Officially Married Before?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 clinicalgal

clinicalgal
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:24 PM

Hi everyone!
    My wedding date is fast approaching (end of this month! eek!) and we are confused about the logistics of actually getting married. We are doing a religious/symbolic ceremony in Mexico but are we supposed to get officially married before we leave for the destination wedding?? Has anyone else done this? How did it work out??
    June 28th, 2010 was the day!
    Bride, Groom, & 50 Guests danced the night away!

#2 knitgirl13

knitgirl13
    • 276 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 12:33 PM

You can do it either way, but a lot of people do the legal part at home before because it's a hassle with having to get to Mexico 3-4 days early, document translations, blood tests, etc.

#3 clinicalgal

clinicalgal
      • 38 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by knitgirl13
        You can do it either way, but a lot of people do the legal part at home before because it's a hassle with having to get to Mexico 3-4 days early, document translations, blood tests, etc.
        So do people get officially married at home before, or just get the licenses?? That's the part i'm confused about. We want to get officially married in the states, but also want the destination wedding to feel like "the real thing" - what are others doing??
        June 28th, 2010 was the day!
        Bride, Groom, & 50 Guests danced the night away!

#4 knitgirl13

knitgirl13
        • 276 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

A lot of people who get legally married at home don't exchange rings or vows and just do the paperwork so it doesn't feel "real" until the destination wedding.

Here's a thread with a lot of helpful info:
          http://bestdestinati....eremony-41479/

#5 Norma83

Norma83
          • 173 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by clinicalgal
            So do people get officially married at home before, or just get the licenses?? That's the part i'm confused about. We want to get officially married in the states, but also want the destination wedding to feel like "the real thing" - what are others doing??
            Hi Clinicalgal -

I think people get officially married at home, which you get your official license. Then when you have your destination wedding you would just have the Symbolic Ceremony. In your case it would be the religious ceremony.

My fiance and I are planning to have both a civil and symbolic ceremony. For the symbolic part, we wanted to stick to the catholic tradition and get married by the church. So we'll be having a Catholic Ceremony. In order for us to do this, we have to have permission from our parish here in the states and we still have to provide documentation of our sacraments, etc.

I hope this helps!
            -Norma

#6 Kristy!

Kristy!

VIP Member

• VIP Member
            • 6,368 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

Did you do a search? There are tons of threads talking about legal vs. symbolic ceremonies and getting married at home first.

#7 YIweddings

YIweddings
              • 173 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:41 PM

We're getting married legally at home first, short and sweet with no frills. When we travel we will have a symbolic ceremony with friends and family, walk down the aisle, rings, flowers, dinner, dancing...
                It is easier to get married here first and I'm trying to convince my FI that means we'll have to celebrate twice a year!!
                Soon to be Mrs. Kramer

#8 CourtneyV

CourtneyV
                • 4,979 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:46 PM

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Kristy!
                  Did you do a search? There are tons of threads talking about legal vs. symbolic ceremonies and getting married at home first.
                  Amen!! This is probably one of the most discussed topics, there is definitely lots of information out there already!!
                  Happily Married since May 9, 2008
                  Proud Mama to Evelyn Eileen since June 8, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users