Jump to content

Photo

BDW Biggest Loser ~ Season 10!


  • Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#41 msmarmar123

msmarmar123
  • Member
  • 747 posts

    Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:27 AM

    But shouldn't Biggest Loser be about overall health and things that can make us feel good inside and out? 

     

    Originally Posted by DWBride615 

      

    lol I feel like I'm completely turning away from the weight loss topic and semi-like a paid promoter. haha
     





    #42 DWBride615

    DWBride615
    • Member
    • 852 posts

      Posted 23 August 2010 - 10:39 AM

      You are absolutely right. Nevermind my last comment.

       

      Originally Posted by msmarmar123 

      But shouldn't Biggest Loser be about overall health and things that can make us feel good inside and out? 

       


       



      *~*Chelsea & Eric*~* {{New wedding Date...Same Growing Love}} October 13, 2012 (Rome, Italy)

      #43 mrs*j*2011

      mrs*j*2011
      • Banned
      • 206 posts

        Posted 23 August 2010 - 12:48 PM

        I am not good at trying new things but I am intrigued by the apple cider vinegar tip.  Does it taste really terrible?  I'm afraid to try it!  


        ~~ Lea ~~
        January 2, 2011 ~ Sandals Royal Caribbean
        (honeymooning at Couples Negril)


        http://dwdf.daisypath.com/xRI3m4.png

        #44 DWBride615

        DWBride615
        • Member
        • 852 posts

          Posted 23 August 2010 - 06:51 PM



          Originally Posted by mrs*j*2011 

          I am not good at trying new things but I am intrigued by the apple cider vinegar tip.  Does it taste really terrible?  I'm afraid to try it!


          It's doesn't taste absolutely terrible, it's just unpleasant the first time you try it because it's new. It's sweeter than any other vinegar which is good. You get used to it quick though and can even learn to like it.

           

          I forgot to add another benefit to it. If you have a cold, drinking it will clear up any nose congestion.
           


          *~*Chelsea & Eric*~* {{New wedding Date...Same Growing Love}} October 13, 2012 (Rome, Italy)

          #45 bride7474

          bride7474
          • Member
          • 582 posts

            Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:11 AM

            I have tried the ACV on more than one occasion and just can not stand the taste!  I wish I could though as I know there are so many benefits!



            #46 Oryx

            Oryx
            • Member
            • 727 posts

              Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

              I have never tried ACV... I'm also intrigued.  Maybe I'll give it a try for week 2!



              #47 ashleyryan

              ashleyryan
              • Site Supporter
              • 45 posts

                Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:40 AM



                Originally Posted by DWBride615 

                 


                I buy organic green tea bags. Just go about making tea the normal way; with a hot cup of water and let the bag sit in the cup. Once the tea is done...this may sound weird, but it's known to be effective and I can back it up...I get the tea bag, dipping it one last time to have enough moisture in it, and run it over my skin. If need be, I dip it in again to get more moisture. Don't avoid the eye area because green tea reduces eye puffiness/ dark circles. Your skin will be wet, let it dry naturally by air; do NOT dry with a towel/paper. Then drink the tea after lol

                 

                Have you heard of oil-pulling for over-all good health and even whitens your teeth? I use this too and it works.

                 

                If you go to www.earthclinic.com it will show you natural remedies using things you can find in your household and shows thousands of reviews from people who have used them. It's great!

                 

                 

                lol I feel like I'm completely turning away from the weight loss topic and semi-like a paid promoter. haha
                 



                Awesome, thanks for the link! Looks helpful :)



                #48 ashleyryan

                ashleyryan
                • Site Supporter
                • 45 posts

                  Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

                   

                  Originally Posted by DWBride615 

                   


                  Your skin will be wet, let it dry naturally by air; do NOT dry with a towel/paper. Then drink the tea after lol

                   


                  Speaking of tea, have you (or anyone) every tried Jiaogulan Tea? My FI had a cough for about 2 months and after a few cups of this tea it FINALLY started to go away!! I purchased it at Teaopia but I'm sure it could be found at most specialty tea shops. It's like green tea in terms of taste, but a little better because it's sweeter with even more health benefits than conventional green tea. It stays active for about 8-14 hours after steeped which means you can re-steep the same herbs over and over for quite a while and still get all of the health benefits! Steep for 5-8 minutes :)

