Jump to content

Photo

Budget questions


  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#11 echraide

echraide
  • Jr. Member
  • 152 posts

    Posted 10 November 2010 - 11:41 AM

    forgive me if this is stupid, but are we talking 1500-1600 for 5 days or are we talking about flights?



    #12 cookiemunchkin

    cookiemunchkin
    • Jr. Member
    • 376 posts

      Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:37 PM

      not stupid at all... this was for a package (flights + accommodations).

       

      We ended up booking at approx $1600 per person... and pretty much everyone booked!  Guess I was just worrying too much.  And I'm glad we booked when we did, the price for the same week is at $2800 right now.  Yikes!

       

      Originally Posted by echraide 

      forgive me if this is stupid, but are we talking 1500-1600 for 5 days or are we talking about flights?





      #13 JetsettinBride

      JetsettinBride
      • Jr. Member
      • 299 posts

        Posted 10 November 2010 - 12:57 PM

        Thats good to hear cookiemunchkin. I'm going thru the same thing. I"m afraid the price is going to be out of the range for most people but I'm pretty sure the place I have selected is the place I want to be married.  Others keep telling me to do what is going to make me happy and that the people that really REALLY want to be at your wedding will make it here.



        #14 jana297

        jana297
        • Member
        • 646 posts

          Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:31 PM

          Hmmm These are intyeresting thoughts. I am shocked how quickly from day to day prices change. I'm a little worried myself!!


          Dreams Cacun Resort & Spa
          April 6, 2012

          #15 CanadianLindsey

          CanadianLindsey
          • Jr. Member
          • 284 posts

            Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:04 PM

            We picked a high end 5 star resort (El Dorado Royale) because it was important to us that everyone be happy, relaxed and feel like they were well taken care of(a lot of our family and friends are avid travellers!) Ours was $1900/person for one week from Edmonton to Cancun and you know what, everyone came that we really cared about except for one couple.  I think it is a once in a lifetime trip for most people and a lot of our guests are excited to be going to a resort they would never book on their own(and the amazing amenities and free 24 hr room service helps!).  We gave everyone a years notice and I think that helped too with saving up for the trip. 

            As long as your family and bridal party can afford it, pick YOUR favorite resort! :)



            #16 echraide

            echraide
            • Jr. Member
            • 152 posts

              Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:40 PM

              We're still too far out to obtain group rates and what not yet, but do they typically come down pretty far for groups? We're looking the Palace Resorts in the Riviera Maya area and w/travel for 5 nights for 2 adults is like $2700 and I live in Florida! I really had hopes to keep the costs low for my guests, but now i'm a little concerned. Do you all have any suggestions as to what resorts may be more reasonable or whether prices drop significantly when booking for wedding groups?



              #17 cookiemunchkin

              cookiemunchkin
              • Jr. Member
              • 376 posts

                Posted 10 November 2010 - 09:01 PM


                I had that same fear, and got the same advice you did.  We sent out an email before finalizing the group rate letting people know what the cost would be if we did the group rate (gave them a couple days to search on their own and see what a good deal it really was) and let us know if its likely they would book.  We got a lot of "yes" responses at that point... even from people who told us they didn't think they could afford higher than a certain amount.  Maybe try that with your guests?  If a lot of people are willing to pay then that should put your mind at ease.  If not, and its important to you that they be there, then you have time to look into other locations. 

                 

                People said the same thing to me... that those who really want to be there will... and my advice is to not think that way or you will set yourself up to be hurt.  There are always going to be people who are dying to be there for you but wont be able to because of finances, time off work, health reasons, etc.  I personally could never live with the guilt if people put themselves into debt just to attend my wedding.

                 

                 

                Quote:

                Originally Posted by JetsettinBride 

                Thats good to hear cookiemunchkin. I'm going thru the same thing. I"m afraid the price is going to be out of the range for most people but I'm pretty sure the place I have selected is the place I want to be married.  Others keep telling me to do what is going to make me happy and that the people that really REALLY want to be at your wedding will make it here.



                How far away is your wedding?  You'll generally get the best rates by booking early.  If you're more than a year out, I'd suggest keeping track of the price fluctuations over the next few weeks (something I wish I had done!) so that you know what its going to be like for people that aren't able to book early.  If its less than a year out, it is probably best to start getting group quotes soon.  Rates skyrocketed in my case (by $1000) after the "early booking" period. 

