to travel to Mexico and had any issues with the chocolate melting?

Ordering the candy in bulk gets pricey so I just want to be sure before I order them that we won't have any problems with melted candy in Mexico.  Our wedding will take place in early October, so Mexico will still have 80 degree weather during the day. My plan is to take the chocolates with me as part of my carry on if the airline will allow it. 

What do you think? Bad idea???

#2 FabiLara

FabiLara
    • 172 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:15 PM

I think it's rather risky! They can melt on the plane, but they can also melt before you give them out at your wedding.... I personally wouldn't do it (although I did consider it).

Sorry  just my 2 cents.

#3 torilynnsmith

torilynnsmith
      • 1,748 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:40 PM

I have heard the candy coating helps protect them! If you keep them in your carry on and then put them right into your air conditioned room you may be ok! I think it would then depend on when you hand them out.  Keeping them in AC as long as possible will be the best bet!

#4 futuremrstgun

futuremrstgun
        • 995 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:22 PM

very cute idea...i wonder if you were to give them out pre-travel..say in your OOT bags or for your AHR..might that be a better option..traveling with food can be tricky and tropical weather..uhm, might not be a good look...

i agree with tori..if you get them in air conditioning right away you might be ok..but if you don't..well, i'd hate to even think about the $$$ going down the drain...

hmmm.... 

good luck with this one...

R~

#5 LisaMatterni

LisaMatterni
          • 718 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:08 AM

Hmm... As far as I know M&M candies melt. I think you have to choose other candy brand.

#6 bmadzia1

bmadzia1
            • 355 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:22 AM

Whenever I travel I always buy one of those BIG bags at cosco and take with us. (peanut M&Ms are my addiction) They are always ok (I even have them in my check in bag). They are soft'er by the time we get to the hotel, but I put them in the fridge right away. Now - I have sometimes put a small amount in a ziplock bag for excusrions and they didn't melt - but border line melted :) ... it's a risk I'd say.

#7 Aruba Bride

Aruba Bride
              • 170 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 05:43 AM

I agree with Tori. I think as long as they stay relatively cool the candy coating should help. They just may be a little soft!

#8 mari15t

mari15t
                • 72 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:08 PM

Thanks for your input, ladies! Since, I have decided to give mexican wedding cookies instead. I'm too afraid to take the risk that the chocolates would melt. I would flip. And that would not be good. LOL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users