                   

                  Here's a little bit of info on it for everyone:

                   

                  Jiaogulan – The ‘Immortality’ Tea

                   

                  Jiaogulan (pronounced ‘JOW GOO LANN’) is a Chinese herb which has been consumed for centuries for its reputed anti-aging, antioxidant and disease-fighting properties. Jiaogulan is sometimes called Five Leafed Ginseng or Southern Ginseng, since it grows in south central China and because of its similarity to ginseng in chemical composition and function. The plant is a member of the cucumber family and grows in clusters of five leaves. All parts of the plant may be dried and infused, and you will see the grassy look of the product, which consist of both leaves and stems, matted and held in shape by a very light sucrose. Thus, there is sweetness to the herb when infused, which occurs due to the natural sweetness of the leaf and the sucrose used to hold it together.

                   

                  Infusion Reccomendations: Infuse each ball in approximated 24 ounces of water at no more than 175 degrees for at least five minutes. Multiple infusions are strongly recommended. Successive infusions are smooth and delicious.

                   

                  Chinese history about the plant dates back to the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644 A.D.) The plant was used as both a dietary supplement and a food source. By the late 1500’s some theraputic claims began to be described. In the mountainous regions of Southern China, Jiaogulan was consumed for its apparent energizing effects, to increase strength and endurance and to relieve fatigue. Its uses and its reputation became comparable to those of ginseng. A frequently cited story states that in a village near Fanjing Mountain in Guizhou province, residents consumed tea made from the herb instead of the more commonly used green tea, and as a result many people in the village lived to 100 years of age or more. Thus the tea was named ‘Xiancao’, ‘Immortality herb’.

                   

                  Chinese herbology sources include Jiaogulan in the ‘Dictionary of Chinese Materia Medica’, where traditional uses for the herb as a medicine, are described. It is a recommended prescription for anti-inflammation, detoxification, cough remedy, and as an expectorant and chronic bronchitis remedy. Other claims for the effectiveness of the herb include its power as an antioxidant and its adaptogenic properties. The term ‘adaptogen’ describes herbs that help the out-of-balance body to normalize itself. So, for example, if you need to energize, the claim is that the plant will do that for you, and if you need to rest, the plant will calm you. Multiple research citations claim the effectiveness of Jiaogulan as an adaptogen, which is also very rich in antioxidants, amino acids, minerals, and is stimulant-free. The plant has attracted the attention of scientists not only in China, but also Europe and the U.S. Ther herb is being actively researched, but more studies on the human body are needed to prove its health claims.

                   

                  According to herbalists Jiaogulan is used for:

                   

                  -       Antioxidant and disease-fighting properties

                  -       Supports organ systems and blood function

                  -       Decreased cholesterol

                  -       Reduction of blood fat levels

                  -       Improved digestion and nutrient absorption

                  -       Increase in vitality and endurance

                  -       Improved athletic performance

                  -       Regulation of hormonal functions

                  -       Aids in weight loss

                  -       Improvement of sleep

                  -       Relief from fatigue enhanced resistance to disease

                  -       Calming and mood elevation


                   



                  #49 Kristy!

                  Kristy!

                    VIP Member

                  • VIP Member
                  • 6,368 posts

                    Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

                    Hey ladies.  I won't be competing in BL, but just wanted to say good luck and stick with it! Remember there's a reason you're signing up for this competition.

                     

                    I used to drink a teaspoon of ACV straight just to get it over with.  That's an option if you don't want to add it to your water bottle.  Don't forget you can also cook with it (not sure if that makes it lose its effect) or just add it to your salad.

                     

                    May the best loser win!



