HELP!! Need Help with Wedding Invitation Etiquette when grooms parents are divorced!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Afaybik

• 99 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

I need help with the invitation wording.  My daughter is marrying someone whose parents are divorced...the father is remarried and I wanted to include the step-mom on the wedding invitation but the groom's mother says only the parents that raised him should be on the invitation.  I want it to read:

John Doe

son of

Mrs. Mary Doe

Mr. & Mrs. Harry Doe

She wants:

John Doe

son of

Mrs. Mary Doe

Mr. Harry Doe

So actually she wants us to leave the step-mom off of the invitation.  I, being the mother of the bride want to include all parents whether natural or step-parents.

What is the correct way.  Don't want anyone's feelings to be hurt.

Should I just delete the groom's parent's names altogether or what should I do.  We have to have the final wording to the printer no later than Friday.

Thanks for your help!

#2 shelbygirl

• 186 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:38 PM

I agree with you, but coming from a family with divorced parents I know how things go. I'd ask the groom how he wants it to read and go with that.  It is their day and if she gets mad...it won't be at you:)  Goodluck

#3 sascolo

• 184 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:57 AM

Personally I think it is more appropriate to list just the parents, not step parents on the invite. You can always acknowledge the step parent in a program or something. I think you want to minimize hurting the real parent. Divorce is hard and things like weddings can be really emotional.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users