                 

                If you're looking at Riviera Maya area, try Dreams Tulum, Barcelo Maya and Bahia Principe.  Our TA suggested that Bahia Principe would have the most favorable pricing for us for what we were looking for.  We ended up booking Dreams Tulum on an early booking bonus for approx $1600 per person from various cities in Canada - much further than where you will be flying from!

                 

                Originally Posted by echraide 

                We're still too far out to obtain group rates and what not yet, but do they typically come down pretty far for groups? We're looking the Palace Resorts in the Riviera Maya area and w/travel for 5 nights for 2 adults is like $2700 and I live in Florida! I really had hopes to keep the costs low for my guests, but now i'm a little concerned. Do you all have any suggestions as to what resorts may be more reasonable or whether prices drop significantly when booking for wedding groups?





                #18 echraide

                echraide
                • Jr. Member
                • 152 posts

                  Posted 11 November 2010 - 06:29 AM



                  Originally Posted by cookiemunchkin 

                   


                  How far away is your wedding?  You'll generally get the best rates by booking early.  If you're more than a year out, I'd suggest keeping track of the price fluctuations over the next few weeks (something I wish I had done!) so that you know what its going to be like for people that aren't able to book early.  If its less than a year out, it is probably best to start getting group quotes soon.  Rates skyrocketed in my case (by $1000) after the "early booking" period. 

                   

                  If you're looking at Riviera Maya area, try Dreams Tulum, Barcelo Maya and Bahia Principe.  Our TA suggested that Bahia Principe would have the most favorable pricing for us for what we were looking for.  We ended up booking Dreams Tulum on an early booking bonus for approx $1600 per person from various cities in Canada - much further than where you will be flying from!

                   


                   


                  Our wedding isn't until June 2012. I've been doing tons of research, but the Palace resorts have that great perk of the $1500 in resort credit to use toward activities and all of the reviews have been very positive.  I'll check out the 2 you suggested now, so thank you. 



                  #19 cookiemunchkin

                  cookiemunchkin
                  • Jr. Member
                  • 376 posts

                    Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:42 PM

                    That Palace Resorts credit does sound pretty good... I was in love with Moon Palace but had to give up on it because the pricing was much higher than my guests were willing to pay. 

                     

                    You may want to check some of the threads in this forum for the Palace Resorts though... I do remember reading that some people had trouble using the Resort credit for certain things.  I dont remember the details, but I know there are some restrictions that people were not aware of.  If you're already aware, then great!  If not, just make sure you are though :)

                     

                    Originally Posted by echraide 



                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by cookiemunchkin 

                     


                    How far away is your wedding?  You'll generally get the best rates by booking early.  If you're more than a year out, I'd suggest keeping track of the price fluctuations over the next few weeks (something I wish I had done!) so that you know what its going to be like for people that aren't able to book early.  If its less than a year out, it is probably best to start getting group quotes soon.  Rates skyrocketed in my case (by $1000) after the "early booking" period. 

                     

                    If you're looking at Riviera Maya area, try Dreams Tulum, Barcelo Maya and Bahia Principe.  Our TA suggested that Bahia Principe would have the most favorable pricing for us for what we were looking for.  We ended up booking Dreams Tulum on an early booking bonus for approx $1600 per person from various cities in Canada - much further than where you will be flying from!

                     


                     


                    Our wedding isn't until June 2012. I've been doing tons of research, but the Palace resorts have that great perk of the $1500 in resort credit to use toward activities and all of the reviews have been very positive.  I'll check out the 2 you suggested now, so thank you. 





                    #20 Avens

                    Avens
                    • Member
                    • 576 posts

                      Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:23 AM


                      This is exactly what happened to us.  We ended up going with $1600, and I asked a few key people if it mattered, and they said it didn;t.

                       

                      I know when I had my quotes, from Winnipeg it was $1375ish for the Gran Bahia Tulum (I think) with Air Canada Vacations group rate. That was the lowest one I found.

                       

                       

                      Originally Posted by soontobemrsdow 

                      We were set on not going in unless it was $1500 or less but our resort came back at $1600...we hoed and hummed but really we figured it like this...if people will pay $1500 to come to your wedding an extra $100 for the most part, shouldn't be a deal breaker. We love our resort and couldn't imagine if we'd given it up for a couple hundred bucks because in the end its your day so go where makes you happy.







                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users