                    #50 DWBride615

                    DWBride615
                    • Member
                    • 852 posts

                      Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

                      Quote:

                      Originally Posted by ashleyryan 


                      Speaking of tea, have you (or anyone) every tried Jiaogulan Tea? My FI had a cough for about 2 months and after a few cups of this tea it FINALLY started to go away!! I purchased it at Teaopia but I'm sure it could be found at most specialty tea shops. It's like green tea in terms of taste, but a little better because it's sweeter with even more health benefits than conventional green tea. It stays active for about 8-14 hours after steeped which means you can re-steep the same herbs over and over for quite a while and still get all of the health benefits! Steep for 5-8 minutes :)

                       

                      Here's a little bit of info on it for everyone:

                       

                      Jiaogulan – The ‘Immortality’ Tea

                       

                      Jiaogulan (pronounced ‘JOW GOO LANN’) is a Chinese herb which has been consumed for centuries for its reputed anti-aging, antioxidant and disease-fighting properties. Jiaogulan is sometimes called Five Leafed Ginseng or Southern Ginseng, since it grows in south central China and because of its similarity to ginseng in chemical composition and function. The plant is a member of the cucumber family and grows in clusters of five leaves. All parts of the plant may be dried and infused, and you will see the grassy look of the product, which consist of both leaves and stems, matted and held in shape by a very light sucrose. Thus, there is sweetness to the herb when infused, which occurs due to the natural sweetness of the leaf and the sucrose used to hold it together.

                       

                      Infusion Reccomendations: Infuse each ball in approximated 24 ounces of water at no more than 175 degrees for at least five minutes. Multiple infusions are strongly recommended. Successive infusions are smooth and delicious.

                       

                      Chinese history about the plant dates back to the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644 A.D.) The plant was used as both a dietary supplement and a food source. By the late 1500’s some theraputic claims began to be described. In the mountainous regions of Southern China, Jiaogulan was consumed for its apparent energizing effects, to increase strength and endurance and to relieve fatigue. Its uses and its reputation became comparable to those of ginseng. A frequently cited story states that in a village near Fanjing Mountain in Guizhou province, residents consumed tea made from the herb instead of the more commonly used green tea, and as a result many people in the village lived to 100 years of age or more. Thus the tea was named ‘Xiancao’, ‘Immortality herb’.

                       

                      Chinese herbology sources include Jiaogulan in the ‘Dictionary of Chinese Materia Medica’, where traditional uses for the herb as a medicine, are described. It is a recommended prescription for anti-inflammation, detoxification, cough remedy, and as an expectorant and chronic bronchitis remedy. Other claims for the effectiveness of the herb include its power as an antioxidant and its adaptogenic properties. The term ‘adaptogen’ describes herbs that help the out-of-balance body to normalize itself. So, for example, if you need to energize, the claim is that the plant will do that for you, and if you need to rest, the plant will calm you. Multiple research citations claim the effectiveness of Jiaogulan as an adaptogen, which is also very rich in antioxidants, amino acids, minerals, and is stimulant-free. The plant has attracted the attention of scientists not only in China, but also Europe and the U.S. Ther herb is being actively researched, but more studies on the human body are needed to prove its health claims.

                       

                      According to herbalists Jiaogulan is used for:

                       

                      -       Antioxidant and disease-fighting properties

                      -       Supports organ systems and blood function

                      -       Decreased cholesterol

                      -       Reduction of blood fat levels

                      -       Improved digestion and nutrient absorption

                      -       Increase in vitality and endurance

                      -       Improved athletic performance

                      -       Regulation of hormonal functions

                      -       Aids in weight loss

                      -       Improvement of sleep

                      -       Relief from fatigue enhanced resistance to disease

                      -       Calming and mood elevation


                       


                      That's interesting. I've never heard of that particular tea before. Thank you for posting the information. I do like tea, so I'll definitely look for this the next time I go grocery shopping.

                       

                      For coughs and sore throats, I've added cayenne pepper into my tea before. It works immediately. It's also known to better heart health among other benefits. It's one of the listed remedies on the website I posted. There's so many things I've learned from there.

                      Spearmint tea is another beneficial tea.
                       


                      *~*Chelsea & Eric*~* {{New wedding Date...Same Growing Love}} October 13, 2012 (Rome, Italy)




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users