Sign in to follow this  
clinicalgal

Officially Married Before?

Hi everyone!

My wedding date is fast approaching (end of this month! eek!) and we are confused about the logistics of actually getting married. We are doing a religious/symbolic ceremony in Mexico but are we supposed to get officially married before we leave for the destination wedding?? Has anyone else done this? How did it work out??

You can do it either way, but a lot of people do the legal part at home before because it's a hassle with having to get to Mexico 3-4 days early, document translations, blood tests, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitgirl13 View Post
You can do it either way, but a lot of people do the legal part at home before because it's a hassle with having to get to Mexico 3-4 days early, document translations, blood tests, etc.
So do people get officially married at home before, or just get the licenses?? That's the part i'm confused about. We want to get officially married in the states, but also want the destination wedding to feel like "the real thing" - what are others doing??

Quote:
Originally Posted by clinicalgal View Post
So do people get officially married at home before, or just get the licenses?? That's the part i'm confused about. We want to get officially married in the states, but also want the destination wedding to feel like "the real thing" - what are others doing??
Hi Clinicalgal -

I think people get officially married at home, which you get your official license. Then when you have your destination wedding you would just have the Symbolic Ceremony. In your case it would be the religious ceremony.

My fiance and I are planning to have both a civil and symbolic ceremony. For the symbolic part, we wanted to stick to the catholic tradition and get married by the church. So we'll be having a Catholic Ceremony. In order for us to do this, we have to have permission from our parish here in the states and we still have to provide documentation of our sacraments, etc.

I hope this helps!
-Norma

Did you do a search? There are tons of threads talking about legal vs. symbolic ceremonies and getting married at home first.

We're getting married legally at home first, short and sweet with no frills. When we travel we will have a symbolic ceremony with friends and family, walk down the aisle, rings, flowers, dinner, dancing...

It is easier to get married here first and I'm trying to convince my FI that means we'll have to celebrate twice a year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy! View Post
Did you do a search? There are tons of threads talking about legal vs. symbolic ceremonies and getting married at home first.
Amen!! This is probably one of the most discussed topics, there is definitely lots of information out there already!! wink.gif